User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2023 11:23:56 AM EDT
Michigan Gov. Whitmer signs gun reform bills
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Lies on Lies on Lies.

FGW

Guess I'll throw some money to FPC today...if we don't push back on these, HB6544 (AWB) will be up next.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lies on Lies on Lies.

FGW

Guess I'll throw some money to FPC today...if we don't push back on these, HB6544 (AWB) will be up next.
View Quote

Agreed.   Why FPC and not GOA or 2A Foundation?  What organizations actually opposed these bills from the beginning?  That's where I want my $ to go.  

A lot of the MI gun advocacy groups didn't seem to engaged while these bills were still in commitee.  Great Lakes Gun Rights mentioned a recall effort - no idea if that's going anywhere.  MCRGO testified at the committee hearings.  Besides that the state level advocates haven't seemed all that engaged.  No rally's or protests were organized.  No ad campaigns or news interviews.  MI Gun Owners specifically, didn't appear to do anything.  Members on their forum even called out leadership asking them what they planned to do and they were told to donate without being given any specifics.

It would be nice to know the organization your donating to is going to use your $ to actually fight this shit.  If anyone has any insights, please share.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Just personal opinion here, but it seems FPC is actually winning cases nationwide.  Examples: California and Massachusetts Handgun Roster, Minnesota Young Adult Carry Ban, New Mexico young adult AWB and Semi Auto Pistol Ban.  All within the last year.

Sadly, I can't seem to find any local organizations that have any real teeth.

On another note, I read the bills Whitler passed today will have 90 days before they are enforced, so grab any additional long guns you want before they have to be registered.  Anyone else hear/see anything different?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

On another note, I read the bills Whitler passed today will have 90 days before they are enforced, so grab any additional long guns you want before they have to be registered.  Anyone else hear/see anything different?
View Quote

Sage advise.  I also believe it is 90 days after the current legislative session.   So it wouldn't be until 90 days into 2024.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sage advise.  I also believe it is 90 days after the current legislative session.   So it wouldn't be until 90 days into 2024.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, at least I have almost a year to move out of Michigan.  Been here 15 years, looks like time to move on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well, at least I have almost a year to move out of Michigan.  Been here 15 years, looks like time to move on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did surrender and retreat become such a knee-jerk response to these things?

- Educate as many gun owners as you can on these new laws - encourage them to vote.
- Contact your reps and the governors office, AGAIN (if you didn't the first time around WTF not?).
- Donate to organizations like FPC, GOA, MCRGO and Great Lakes Gun Rights who can bring legal suit.
- Petition your county government to ignore and not enforce the new laws.  Vote for candidates that will too.
- If your in a blue county, move to a red one and stay in the fight.

A little over 24 hrs in and you're ready to jump ship?  We can still see the dock!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live in WI, ~20 miles from the U.P., for the past 31 years. I worked in the U.P. a few days per month, for 25 years.

I've been following all this bullshit because...

My daughter, 20 y.o. granddaughter, and 14 y.o. grandson live in the U.P., on the Huron Bay lakeshore, north of L'Anse. Daughter also owns a cabin on 62 acres near Watersmeet in the U.P. (30 miles from me), surrounded by Ottawa N.F., where I hunt and we have a shooting range set up. I don't live in MI, but go to the U.P. quite often...got a U.P. turkey tag that's valid in 8 days from now. Both my wife and I are "semi" retired (still work part time just to keep active), and we were considering moving up near L'Anse also, within the next year or two. Nope, not now! I own lots of firearms, not going through all that registration bullshit. But I will donate to help you guys fight this crap in court, before this shit spreads here like a bad virus. Sorry, I can't vote there.

This also brings up a question I have on the long gun "registration" bullshit. For a non-resident to possess a handgun in MI, they need some sort of "license" or other govt permission slip from their home state. Here in WI, only a concealed carry licenses are available as that permission slip, we have no FOID cards like IL, no "permit to purchase" crap here either.

