Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2021 11:16:08 AM EDT
I am moving to FL and having difficulty with getting decent insurance.
My friend, an appraiser, in MA told me Allstate often writes used parts in car repair estimates in the Northeast.

I was wondering for those that use Allstate car insurance in FL - do/did they ever write used parts for your car repair?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had Allstate for car insurance in years, but Geico, and I assume all others, will use aftermarket parts such as panels and bumper covers, lights, etc., if the car is over X number of years.  I was unfortunate to have to find that out when another Geico customer hit my car while it was parked in a supermarket parking lot.  Imagine, you're not at fault, your car loses value from an accident, your car loses more value because aftermarket parts were used to fix it, and the insurance company makes money!!!  Car insurance is a profit-driven, government-mandated, evil that does not look out for their client's interest.  I have since opted to buy Liability coverage and take care of any fixes myself, selecting the parts and shops that are used in the process.

Good luck

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you go about buying your own liability insurance? I am aware of the requirement to use aftermarket parts for cars over a certain age. I believe it's 1 year.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If you think Allstate or Geico are cheapskates, you haven't dealt with Bristol West. My truck and neighbor's full size sedan were hit while parked on 9/12/21. Having no cooperation on 9/20/21, I had to call their corporate office to get their adjuster on the phone.

She told me I would have to use my State Farm policy to fix my truck. State Farm had it fixed by 9/29/21. They filed subrogation on 10/9/21. Bristol West still has not reimbursed State Farm.

And ...
it's day 59 since the crash and my neighbor has been turned down for a rental car and his sedan has not been towed to a repair facility.

F Bristol West!
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had Allstate for about 30 years and pretty pleased. Never raised rates for tickets etc.

The 4 times I needed to use for repairs it was always new parts. On all 4 occasions the cars were a few years old and the accidents were not our fault.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I had allstate and they raised my rates for no reason. Switched to State Farm for the same coverage and overall costs dropped $500/yr. A/S - take a hike!
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you go about buying your own liability insurance? I am aware of the requirement to use aftermarket parts for cars over a certain age. I believe it's 1 year.
View Quote

When renewing your policy, instead of selecting comprehensive, select liability only (it could be called something else, but basically it allows you to save on premiums and and pay for repairs on your own vehicle out of pocket), and then select your deductible; the higher the deductible, the lower the premium.  You usually get a discount if you pay up front, once a year, instead of monthly, so ask them.  I believe there's a minimum level of liability insurance that is required, at least in my state, but I always select something higher, since I'm saving on the rest, and this is the country of lawyers, after all, and we all know many aren't honest, just like the rest of the population.  

Good luck!

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask the agent to drop the collision but keep the fire and theft, at least thats what I did on the motorcycle. So an accident thats not your fault is paid by the other side, eventually, but fire or theft is paid ASAP by your insurance. This dropped my motorcycle insurance in half. Its a racing bike so the rates were high. You could also drop the fire and theft be pure liability.  

Higher deductible does not always equal a better rate but its is something to check. I tried raising my deductible to $1000 from $100 and it was actually not worth it.

My liability is higher at 500k and umbrella kicks in after thats.

Don't over insure  yourself. Again ask an agent. My understanding in FL you can't loose your house or retirement funds. I guess I should have use the word "sheltered".
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Had Allstate (auto & homeowners) for probably 25+ years in TX, always handled claims, no issue in TX.  The rates got so high, switch to other insurance company in TX.  Moving to Key West in December, so looking for auto insurance too, have farm bureau insurance policy here, no go in KW...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top