Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2019 2:07:44 PM EDT
Okay, so maybe I can convince the wife to go to central Alabama.
I want away from Hurricanes, and I will be retiring so work it not an issue.
Is there anyplace to avoid? Any place to look for?
Probably want 15+ acres of land, and would want to (if possible) shoot on my own land.
I would prefer the Northern area, but it seems to be in a tornado alley up there.
Sorry for being so flaky, but I have been searching Texas, Arizona, and Louisianan, looking for a solid Red state to retire where I can just be left alone.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this lot the other day, and thought it's pretty close to heaven.   Perhaps a bit bigger than your looking for though.

https://nationalland.com/shoal-creek-road-timber-hunting-homesite-tract-land-for-sale
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw this lot the other day, and thought it's pretty close to heaven.   Perhaps a bit bigger than your looking for though.

https://nationalland.com/shoal-creek-road-timber-hunting-homesite-tract-land-for-sale
View Quote
Size wise it is not to big, the bigger the better. But price wise it is a bit much.  I am looking at maybe 300K if it has a house, maybe 100K or less if it is just raw land (so I have enough to get the water, electric, septic and house).  I have found quite a few nice ones to look at. Just don't really know the area, yet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Blunt County.
View Quote
Thanks, I will look into that.
Do you mean Blount county?  Land for Sale does not list a Blunt Co.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, Blount County is right in the area that your looking at.

My problem is that I want a fishing pond and a shooting range
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, that’s what he meant.

Avoid Anniston, Gadsden, Bessemer, Birmingham (Hoover, Pelham, Alabaster are ok but not what you’re looking for), Selma, most of Montgomery.

Maybe something in Cullman County would work. You’d be close to Smith Lake.

Cropwell might have something you’re looking for.

Somewhere along 280 between Vincent and Calera? I’m not sure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's hard to go wrong moving to a community outside of Huntsville right now.  Tons of growth in town but just still far enough away to have some peace & quiet.  Somewhere in Limestone, Madison, Jackson county or just across the state line near Fayetteville, TN.

Don't overthink the tornado thing, they are just part of living in the SE.  The storms seem to follow the same tracks for the most part. Refer to the historical tornado maps (http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com) and pick a place to live that isn't in the normal path of the storms. After that make sure you have some kind of rated shelter (above ground, under ground etc).
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies, I will do some more hunting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Avoid Anniston, Gadsden, Bessemer, Birmingham (Hoover, Pelham, Alabaster are ok but not what you’re looking for), Selma, most of Montgomery.

View Quote
You forgot to say that Vestavia is OK but the homes may be more expensive.

And I think that Trussville would be a good spot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, he was wanting a parcel of land, there may not be space around Vestavia. Maybe Argo off of highway 11? Or along 78 from Leeds/Moody through Lincoln and then again around Munford.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I am finding some decent stuff up North and in the Middle area.
Two biggest thing that stop me are.
Two story house.  I am going to be retired and old, I don't want to have to climb stairs to get to my bedroom.
And why does EVERYONE seem to want to strip all the woods off their property.  I don't want to have to be mowing a huge lawn, I want some woods I can hike through and enjoy the wildlife.
But I got some possibilities.
Thanks for the feedback, I think I will try to make a trip out there in May or so.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
North Alabama, look at the Fort Payne area, Grant, and the areas around Scottsboro.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Blunt County.
View Quote
Blount county is what I consider to be the most beautiful county in the Birmingham metro and they have done a great job revitalizing the largest city, Oneonta.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#15]
NE Shelby county, a few miles from Logan Martin Lake (lots of fishing), great house, 22+ Acres, just down the road from me, motivated seller who I think would deal, nobody bothers us out here, adjoining property of this house is a 1000+ acre cattle ranch, 5+ miles to the nearest soda pop machine

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1145-Highway-468-Vincent-AL-35178/2087156338_zpid/?fullpage=true
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Cullman County and Blount County have lots of acreage for sale.  I live in Cullman and the Sheriff is a former Marine and very Pro 2A.  Cullman is pretty peaceful and the cost of living is pretty low.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cullman County and Blount County have lots of acreage for sale.  I live in Cullman and the Sheriff is a former Marine and very Pro 2A.  Cullman is pretty peaceful and the cost of living is pretty low.
View Quote
Yeah, thanks. I have been mostly looking at Cullman and Blount area. There are some nice properties.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Look a little further south central if you want seclusion. Coosa county, land cheap, very low taxes, poor school system keeps most out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look a little further south central if you want seclusion. Coosa county, land cheap, very low taxes, poor school system keeps most out.
View Quote
And by poor school system, he means only one public school in the whole county.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No kids, no care. Just don't want to get too far South, don't want to have to mess with Hurricanes.  Tropical Storms are bad enough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That far north of the coast, a full on hit, you get some rain, lots of wind and maybe a tree or two knocked over.

