Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2020 3:15:02 AM EDT
Here I am buying an AR Pistol and now I feel like a because the ranges in/around Portland (indoor and outdoor) aren’t comfortable with something that loud (it’s a 12.5 barrel with a blast deflector) on their pistol ranges. What about the rifle range you might ask? With the other larger caliber firearms? Because it’s a pistol and a pistol is a handgun, and handguns aren’t welcome at the rifle lanes.

Anyone know where I can take this thing to get some range time with it?
Threat dynamics was a flat no
English pit was ok with it on the pistol lanes but only if no one else was there, if others showed up I had to stow the AR
Online research indicates basically all indoor ranges are not chill with it (makes sense, it fires 5.56) but the outdoor ranges open to public are not friendly in their FAQs to unsuppressed SBRs/AR-AK pistols
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Find some nice blm land nearby. Mountains are beautiful. Make a day out of it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
First off get away from Portland. Head South to the best range in the state. https://www.arpc.info/
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
BLM land.
TCGC
COSSA

I used to go to Salmonberry Rd.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
TCGC is actually really close to me. But they aren't accepting new memberships until next year or further out with Covid. It's my impression they aren't open for non-membership use, or at the very least non NRA member customers. I'm neither of these, brand new.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TCGC is actually really close to me. But they aren't accepting new memberships until next year or further out with Covid. It's my impression they aren't open for non-membership use, or at the very least non NRA member customers. I'm neither of these, brand new.
View Quote
@Justifried
Salmonberry Rd. Gravel pits. Enjoy.

ETA: Put Salmonberry shooting pit, Timber Or into google maps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Be careful during the summer on public land do to fire danger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Douglas Ridge but you need to be a member
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Richs in Donald.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

We can currently bring guests to the range.

You are correct, they are delaying new members from joining.

You must be an NRA member when you join up and pay your dues for the first time. Take that as you will.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used my AR pistol on the 50 and 100 centerfire rifle lanes at the English Pit.

Do you have a brace?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Justifried

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Justifried

I like Wolf Creek better than Salmonberry Road, as it's an actual range and not just a gravel pit. I'm also a bit sketched out by Salmonberry Road based on the direction some people shoot, and some of the obviously unsafe areas people have stopped to shoot at. They've blocked a few areas off with boulders now, but it's still a bit chaotic out there.

As for TCGC, you can definitely shoot AR pistols on the 50/100 yard rifle range. I believe the rules technically say that pistols have to have a 5.5" or longer barrel, but my 4.5" suppressed .22LR AR looks more like a 9-10" barrel and I haven't had any trouble with the ROs. The one that did stop to look at it could see it grouped well at 50 yards, and wasn't worried at all.

I'm not opposed to bringing guests to TCGC, so send me an IM if you ever need to sight something in, or want to check out some suppressors in person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top