Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2021 7:45:33 PM EDT
What I am about to write is in no way intended to signal that we can back off the throttle one iota.  I am going to write what I am about to write in the hopes that it will keep you inspired to act.

Today, we moved the needle a little bit in our direction.  Yep.  Read on.

Today the Senate Law & Justice Committee met in executive session to vote on a number of bills, two of which are of primary concern to law-abiding gun owners.  Senate Bill 5078 banning "large capacity" magazines and Senate Bill 5038 prohibiting the open carry of firearms at "demonstrations".

Both did pass out of the L&J Committee into the Rules Committee.  So, how does that equal a move in our direction?  Senate Bill 5078 was modified and is now Substitute Senate Bill 5078 (SSB 5078).  That substitution changed the language of the bill from a limit of ten rounds per magazine to a limit of seventeen (17) rounds.  SSB 5078 is now out of parity with its companion bill in the House chamber (HB 1164), which still reads ten rounds.  Now, HB 1164 has not had its executive session with the House Civil Rights & Judiciary Committee and is not currently scheduled for an executive session as I write this (technically, they have until 15 February to get any bills read into the Rules Committee {with the exception of some fiscal related bills which have a longer deadline.  You might recall that they tried that last year with either the AWB or hi-cap mag ban}).

THIS IS WHERE YOU ALL COME IN:  KEEP THAT PRESSURE UP ON YOUR ELECTED REPS IN BOTH THE SENATE AND HOUSE!!!

Keeping the two chamber's bills out of parity is one way the elected reps don't have to commit to voting for a bill that could get them unseated next election.  If an unpopular bill never gets to the floor for a vote, then said politician is not on record one way or the other (the roll call is the name for the official voting record on a particular bill).

KEEP THOSE EMAILS ROLLING!!!  DO NOT LET UP!!!  WE HAVE A CHANCE (like last session) TO SQUASH THIS ONE!!!  

Before I forget:  Original SB 5078 and Substitute Bill 5078

I'm a little tired, so I will read them "word-for-word" later.  If you see something:  say something

On to SB 5038:

Some changes in committee reducing the distance one must stay away from a "demonstration" was reduced from 1,000 feet to 250 feet.  There was one more change that escapes my memory at this moment.  The revised bill has not been posted to the SB 5038 Bill Information Page at leg.wa.gov

I am unable to locate a House companion bill to 5038, which is odd.  Perhaps SB 5038 is a "nothingburger" or perhaps a companion bill will get introduced on the House side between now and 15 Feb.  Definitely still need to keep an eye on this one.  There was some good opposition raised during the executive discussion for this bill by the senators who opposed passage to the Rules Committee.  The roll call has not been posted yet.

We may not be doing the steam-rolling, but we ain't gettin' steam-rolled, either!!!  Our voice is loud and we are being heard!  YOU are making a difference!  DO NOT REST!!!  We are not out of the woods yet, but if we stay engaged and active, we can keep that needle pushed in our direction!

NO ACTION IS TOO SMALL!!! Every "click", every comment, every share, every new recruit counts!!!

THANK YOU!!!

(edit:  spelling)
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
This is good news in the sense that we're beaing heard, and that the antis have an uphill battle as well.

Washington legislative action group on FB picked up 300+ members over the last week. Hopefully thats not infiltrators, but if you guys have FB and you're not a member JUMP IN THERE NOW
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is good news in the sense that we're beaing heard, and that the antis have an uphill battle as well.

Washington legislative action group on FB picked up 300+ members over the last week. Hopefully thats not infiltrators, but if you guys have FB and you're not a member JUMP IN THERE NOW ABSOLUTELY!!!
View Quote

Always a valid concern, however admins do vet (review) folks who request to join before adding someone to the group.

Link to 2021 WA Legislative Action Group FB Page  You will need to request to join.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Well 17 still sucks, might as well be 10.

Mine holds 19.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, that covers all the 17 round AR and AK mags, then.

I know what you're saying, but it is still mega bullshit.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Rob
View Quote

While the bullshit is still mega, this is a huge step in the right direction as it provides tremendous relief from a CPL standpoint, which was one of my biggest concerns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While the bullshit is still mega, this is a huge step in the right direction as it provides tremendous relief from a CPL standpoint, which was one of my biggest concerns.
View Quote

Agree.  I'll still fight this BS, but a 10 round limit would've been devastating to concealed carry
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The win is not the number of rounds but is that the bill was changed and unless the House companion bill is changed to match it dies and they are running out of time to do that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The win is not the number of rounds but is that the bill was changed and unless the House companion bill is changed to match it dies and they are running out of time to do that.
View Quote

Last year the house went from 10 to 15.  It was the senate that didn't play ball.  I think its possible the house goes to 17, this year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Last year the house went from 10 to 15.  It was the senate that didn't play ball.  I think its possible the house goes to 17, this year.
View Quote

Always a possibility but if we KEEP THE PRESSURE UP and KEEP OUR VOICE LOUD then the two bills might stay out of parity and not move forward.

KEEP THAT PRESSURE UP EVERYONE!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

Do not give 1". Ever. It is all infringement and one change, leads to another, one-inch-at-a-time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top