Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2018 5:04:41 PM EDT
I personally know a couple of the commissioners. They are Assholes!

So, now we get a 5-day waiting period and background checks on ALL firearms sales including private. Man, I really hate this county. I can't wait to sell out and move to the coast.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180626/gun-waiting-period-extended-to-5-days-in-alachua-county

Buying a firearm in Alachua County now will take a little longer.

People who want to buy guns in the county will soon have to go through a longer waiting period than the three-day waiting period required by the state.

The Alachua County Commission Tuesday morning passed an ordinance that requires a criminal history check and five-day waiting period on the sale of any firearm in Alachua County.

The background check will delve into the criminal and history of a potential buyer and will be conducted by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Before Tuesday, there was no Alachua County ordinance governing the sale of firearms.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You sure it requires background on private sales held on private property?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Per the constitution:

Each county shall have the authority to require a criminal history records check and a 3 to 5-day waiting period, excluding weekends and legal holidays, in connection with the sale of any firearm occurring within such county. For purposes of this subsection, the term "sale" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration for any firearm when any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has the right of access. Holders of a concealed weapons permit as prescribed by general law shall not be subject to the provisions of this subsection when purchasing a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Per the constitution:

Each county shall have the authority to require a criminal history records check and a 3 to 5-day waiting period, excluding weekends and legal holidays, in connection with the sale of any firearm occurring within such county. For purposes of this subsection, the term "sale" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration for any firearm when any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has the right of access. Holders of a concealed weapons permit as prescribed by general law shall not be subject to the provisions of this subsection when purchasing a firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Per the constitution:

So no on Private property. My county is the same excpt no background only 3 day wait.

Wish there was a list on county gun sales by county.  Mine is in the County Ordnance Book.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Per the constitution:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Per the constitution:

Seems to be correct. Of course the news article doesn't state it clearly and I haven't had time to research it. Thanks for post that. I'm just pissed because today was full of MAGA and then I hear this crap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What?!  you don't "feel" safer now?  

Seriously, that sucks, but.... Gainesville.
View Quote
Yes.....Gainesville.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the "big" gun shops is posting on Fakebook that they will not enforce it. Can't wait to see how that plays out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm an Alachua sufferer as well. We need an ARF dinner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
honestly guys, while I wont stop fighting the simple fact is these are just small previews of whats coming to this state.  Florida will be solid blue in my lifetime.  You simply can't have the influx of NE libs and "other" demographics into this state and survive as a conservative bastion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
As an FFL, should any of the county commissioners just happen to use me for a transfer, they will be subject to a 29 day wait, excluding weekends & holidays. They will also be referred for a metal health evaluation and be required to produce a document from a board certified mental health Doc, stating they are of sound mind. I happen to know a good one. In addition they will be referred to ACSO for a physical inspection of their home to be sure that they have secure storage. During this period I will test fire their firearm and submit recovered projectiles and cartridge cases to FDLE for cataloging. On the 20th day they will have to submit for a drug & alcohol test. Finally, they will have to demonstrate to me safe loading, unloading, firing, disassembly, reassembly, pass a shooting proficiency & qualification test of no less than 300 shots then pass a 20 Question written test with essay questions regarding firearm laws. Finally they will have to sign a waiver of liability in the presence of an attorney. The FDLE NICS check is only good for 30 days. If they do not complete the required prerequisite in that time period, they forfeit the firearm.

Hmm, I think I'll write that up and anonymously mail it to each commissioner so they don't know who the dealer is in case they decide to purchase a firearm in the future. Not that any of them own icky guns.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
My money says the commissioners are afraid of icky guns. You won't see them in your shop. I, however, have a chainsaw in need of a tune up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Per the constitution:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Per the constitution:

That is the actual section of the state constitution;  LOCAL OPTION: SECTION 5 B that describes the only sort,  and the limitations of, the ordinances that counties can enact.

Expect the politicians and the  media to intentionally and incorrectly paraphrase and summarize the county gun sale ordinances in order to expand the actual limits of those ordinances to include "all sales".

Background checks and waiting periods are NOT REQUIRED for private sales taking place SOLELY on private property;  therefore, if your prospective buyer doesn't have a concealed weapons permit,  don't conduct the negotiations on "property to which the public has access" and then perform the transfer and payment on private property since you CAN be pinched by an undercover who may have set you up.

