Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2023 5:59:20 PM EDT
Many of us are aware of how abysmally slow DPS has been with CWP renewals in recent years. My wife did her renewal on paper last year and it took about 6 months to come through - they were not very responsive by email so she had to phone them to get it moving.

I just submitted my renewal using the new online application system. The form is not too clunky as government websites go; there is no "N/A" dropdown option for birth state, and the document image upload functionality is a bit fucky, but I got it to work in the end. Payment by credit card is now accepted (no more cashiers check nonsense). I received an immediate confirmation of acceptance of my application by text message. I will post any updates here as they happen, including the date I receive my new permit and any bumps in the road I encounter. My permit expires February 27th... wish me luck.

If anyone else wants to post updates on their own applications or renewals, please feel free to do so in this thread. Include your application type (paper or online), any updates or problems, and the date you receive your permit. I am hoping this data will be informative and helpful in the same way as the NFA timeline threads have proved to be.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
First update: The confirmation email from permitium.com got flagged by Microsoft as junk mail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Make a copy of your verification and keep it with you once your CCW expires.
I think if you’re in the process of renewal your permit is still valid since you’re just waiting on the new one to come in.
But you probably already knew that…
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My permit expires mid May of '24. I have the renewal page open in another tab where it will probably remain for the next several months. Tag to see if the online process is any quicker.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the online system to renew mine.  Submitted Nov 11th, approved Nov 30th.  Received a few days ago (i don't check the mail that often)
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:35:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SturmMonkey] [#6]
I submitted my renewal on 11/18/23 and this is where it has been since then:

I remember when the CCW division was fast and efficient.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm at "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order" from mailing mid-October
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Submitted my renewal thru the online portal today, 12/18/23.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Renewal took 90+days. Mid oct to mid dec.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent in my renewal application via snail mail on May 20, 2023. I got my new card in the mail 12 days later. I couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Just received an automated phone call and an email stating that my renewal has been approved.  Submitted 11/18/23 approved on 1/9/24 not terrible,but not what it used to be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#12]
UPDATE: With over 60 days (statutory maximum) having elapsed since I submitted my online renewal, Permitium was still showing my application at the "“assigning to processor shortly..." stage.

Yesterday I emailed and called the DPS CCW unit to chase my renewal through the system. I had to sit on hold for 30 minutes as there were 15 other people ahead of me in the queue. When I got to a human, she was very efficient - I just gave her my SSN and name, and she said she would immediately send my application on for review. This mirrors my wife's experience last year - the process moves at a glacial pace unless you call and check status, then it miraculously gets approved.

This morning I got a text and email from Permitium confirming that my permit has been approved and will be mailed to me.

No reply yet from my original inquiry email, but they may not reply now as it is moot.

I will update here when my permit actually arrives.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
My CWP arrived OK this week
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Submitted my online renewal on 12/18 and nothing happened. Finally I called for an update 70 days later and it was approved as soon as I hung up the phone. It showed up in my mail box 8 days after it was approved.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My friend's experience mirrors everyone else's. He actually dropped the packet off at DPS. Had to call, and was received quickly after.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine was sitting there since October, finally called in March and it was approved the next day. Seems like they're just sitting on them and doing nothing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:19:42 AM EDT
[#17]
13 weeks

Submitted via the online application.

Incorrect info from their email:
The concealed weapons permit must be in your possession at all times when you are in actual possession of a concealed weapon and are required by any other law to carry the permit.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top