Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2021 11:20:45 PM EDT
https://www.wdrb.com/news/cameron-says-cities-can-only-enforce-concealed-carry-ban-in-buildings-with-ordinance/article_f5750d42-2ac3-11ec-9c58-87e35fc3571a.html

Cameron says cities can only enforce concealed carry ban in buildings with ordinance

A well-written opinion

No re-do the one where the 1994 AG misinterpreted the KY Constitution and caselaw and allowed the prohibition of firearms on public college campuses
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I was expecting the opinion to ignore open carry or try to minimize it but he directly addressed in detail with respect to what I city could or couldn't do.  Still I'm sure there will be some city that tries to ban concealed carry by ordinance thinking it will ban all forms of carry.  

I know it is out of scope for this specific opinion but it would have been nice if he had included "there is no statute which allows for limits open carry anywhere by any entity in the state, as the state Constitution does not grant that power to the General Assembly".  As far as I know that is still untested in the courts.  My local police department acknowledge that open carry inside that PD building that is open to the public is allowed.  That came out when the mad mom's tried to hold their meeting in the community room there.  They had thought all guns would be banned in the entire building.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was expecting the opinion to ignore open carry or try to minimize it but he directly addressed in detail with respect to what I city could or couldn't do.  Still I'm sure there will be some city that tries to ban concealed carry by ordinance thinking it will ban all forms of carry.  

I know it is out of scope for this specific opinion but it would have been nice if he had included "there is no statute which allows for limits open carry anywhere by any entity in the state, as the state Constitution does not grant that power to the General Assembly".  As far as I know that is still untested in the courts.  My local police department acknowledge that open carry inside that PD building that is open to the public is allowed.  That came out when the mad mom's tried to hold their meeting in the community room there.  They had thought all guns would be banned in the entire building.
View Quote

They usually won't answer questions that have not been asked. In fact, it is difficult to get answers to many questions even when they are asked. I have posted here about questions that have remained unanswered for several years, even the question that you mentioned. That question has been asked with no opinion forthcoming.

I wish they had seen this as an opportunity to fully explain KRS 237.115. They only opined about one small aspect of that statute and that aspect only affects a small group of people, municipal employees. KC3 has been faced with several city governments that have instituted employee gun bans and we have been unable to sue over these violations because no city employee has been willing to add their name to a lawsuit and without them we have no "standing" for a lawsuit.

I'd like to read an AG's opinion on the authority of local governmental entities other than city or county governments (such as "special districts") to ban guns. They often have a total ban on everyone, including employees, from firearm possession. How does KRS 237.115 apply to those governmental entities? There are 1000's of them and they employ 10's of 1000's of people.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They usually won't answer questions that have not been asked. In fact, it is difficult to get answers to many questions even when they are asked. I have posted here about questions that have remained unanswered for several years, even the question that you mentioned. That question has been asked with no opinion forthcoming.

I wish they had seen this as an opportunity to fully explain KRS 237.115. They only opined about one small aspect of that statute and that aspect only affects a small group of people, municipal employees. KC3 has been faced with several city governments that have instituted employee gun bans and we have been unable to sue over these violations because no city employee has been willing to add their name to a lawsuit and without them we have no "standing" for a lawsuit.

I'd like to read an AG's opinion on the authority of local governmental entities other than city or county governments (such as "special districts") to ban guns. They often have a total ban on everyone, including employees, from firearm possession. How does KRS 237.115 apply to those governmental entities? There are 1000's of them and they employ 10's of 1000's of people.
View Quote

I'll give the AG some time to tackle those issues, his team was before SCOTUS today defending the unborn
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I sure hope he's McConnells replacement when the time comes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I sure hope he's McConnells replacement when the time comes.
View Quote

He's been groomed by McConnell since he was in high school.  That is why he ended up on Trump's list of possible US Supreme Court nominees.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top