Those with concealed firearms permits are not affected by these ordinances at all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Although not out of the realm of possibility with the number of shootings, murders, firearms thefts, felons, dopers, and delinquents in possession of firearms mostly stolen, real firearms crimes. I'm not thinking any law enforcement agency is going to devote a significant amount of resources to set up a misdemeanor ordinance violation enforcement operation.

However the job of the executive branch is to enforce the laws passed by the legislatures they serve. The citizens of Alachua County get the government they elect. We even vote ourselves higher taxes everytime a proposal gets on the ballot. Arts, education, courthouse, green space we vote for it all half cents full cents whatever just about everytime.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
None of 'em will.

But I'll tell the ones I work with (@the other college in town, we have a few of the city and county and now state members that work for us) that they have just motivated me to get my CCW permit.

Quoted:
As an FFL, should any of the county commissioners just happen to use me for a transfer, they will be subject to a 29 day wait, excluding weekends & holidays. They will also be referred for a metal health evaluation and be required to produce a document from a board certified mental health Doc, stating they are of sound mind. I happen to know a good one. In addition they will be referred to ACSO for a physical inspection of their home to be sure that they have secure storage. During this period I will test fire their firearm and submit recovered projectiles and cartridge cases to FDLE for cataloging. On the 20th day they will have to submit for a drug & alcohol test. Finally, they will have to demonstrate to me safe loading, unloading, firing, disassembly, reassembly, pass a shooting proficiency & qualification test of no less than 300 shots then pass a 20 Question written test with essay questions regarding firearm laws. Finally they will have to sign a waiver of liability in the presence of an attorney. The FDLE NICS check is only good for 30 days. If they do not complete the required prerequisite in that time period, they forfeit the firearm.

Hmm, I think I'll write that up and anonymously mail it to each commissioner so they don't know who the dealer is in case they decide to purchase a firearm in the future. Not that any of them own icky guns.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I personally know a couple of the commissioners. They are Assholes!

So, now we get a 5-day waiting period and background checks on ALL firearms sales including private. Man, I really hate this county. I can't wait to sell out and move to the coast.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180626/gun-waiting-period-extended-to-5-days-in-alachua-county

Buying a firearm in Alachua County now will take a little longer.

People who want to buy guns in the county will soon have to go through a longer waiting period than the three-day waiting period required by the state.

The Alachua County Commission Tuesday morning passed an ordinance that requires a criminal history check and five-day waiting period on the sale of any firearm in Alachua County.

The background check will delve into the criminal and history of a potential buyer and will be conducted by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Before Tuesday, there was no Alachua County ordinance governing the sale of firearms.
View Quote
Leon County did the same....

And people say gun control is only a South Florida problem.

LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
honestly guys, while I wont stop fighting the simple fact is these are just small previews of whats coming to this state.  Florida will be solid blue in my lifetime.  You simply can't have the influx of NE libs and "other" demographics into this state and survive as a conservative bastion.
View Quote
As a Wa state person thats coming to your state, I can tell you whats coming down the pipe.  Tax on all transfers and mandated background checks for ALL transactions (even though its totally unenforceable) and an ammo tax, per round.

Then you will see all the gun shops pick up and move business out side of said city/county to not have to deal with it.

Im bringing a family of hard red voters next week.  Wont offset much, but its something.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
When any of the Liberals I work with start talking about retiring to Florida, I remind them that "Global Warming" will put over 87% of the State underwater in less than 10 years!

What we need are a series of Cat.5 hurricanes to scare off anybody who really doesn't have the fortitude to live in real Florida.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Im bringing a family of hard red voters next week.  Wont offset much, but its something.
View Quote
Sweet,
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same thing is happening in TX.  Same thing happened in CA, first when Reagan signed the amnesty of 3 mil in exchange for a promised wall that never got built in the 80s, then when some court invalidated prop 187 in CA in the early 90s which would have given the state the power to assess the nationality of criminal suspects and could have turned the demographics of the state around.

The trump election was the fly 93 election b/c demographics are the ONLY thing that mattered.  If we cannot turn around the demographic trends by ending the invasion, deporting any and every illegal and their anchor babies, ending birthright citizenship, the diversity lottery and family chain migration our children can look forward to government persecution for our culture and our beliefs, not just being denied jobs, promotions, spots in schools, but being put in gulags for failing to turn in our guns and for wrong think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top