Under current law, if you want to hunt or target shoot with a handgun in MI as a non-resident (even on land you own), that govt permission slip is required. Will that also be the case for long guns now too, when this goes into full effect? Will deer/grouse/turkey/waterfowl/coyote hunters from WI (and other states) who hunt with a long gun in MI, now need a ccw license or other document, like we do to possess handguns? eta: already sucks that I can't hunt with my .450 BM AR there because all my magazines have a 9 round capacity.

Also... I have a ccw license so I'm GTG, but my wife does not. If she goes with me to the U.P. to hunt or target shoot, and I bring a dozen guns, will they consider some to be in her possession if they're in the back of her Jeep Cherokee or my Wrangler? We have no "registration" crap here either, no way to document who 'owns' what.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I read somewhere that Michigan has two year legislative sessions? So the session will end in December 2024 and the new laws take effect in 2025?

Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
MIGOV PDF I read said this Dec. 2023
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Simply not complying is cheaper and easier, just say'n.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eh, Don't feel like giving this state any more money than needed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It worked for the weed lovers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't even pay attention to these stupid ass bills.  So are we supposed to register stuff we currently own, or do you need to register guns you purchase after this goes into effect?

Wonder how much longer until these clowns push an AWB through.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When did surrender and retreat become such a knee-jerk response to these things?

- Educate as many gun owners as you can on these new laws - encourage them to vote.
- Contact your reps and the governors office, AGAIN (if you didn't the first time around WTF not?).
- Donate to organizations like FPC, GOA, MCRGO and Great Lakes Gun Rights who can bring legal suit.
- Petition your county government to ignore and not enforce the new laws.  Vote for candidates that will too.
- If your in a blue county, move to a red one and stay in the fight.

A little over 24 hrs in and you're ready to jump ship?  We can still see the dock!
View Quote

Lol.
Voting and playing the game and obeying is what got us here.
You can go down with the ship if you wish. No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't even pay attention to these stupid ass bills.  So are we supposed to register stuff we currently own, or do you need to register guns you purchase after this goes into effect?

Wonder how much longer until these clowns push an AWB through.
View Quote

Purchase permits for all guns and seller sends in the registration forms is my understanding
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lol.
Voting and playing the game and obeying is what got us here.
You can go down with the ship if you wish. No thanks.
View Quote

So the only things you're capable of are obeying or running away - got it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Any gun that has an upper and lower receiver simply split the gun in two and sell in two transactions. That way the gun doesn't meet the definition of a firearm therefore not subject to the new R-60. Just like now if you buy a lower pistol receiver the ffl will not give you a R-60.

Above is my inturpation. Not legal advice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any gun that has an upper and lower receiver simply split the gun in two and sell in two transactions. That way the gun doesn't meet the definition of a firearm therefore not subject to the new R-60. Just like now if you buy a lower pistol receiver the ffl will not give you a R-60.

View Quote

You had my attention.

Now you have my curiosity.

Does the SOM have a different legal definition of a firearm than the federal one?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure that will fly, but I'm for sure not going to use a form or backgroubd check for a private sale for any gun owned before this law is enacted.
Only complete gun registration will make this universal background check junk work. As long as folks don't comply, then it will never work.
Now, that does not mean I won't buy some new guns using their process, but I still don't have to comply with selling or giving of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that will fly, but I'm for sure not going to use a form or backgroubd check for a private sale for any gun owned before this law is enacted.
Only complete gun registration will make this universal background check junk work. As long as folks don't comply, then it will never work.
Now, that does not mean I won't buy some new guns using their process, but I still don't have to comply with selling or giving of firearms.
View Quote

This write your local law enforcement, pressure them to not enforce this. encourage everyone friends, family, gun buyers etc. To not comply when phurchasing/selling via private sale.

I also fail to see how the state will undertake this massive addition in "paperwork" they can't handle the current handgun registration, which is good for us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top