Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2021 3:24:51 PM EDT
I doubt it but who knows?  Depends on how much they want to fan the flames here in Texas.

Just a little reminder that national news events & disruptions could happen anytime or anywhere, even smaller communities like Sherman, TX.

@Gopher

The lynching began as so many did, with a Black man accused of raping a White woman.

George Hughes, a farmhand in Sherman, Tex., was arrested for allegedly assaulting the wife of his boss after trying to collect $6 in payment for his labor.

Hughes was brought to the Grayson County courthouse for his trial on May 9, 1930 — a year during which the economic pain and resentments of the Great Depression spurred a threefold increase in lynchings across the nation.

A mob of White men — many of them tenant farmers — women and children surrounded the courthouse and jammed the corridors. Hughes, supposedly protected by Texas Rangers, including the legendary Capt. Francis A. Hamer, was locked inside a walk-in vault in the second story of the courthouse. The enraged mob lit the building on fire and Hughes, 41, suffocated.

Yet the crowd was not appeased; the rioters blasted the vault open, took Hughes’s body, chained it to a car and dragged it to the town’s Black business district, where they hung the body from a cottonwood tree, mutilated it and lit a fire beneath it before burning the commercial area down and warning Black residents to leave town.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/06/03/sherman-riot-texas-lynching-marker/

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not giving WaPo the click.

The Left will continue to stir the pot.  I doubt that Grayson County will be much of a target for any BLM bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not giving WaPo the click.

The Left will continue to stir the pot.  I doubt that Grayson County will be much of a target for any BLM bullshit.
View Quote

Gainesville was all last summer.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think this one will get much traction. Right now the community, black and white, are in agreement that a marker should be placed with an explanation of the events of the day and afterward. There are some rumblings about a statue dedicated to those who served in the war but the County Commissioners have said it will stay. The usual suspects have made an appearance there a time or two but got a rather cool reception so time will tell.

Here is a FaceBook post about this subject. The facts stated are part of the reason I don't think there will be much flack on it here.

Historical Marker for the 1930 Sherman Riot

Texas Historical Marker Update:

There’s a strong likelihood that a major national newspaper will run an article tomorrow about our efforts to get a “Sherman 1930 Race Riot & Lynching” historical marker.  
   A positive outcome came from the Sherman riot, in the character of William Durham, who’s African-American law office was burned down.   Durham didn’t flee. He stayed and worked with a young NAACP attorney named Thurgood Marshall after the riot.
   Marshall would drive up from Dallas to Sherman, that in itself was a dangerous thing to do.  Together, in Sherman, at the Durham home which still stands today - they both drafted Sweatt Vs. Painter, which they won.  The lawsuit forced UT Law School to accept black students.  
   Later, Durham & Marshall wrote Brown Vs. Board of Education, which Marshall presented before the U.S. Supreme Court.  They won that one too.  Ending school segregation in the U.S.A.
    All these good works are the beautiful Phoenix that rose the 1930 Sherman Riot ashes.  The little Durham house in Sherman is small, only 994 sq ft.  But it is a giant symbol in America’s fight for individual freedoms and liberty. The little house is of immense historical significance, and it’s just sitting there, still occupied on Brockett Street.
   Judge Bill Magers and the Commissioners Court again rejected discussion of the approval of the marker at this week’s meeting.  Call them. Write them.  Tell them of the enormity of this misadventure.
Support this Texas Historical Marker by signing the petition: http://chng.it/9qtWkSSb
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think this one will get much traction. Right now the community, black and white, are in agreement that a marker should be placed with an explanation of the events of the day and afterward. There are some rumblings about a statue dedicated to those who served in the war but the County Commissioners have said it will stay. The usual suspects have made an appearance there a time or two but got a rather cool reception so time will tell.

Here is a FaceBook post about this subject. The facts stated are part of the reason I don't think there will be much flack on it here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Historical Marker for the 1930 Sherman Riot

Texas Historical Marker Update:

There’s a strong likelihood that a major national newspaper will run an article tomorrow about our efforts to get a “Sherman 1930 Race Riot & Lynching” historical marker.  
   A positive outcome came from the Sherman riot, in the character of William Durham, who’s African-American law office was burned down.   Durham didn’t flee. He stayed and worked with a young NAACP attorney named Thurgood Marshall after the riot.
   Marshall would drive up from Dallas to Sherman, that in itself was a dangerous thing to do.  Together, in Sherman, at the Durham home which still stands today - they both drafted Sweatt Vs. Painter, which they won.  The lawsuit forced UT Law School to accept black students.  
   Later, Durham & Marshall wrote Brown Vs. Board of Education, which Marshall presented before the U.S. Supreme Court.  They won that one too.  Ending school segregation in the U.S.A.
    All these good works are the beautiful Phoenix that rose the 1930 Sherman Riot ashes.  The little Durham house in Sherman is small, only 994 sq ft.  But it is a giant symbol in America’s fight for individual freedoms and liberty. The little house is of immense historical significance, and it’s just sitting there, still occupied on Brockett Street.
   Judge Bill Magers and the Commissioners Court again rejected discussion of the approval of the marker at this week’s meeting.  Call them. Write them.  Tell them of the enormity of this misadventure.
Support this Texas Historical Marker by signing the petition: http://chng.it/9qtWkSSb

I knew you had mention that this might be something to watch over the summer and WaPo had just put a magnifying glass it.  Thanks for the positive update.  Good to hear.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Media - "Never let any opportunity or advantage to advance your agenda go unharnessed".

