Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2020 11:19:34 AM EDT
Greetings Wyoming.  I'm planning on a 2020 trip to your great state for a antelope hunt.  I'm a whitetail guy from the Midwest and the dream of a western hunt from when I was a lad is starting to take shape.  I chose DIY public land antelope as an intro to western big game. Plan is to drive out, hunt 3-4 days to try to harvest a buck, trophy not important.  I understand the specifics to State and BLM land use/access.  I'll be hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor, have a rangefinder and decent binos.

I've picked up my first pref point, however I'll likely try to get into a (hopefully) NE zero PP - unit 16.  I have onx hunt, so doing some aerial scouting with this and county GIS.  I'm prepared to do a lot of hiking in this unit due to the limited access from public roads and I'm accustomed to this hunting whitetail.  I selected the unit based on draw rates, success rates, proximity to a city and closer location for a long drive from Michigan.

Questions I have - answer by IM is fine.

Important to hit opening day, 10/1?  Does waiting have any advantage or will the goats be hung up in private?
Any advice to unit 16 specifics?  I'm focused currently on the western half that looks less broken up.  Currently have a handful of BLM and State land selected as potentials.  
Is a water source important to locate a hunt near?
Is it safe to truck Camp on BLM?
Tire chains needed for off-road?  4Runner here.  
Are the biologists or game wardens specific to the different herds/areas a good resource?
Other small game opportunities during the 10/1-14 period?
Other tips?

Appreciate any and all responses, advice, recommendations in advance.  Like I said, I'm really looking forward to this adventure and will have a hard time not over preparing and researching the snot out of this before I head out! .  Can't wait!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I know some spots to hunt around the Cody area.
Trophy bucks can be hard to come by.
One year I counted all the bucks I saw and shot #163 the day before the season ended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top