Anything north of the sate line you will be fine for that issue. Maybe a few days without power. So except for the coastal counties the state is yours to choose from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No kids, no care. Just don't want to get too far South, don't want to have to mess with Hurricanes.  Tropical Storms are bad enough.
That far north of the coast, a full on hit, you get some rain, lots of wind and maybe a tree or two knocked over.

Anything north of the sate line you will be fine for that issue. Maybe a few days without power. So except for the coastal counties the state is yours to choose from.
I dunno, they got damn deep down here.  I will stay in the Northern half.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Katrina was the last Hurricane I can remember that effected me both in Auburn while at school, and south of Birmingham.  It certainly let lots of small trees and limbs all over the place in both locales.

Then again, Katrina was a once in a lifetime type storm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Lots of neat places in the State if you're not worried about commuting for a job. I too like Blount, Cullman, and St Clair County. Northeast Alabama around the Tennessee river is beautiful country also.

Rural land is still affordable. I just sold a 40 acre parcel in Bibb County with Trailer for 110K. It was less than 15 minutes from a State University

Birmingham has world class health care if that is a future concern.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Two story house.  I am going to be retired and old, I don't want to have to climb stairs to get to my bedroom.
View Quote
I always hear people as they start to get older say that they want a single level home so they don't have to climb stairs. However, when you are older and quit climbing stairs, you lose the ability to climb stairs within a few years. You want to stay strong as you get older, that means doing physical work. One of the best ways you can tell your body that you need to retain those leg muscles is by climbing stairs. It will translate into overall better health and fitness as you age.

This post probably belongs in GD  
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I always hear people as they start to get older say that they want a single level home so they don't have to climb stairs. However, when you are older and quit climbing stairs, you lose the ability to climb stairs within a few years. You want to stay strong as you get older, that means doing physical work. One of the best ways you can tell your body that you need to retain those leg muscles is by climbing stairs. It will translate into overall better health and fitness as you age.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, staying fit is important.  But you can do that by WALKING (hiking) is the best you can do. If you fall, you don't typically die.
It is not about fitness, it is about fatality.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lots of neat places in the State if you're not worried about commuting for a job. I too like Blount, Cullman, and St Clair County. Northeast Alabama around the Tennessee river is beautiful country also.

Rural land is still affordable. I just sold a 40 acre parcel in Bibb County with Trailer for 110K. It was less than 15 minutes from a State University

Birmingham has world class health care if that is a future concern.
View Quote
No, work, well no paid work, I will be retiring.
Healthcare is a concern for my wife. For me, I figure I will work and drop dead of a massive coronary.  Just gotta get someone to delete my browser history.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The OP said no tornados.  Shoal creek valley, particularly the developed area on the north side of that aerial shot, had an f5 rake it out a few years ago. A long time friend's house was gone. A fellow at the scene said: "There is your friend's house."  I saw a bit of roof jutting out of the lake, two hundred yards away in the lake. Eleven folks were killed. The valley, looked like it had been bush hogged.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No kids and retired?  You might consider Clay county. No more hurricane threat than N Bama. Cheap land. Also some parcels bumped against National Forest in the largest mountain range in Alabama.

