Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2020 7:44:42 AM EDT
Long story short, my gf's family owns some land with 3 abandoned vehicles.  They've tried to contact the owner multiple times and havent herd back after years.  2 could be sold easily and the gf's dad would like to keep the 3rd.  

Has anyone ever done this?  It seems (from google) that it can be a pain or very easy.  Anyone have any tips?  Would hiring an attorney be the best way?

And because I know you're curious...  Fox body Mustang (5.0, auto) and Jeep.Grand Cherokee would be sold.  C2 Corvette would be kept.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Wis. Stat.

I'd say 1st step would be notify Police or Sheriff Dept. Checking to insure they're not stolen would be their concern.  From what I can glean from the wordy statute, it looks like the authorities would do the legwork to contact the owner and end up putting it up for auction if the owner was non-responsive.  I'd imagine re-titling the 'vette would be a fun time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
From the WI DOT.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/property-abandon.aspx

Give a 21 day notice to the owner, after that fill out an abandoned vehicle form along with the title application and wait.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't that look like it pertains to tenant/landlord issues?  If the vehicles owner isn't a tenant, not sure this would apply.  But do realize, in reality, I haven't a clue - just parroting what I found in statutes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob940:
From the WI DOT.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/property-abandon.aspx

Give a 21 day notice to the owner, after that fill out an abandoned vehicle form along with the title application and wait.
View Quote

I hope its that easy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kapusta:
Doesn't that look like it pertains to tenant/landlord issues?  If the vehicles owner isn't a tenant, not sure this would apply.  But do realize, in reality, I haven't a clue - just parroting what I found in statutes.
View Quote

No, its not a lanlord/tenant thing.  Also the cars are hidden from the road so I dont think they qualify as an eyesore.  

I guess we'll just send registered letters to the last known address along with a 21 day timeframe.  If no response, fill out the forms with the DMV.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I went through this process about twenty years ago for a camper trailer that was left on property a friend had bought. Back then I was told by the DMV to give them 30 days. In my case there was apparently no owner or heirs interested. When the certified letter bounced back and I had waited the time, the DMV issued me a new title.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I did it 5-8 years ago for a Harley sportster
document how you acquired the vehicle, get a LEO to sign a form indicating the vin is what you say it is, surety bond (like an insurance policy incase the legal owner shows up), more paperwork with the dmv, then you're done

is the fox body a convertible? Rusted?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top