While it is true that that was a terrible example to see the judicial system derailed by a lynching & killing of a person 90 years ago, this resulted in one death.

Will we also see historical markers commemorating the many occasions of multiple deaths of innocent citizens caused by violent Thugs & Gang Members who killed innocent victims in various drive bys, drug gang fights for corners to sell their poisons, or Social Media "Disrespect / Beefs"?   Not to mention just run of the mill street crimes (like George Floyd (Saint that he now has become) holding a gun on a pregnant woman in a violent home invasion for which he spent 5 years (early release revolving door) in the Texas Department of Corrections...))

It's like THAT part of his life never happened & he was just a innocent man who was murdered without reason by four rogue cops...  Never mind the Drugs, the Passing Counterfiet money or the resisting arrest (shouting I CAN'T BREATH for several minutes (Hint if you can Shout it You ARE Breathing & Well) while he climbed THROUGHT the Police SUV and before Derek Chauvin ever put a knee on him...

I mean the whole new "Woke" history is to tell "All Sides" of the truth, even if it is unpleasant (like the huge amount of crime by certain segments of the population)...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if its not this one it will be another one. Their is a new segregation coming, like it or not.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well if its not this one it will be another one. Their is a new segregation coming, like it or not.
View Quote

Which is a shame. The blood, sweat, and tears of their parents and Grandparents were for nothing. They fought so hard for what their children want to undo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
At this point what difference does it make.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Until LA puts up a memorial to Reginald Denny, or Knoxville puts up a memorial to Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom, no fucks to give
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for the update.  I doubt they’ll stop, either.  I still just hope their agenda campaign remains on a local level.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So was he guilty?  Because if a rapist got strung up I'll have to check my bank account of cares for balance - nope, all out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This is still at a low simmer. The county commissioners still will not schedule a hearing on it. This story gives a pretty good explanation of what they are wanting this to be. It may not be radical enough for most of the national groups to mess with.

https://www.kxii.com/2021/08/06/town-hall-held-1930-sherman-riot-historical-marker/
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
John Boessenecker
Texas Ranger: The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, the Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde.

This biography has one of the best written writeups of the riot I have ever seen.   He went to archival libraries to get names.  They were throwing dynamite at the police station a block over.   There were 10000 people a day coming for the show.   They had to deploy the national guard with crew served and fixed bayonet to wind it down.   It's a horrifying read.   The chapter is simply called the Sherman Riot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
John Boessenecker
Texas Ranger: The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, the Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde.

This biography has one of the best written writeups of the riot I have ever seen.   He went to archival libraries to get names.  They were throwing dynamite at the police station a block over.   There were 10000 people a day coming for the show.   They had to deploy the national guard with crew served and fixed bayonet to wind it down.   It's a horrifying read.   The chapter is simply called the Sherman Riot.
View Quote

Just picked it up and is in my Audible queue. I read the other/another Frank Hamer book years ago. Quite the interesting fellow.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Still trying to get it on the county commissioner's agenda. Notice the change in tone from the organizers in this article.
https://www.heralddemocrat.com/story/news/2021/08/11/community-members-voice-support-for-george-hughes-historic-marker/5552219001/
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So was he guilty?  Because if a rapist got strung up I'll have to check my bank account of cares for balance - nope, all out.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
John Boessenecker

View Quote

Slightly off topic, but how did Hamer's portrayal in The Highwaymen (the 2019 Bonnie and Clyde Movie) compare to the likely more accurate depiction in the book?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#19]
This has been on the back burner for a while but Wolf City is starting to simmer again thanks to the Dallas Observer.
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/in-wolfe-city-officer-shaun-lucas-shot-and-killed-jonathan-price-now-lucas-will-go-on-trial-for-murder-12430335
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like the County Commissioners gave in.
https://www.heralddemocrat.com/story/news/2021/10/12/approved-commissioners-allow-placement-historic-marker-recognize-courthouse-burning-1930-riot/8421128002/?

If this really was on the national radar this should take it out of the loop. Since BLM seems to have been neutered since the election, maybe this will end soon.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, Gopher for the updates.  That should at least put this issue to rest.  There will be plenty of other problems to grab the national attention in the not-too-distant future, I’m sure.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
How about we spot light when the Black soldiers in Houston decided to raid the armory and go to town to kill White folks because a girlfriend of their Sargent got arrested?  Oh, they don’t want to talk about that one.

My point there is plenty of blame to go around and I am getting sick of the only White people can be racists lie.

It is time to let sleeping dogs be.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#24]
It's in the news (radio) today ...

NPR Austin

Grayson County finally caved in & is going to erect a historical marker at the courthouse.

City of Sherman is also being pressured to "commemerate" the "event".
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's in the news (radio) today ...

NPR Austin

Grayson County finally caved in & is going to erect a historical marker at the courthouse.

City of Sherman is also being pressured to "commemerate" the "event".
View Quote

The city gave in before the County did. The story is in one of the above links.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top