My brother had a 40 farm there bordered by NF for about 15 years before he up and moved to Wyoming.  He was a hunter, so he had his place to kill deer, run rabbits and the Talladega NF at his back door. His  place, at purchase, had a small house, a huge barn and a pond on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#30]
maybe up 72 between Huntsville and Tn.... close enough to enjoy Chattanooga, Huntsville and the TN river. Atlanta easy access as well. Take 59 and be in Bham pretty quickly as well. Heck I might even talk myself into a move ;)
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
maybe up 72 between Huntsville and Tn.... close enough to enjoy Chattanooga, Huntsville and the TN river. Atlanta easy access as well. Take 59 and be in Bham pretty quickly as well. Heck I might even talk myself into a move ;)
View Quote
I wonder about the Huntsville area.  Next door neightbor lived there for a few years, maybe 15 years ago. He said biggest problem (besides tornadoes) was drugs
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Huntsville has had more shootings as of the past couple of years, most of it has been drug related though.  There are property crimes as well, B&E to auto mainly.  Robbery and burglaries are not as common but do occur.  Since Huntsville is growing in population it is to be expected that crime is going to increase.  If you are looking for some secluded property this far north then there are good areas that still have potential in the county and of course there is Jackson County as well.  Another thought is Southern Middle Tennessee, I would look there but I have to live in Alabama as a requirement for my job.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Huntsville has had more shootings as of the past couple of years, most of it has been drug related though.  There are property crimes as well, B&E to auto mainly.  Robbery and burglaries are not as common but do occur.  Since Huntsville is growing in population it is to be expected that crime is going to increase.  If you are looking for some secluded property this far north then there are good areas that still have potential in the county and of course there is Jackson County as well.  Another thought is Southern Middle Tennessee, I would look there but I have to live in Alabama as a requirement for my job.
View Quote
Dekalb County would also be a contender if looking for land and mountains. You’d be close to the best crappie fishery in the nation at Weiss and Guntersville for bass fishing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tenseness is nice, but getting a bit too far North, not looking for winters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Not bad, but maybe just a tad high for what I am shooting for.  You can find 50 acres with power avail for under 100k.  If it has power, getting a well does not seem to be a problem in the mid to Northern area of Alabama--most of the property I see has a creek running through it.   I figure if I can get some land for 100k or less, that will give me another 100 to 200k to get well, septic, and home done.  I don't need much 1k square feet for a house is enough.
I am looking at these:
78 acres
50 acres with a home
40 acres, just 25 minutes from Birmingham
I am collecting more, and hope to visit the area in a month or so, depending on how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Got 8 pieces of property lined up that I hope to be able to go check out next week. Half are in Randolph county, with two in Coosa county, one in Cleburne county, and one in Talladega Co.  None on any of the counties you guys said were to avoid  These properties were just what fit what I wanted on first pass.
Not as far North as I first thought I might be going, all more central.
Going to check there first (only a 6 or 7 hour drive from here, so easier to go visit), then in the Northern counties if I don't find anything.  
Pretty much decided that I want something with a year around stream running through it.  I want to try to do some microhydro power generation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#39]
What part of Talladega County are you looking at, if I may ask?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is just South of Talldega. The ads says Sylacauga.
Not really sure about this one, as it says it has a pipeline easement through it, but it also has a very nice creek which I like. It is very close to Sylacauga though, very close.
ETA: I have just been reading about pipeline easements. Most not good.
Here is the property:63 acres
I found one more place in Coosa Co to look at.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not really sure about this one, as it says it has a pipeline easement through it, but it also has a very nice creek which I like. It is very close to Sylacauga though, very close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure that I would want to hunt over a pipeline.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that I would want to hunt over a pipeline.
View Quote
Yeah.
Won't really be hunting all that much, this is for retirement. You don't think it would make a good backstop for a range?
Actually, I just talked to the real estate agent, and he said it was a buried pipeline. When I told him I like shooting, his response was, "Well, that pipeline will give you some nice straight cleared area to shoot down."
So nice to have agents who don't freak out when you mention shooting.
If the pipeline was along the back of the property, it wouldn't bother me, but is cuts right across the access to the property, and I have read that those pipeline easements often give them a blanket easement.  Which means that if they need to work on the pipeline or repair the pipeline, they can basically do what ever the hell they want with your property. Then when they are done, the easement goes back to the 100' or so needed for right of way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#43]
In Talladega County, a lot of land that’s not incorporated or within city limits is called Alpine. I did a quick search and there’s land for sale ranging from a few acres up to 50 acres.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In Talladega County, a lot of land that’s not incorporated or within city limits is called Alpine. I did a quick search and there’s land for sale ranging from a few acres up to 50 acres.
View Quote
There's a reason for that. Everybody is trying to move. The area has gone to crap in the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There's a reason for that. Everybody is trying to move. The area has gone to crap in the past 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, probably not Talladega County then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, like I said a lot of possible problems with that piece of property.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
To go into some specifics, a friend of mine and his step dad were murdered in that area 4 years back. The case remains unsolved.  Alpine already had its share of methbillies, now it's a casualty of the Opiate crisis with some dealers moving into the area to support the customer base.

If you drive through Talladega itself, you'll see a ton of For Sale signs on houses. They aren't selling because no one wants to move into the area because of the crime and the shitty school system.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Stay out of TN, especially SW Lincoln county, sucks up here.  We live cheek-by-jowle, no privacy, can't shoot, can't do shit up here.

I can't even take a leak off my front porch/deck without almost hitting my closest neighboer's house:

In the first pic, you can clearly see my nieghbor's POS house right next door to me.  It should be obvious:  Find somewhere else.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
To go into some specifics, a friend of mine and his step dad were murdered in that area 4 years back. The case remains unsolved.  Alpine already had its share of methbillies, now it's a casualty of the Opiate crisis with some dealers moving into the area to support the customer base.

If you drive through Talladega itself, you'll see a ton of For Sale signs on houses. They aren't selling because no one wants to move into the area because of the crime and the shitty school system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

School system, don't care.  High methbillies, no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stay out of TN, especially SW Lincoln county, sucks up here.  We live cheek-by-jowle, no privacy, can't shoot, can't do shit up here.

I can't even take a leak off my front porch/deck without almost hitting my closest neighboer's house:

https://i.imgur.com/T9BBuSm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hxGP3xh.jpg

In the first pic, you can clearly see my nieghbor's POS house right next door to me.  It should be obvious:  Find somewhere else.  
View Quote
No worries.  Tenn is great, a lot of friends have moved there.  But too cold for me and the wife (mostly the wife).  Snow looks great on TV, and that's where it should stay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top