Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2022 1:52:12 AM EDT
So whats the deal with these new unconstitutional laws regarding purchasing ammo?
Background check?
Online purchase?
Does anyone know? Or is it all BS?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not purchased since just before the SAFE Act restrictions took effect. I used that time wisely and prices were still not that bad.

These days I would find it easier to head out of state and make purchases there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
buy out of state, fuck ny
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I place ammo orders online 3x/year and have it shipped to my place in FL and then drive it back up to NY. Only three more years in this sh!thole gulag until I'm down there full time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
There are several online sellers that will still ship to NY.  Two of which I use have competitive pricing.  Just got some 9mm the other day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are several online sellers that will still ship to NY.
View Quote

Until September 1st. Unless an injunction is filed before then, plan on buying out of state.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Until September 1st. Unless an injunction is filed before then, plan on buying out of state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are several online sellers that will still ship to NY.

It was already banned under safe act 2 but it didn't stop some out of state sellers from shipping to NY.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Many online sellers have been requiring an ffl to ship to for years.(then the ffl does nothing but maybe check age)

I'm certainly not in favor of it but buying a case online and picking it up at the ffl isn't that bad.

Now we'll presumably have to wait for a BC also.

Worst case now is the system isn't ready but they won't delay the law so we get a de facto ban on buying ammo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I got 200 rounds of 270 lead free the other day.
I'll die before I shoot it all.

Need more 9mm and 308.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was already banned under safe act 2 but it didn't stop some out of state sellers from shipping to NY.
View Quote

That is because the previous background check requirement was suspended on July 10th 2015.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/catharine-young/safe-act-ammunition-database-suspended

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is because the previous background check requirement was suspended on July 10th 2015.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/catharine-young/safe-act-ammunition-database-suspended

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better order quick & stack it deep!

ETA/ hopefully they will figure out background checks on every box of ammo is not realistic like they did the last time around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got 200 rounds of 270 lead free the other day.
I'll die before I shoot it all.

Need more 9mm and 308.
View Quote

Holy cow how old are you?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So whats the deal with these new unconstitutional laws regarding purchasing ammo?
Background check?
Online purchase?
Does anyone know? Or is it all BS?
View Quote

Ammo tax to fund the state-run background check. Last I heard it was going to be .02-.03 per round
Ammo out of reach of customers inside the store
Hasn't taken effect yet
I fully expect the NYSP will be monitoring FFLs across the state lines the way the CA guys are supposedly watching dealers in AZ for cars with CA plates.
I'm pretty sure the ammo background check thing kicks in around early December
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ammo tax to fund the state-run background check. Last I heard it was going to be .02-.03 per round
Ammo out of reach of customers inside the store
Hasn't taken effect yet
I fully expect the NYSP will be monitoring FFLs across the state lines the way the CA guys are supposedly watching dealers in AZ for cars with CA plates.
I'm pretty sure the ammo background check thing kicks in around early December
View Quote

It's not illegal to buy ammo across the state lines. This new "law" goes not forbid it. What would the NYSP be able to do to you if you were observed buying ammunition from, say, Cabela's?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy cow how old are you?
View Quote

I have a whole bunch of other 270.
This ammo will be a few rounds a year for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not illegal to buy ammo across the state lines. This new "law" goes not forbid it. What would the NYSP be able to do to you if you were observed buying ammunition from, say, Cabela's?
View Quote

I dont take anything that Albany wants to inflict on us for granted
Your points are good, and I don't have an answer for you.
But you can bet that if Albany is going to the extent they are to control the sale of ammo in the state, they'll get around to addressing out of state sales to NY residents
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But you can bet that if Albany is going to the extent they are to control the sale of ammo in the state, they'll get around to addressing out of state sales to NY residents
View Quote

I agree, it's hard for many of us to swallow the fact that the once great state of NY has been transformed into a completely corrupt 3rd world communist shithole. Think about this, the last 3 Governors + a lieutenant Governor had to resign, the former speaker of the NY assembly died in jail & the last head of the senate is not far behind.
The politicians basically made it nearly legal for criminal thugs to do whatever they want with ZERO consequences, while turning law abiding citizens into felons for even thinking of defending themselves;  its time for most of us to divest of our NY assets & head to free America.
I'm almost out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Think "fireworks", like purchasing fireworks in PA and driving up I-81 towards Binghamton. While it would be more involved in tracking since someone walking into Cabela's, for example, could be buying things other than ammo (unlike a fireworks store whose sole inventory is illegal in New York), the enforcement idea is the same.

If I were doing any firearms related purchases out of state these days, I would bring and pay with cash opting not to provide any identifiable info unless required by the state I am in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunately the ban on online ammo sales / the ammo background check / tax is not being challenged by any of the lawsuits right?

If we can't get (affordable) ammo...we might as well turn in our guns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Unfortunately the ban on online ammo sales / the ammo background check / tax is not being challenged by any of the lawsuits right?

If we can't get (affordable) ammo...we might as well turn in our guns.
View Quote

Right?

Fortunately, I have enough ammo for several years as long as I don't play at the range like I used to 15 years ago.  

At least VT is not too far away...

I am going to place one last order of 22LR in a few days, still debating on another case of 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Think "fireworks", like purchasing fireworks in PA and driving up I-81 towards Binghamton. While it would be more involved in tracking since someone walking into Cabela's, for example, could be buying things other than ammo (unlike a fireworks store whose sole inventory is illegal in New York), the enforcement idea is the same.

If I were doing any firearms related purchases out of state these days, I would bring and pay with cash opting not to provide any identifiable info unless required by the state I am in.
View Quote

But the mere possession of fireworks in NY is illegal... ammo is not. If they ban buying out of state and transporting back to NY, now they are messing with interstate commerce, and that belongs to the feds to decide on... NY will get a quick slap down on arresting someone for that...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But the mere possession of fireworks in NY is illegal... ammo is not. If they ban buying out of state and transporting back to NY, now they are messing with interstate commerce, and that belongs to the feds to decide on... NY will get a quick slap down on arresting someone for that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the question is how does New York get to ban the online sale of ammo if it's coming from out of state?

Is that not interfering with interstate commerce too?

I guess if the law is only for online ammo sellers selling to NY residents...but an out of state ammo seller?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I guess the question is how does New York get to ban the online sale of ammo if it's coming from out of state?

Is that not interfering with interstate commerce too?

I guess if the law is only for online ammo sellers selling to NY residents...but an out of state ammo seller?
View Quote

They arent banning it, just placing retarded restrictions on it. Saying it has to be sent to an FFL in NY...

And yes, that is screwing with interstate commerce, but its already been tossed out of court in years past. But an individual buying it out of state and transporting an unrestricted item into the state is a whole different story.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not that I would ever subvert or work around something NYS foisted upon me, but... When I'd travel back & forth to Florida I'd rent an econo car between what I saved in gas and the cost per mile for oil changes, it was less expensive to rent from Enterprise to make the 3K worth of driving.  

One weekend my Truck broke down on Thursday and Friday I had to leave for the Rochester Gun Show: Cost me $100. for the weekend which was fine and it hauled all the crap there and back.

Licenses plates could be from anywhere and will come back to the Rental Company, not worth the hassle of tracking unless it were provable a crime was committed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
"Governor Ho, if NY is OK with people traveling across state lines to kill their babies, then surely you're ok with people doing the same to purchase firearms and ammo, right?"
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Governor Ho, if NY is OK with people traveling across state lines to kill their babies, then surely you're ok with people doing the same to purchase firearms and ammo, right?"
View Quote

Excellent point but I am sure the irony would be wasted on the fake governor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top