Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2019 3:45:01 AM EDT
So I was looking for a AR15 featureless pistol grip with a thumb rest and came across these AR thumb grips from a company called AK thumb grips(they also make them for AK47). I've tried a couple other companies with a thumb rest( mega fin & Exile) ,but they didn't stick out far enough to be able to grip the thumb rest. This one allows you to put upward pressure on the thumb grip and that really assists in controlling the rifle with one hand for mag changes. Its just a little piece(steel w/ rubber coating) that goes in between the receiver and pistol grip to make a thumb platform. California featureless rifles suck ,but this helps make it more tolerable at least until I can move out of the state.

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That would drive me nutz!

It also looks to be a snag hazard.  Snagging never happens until you cannot tolerate a snag.  Then, they happen.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
A thumb rest implies that the thumb is to be on top of it. You later state that upward pressure helps to grip the rifle. This implies that the thumb is below it. Am I construing this wrong?

Also, does it interfere with the operation of the ambi safety selector?...
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A thumb rest implies that the thumb is to be on top of it. You later state that upward pressure helps to grip the rifle. This implies that the thumb is below it. Am I construing this wrong?

View Quote
I read it to mean that you push up with the side of your index finger, with the thumb on top pushing down, pinching the rest in between.  If I had a fin, I might try it, but I FO'd for a Thordsen and I got that sweet, sweet "wrap around as long as the web of your had is above the top of the exposed part of the trigger" action

$20 seems reasonable.  The site didn't have a picture of how it attached to an AR (just AK), but I did find this beauty.

I think I know who his president is!  
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That would drive me nutz!

It also looks to be a snag hazard.  Snagging never happens until you cannot tolerate a snag.  Then, they happen.
View Quote
I see what you're saying but would still like to try one.

Seems to poke out a bit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
My thumbs not that thick, it could stick out less.   The safety looks like it's set 180% off the usual direction. So pull up to fire?
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes you can grip the rest between your thumb and index finger creating a pretty good hold on the rifle. So basically you can put upward pressure with your index finger/ knuckle to help stabilize the rifle during a mag change or when moving around with the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I contacted them and asked the same thing, they said it would interfere with most. They recommended using a sparrow dynamics ambi safety as it has a 60/90 throw and you can put the levers in 6 different positions. According to them the sparrow lever goes straight across in fire position and is completely out of the way( and 45 degrees down when in safe). I'm going to buy a sparrow to try it out ,but the thumb grip rep said they were going to be making a safety of there own in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My thumbs not that thick, it could stick out less.   The safety looks like it's set 180% off the usual direction. So pull up to fire?
View Quote
That's my understanding of what the rep told me flick it up( straight across like the pic on the website) for fire and down to a 45 degree angle for safe all with your thumb. It does look a little funny that way ,buy I guess it makes sense for function.

The thumb rest could stick out less ,but then it wouldn't stick out far enough to grip it between the thumb and index finger which I like about it. It only sticks out a little further than the forward assist and I haven't snagged it on anything yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay thanks I'll check out that Ncstar as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand using a grip fin on an AR.  The receiver design permits featuresless grips that lack fins (unlike, say a FAL).  While not as good as a standard grip, to be sure, they are superior to finned grips by leaps and bounds, as they allow the thumb to wrap around the grip, which makes manipulation and control, including one-handed holding, much easier, and also more comfortable.

You might want to look into some of these grips, like the ones from Resurgent Arms or Sparrow Dynamics.  I think there are a couple of others along these lines, although those looked and felt the best to me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't understand using a grip fin on an AR.  The receiver design permits featuresless grips that lack fins (unlike, say a FAL).  While not as good as a standard grip, to be sure, they are superior to finned grips by leaps and bounds, as they allow the thumb to wrap around the grip, which makes manipulation and control, including one-handed holding, much easier, and also more comfortable.

You might want to look into some of these grips, like the ones from Resurgent Arms or Sparrow Dynamics.  I think there are a couple of others along these lines, although those looked and felt the best to me.
View Quote
The Resurgent Arms grip looks like the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently bought a Sparrow Dynamics grip for my build and I think I like it even more than the Resurgent Arms grip.  Also looks better, I think.  It was on sale at Turner's the other day for a substantial discount over MSRP and even a discount over the coupon-price for Calgunners.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recently bought a Sparrow Dynamics grip for my build and I think I like it even more than the Resurgent Arms grip.  Also looks better, I think.  It was on sale at Turner's the other day for a substantial discount over MSRP and even a discount over the coupon-price for Calgunners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Sparrow Dynamics grip doesn’t look as comfortable. Im surprised you like it better. Does it feel better? What is it that you like better?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Sparrow Dynamics grip doesn’t look as comfortable. Im surprised you like it better. Does it feel better? What is it that you like better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both the feel and the look.  Next time I can hold my dad's rifle I'll try to see how they feel side-by-side comparatively (I used a Resurgent Arms grip to build his; the SD grip wasn't out, yet), but my recollection of the RA grip is such where I don't think the feel was quite as good.  Both are plenty serviceable, however.  My dad thought they felt about the same, but he liked the aesthetics of the RA grip better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top