Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2022 9:29:21 PM EDT
I was born in Cheyenne in 1960, lived there until Father finished his indentured servitude to the state (Wyoming paid for an advanced engineering degree in exchange for pulling an oar there for four years).

Since then I’ve lived from California to Africa, but mostly in Virginia.

I am approaching retirement, and being shed of my spouse (estranged but still married, something likely to change soon) and child I am contemplating returning to the only place I’ve ever called “home.”

But I am crippled, with a wrecked spine, rebuilt shoulders, bad knees and wrists, and a serious neuropathy from my coma in 2018.

I wonder if I can survive a Wyoming winter.

I’m thinking of renting a room or a small place to try out my winter tolerance.  If you were going to do this:

What month is worst?
Where could I stand a chance of finding a place for a month or two?

Any assistance or insight is welcomed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was born in Cheyenne in 1960, lived there until Father finished his indentured servitude to the state (Wyoming paid for an advanced engineering degree in exchange for pulling an oar there for four years).

Since then I’ve lived from California to Africa, but mostly in Virginia.

I am approaching retirement, and being shed of my spouse (estranged but still married, something likely to change soon) and child I am contemplating returning to the only place I’ve ever called “home.”

But I am crippled, with a wrecked spine, rebuilt shoulders, bad knees and wrists, and a serious neuropathy from my coma in 2018.

I wonder if I can survive a Wyoming winter.

I’m thinking of renting a room or a small place to try out my winter tolerance.  If you were going to do this:

What month is worst?
Where could I stand a chance of finding a place for a month or two?

Any assistance or insight is welcomed.
View Quote

@broadrunarms

No offense intended sir, but I wouldn't, you've earned Florida, AZ, southern CA, Hawaii...
You've put your time in, you should have a comfortable, easy, carefree place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I tend to agree.  The icy sidewalks and parking lots and freezing winds are something you are better off

avoiding.  We spent some time in AZ last winter, way more pleasant.  And pretty free, just a few more zillion

people.  But if you live alone, maybe that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@broadrunarms

No offense intended sir, but I wouldn't, you've earned Florida, AZ, southern CA, Hawaii...
You've put your time in, you should have a comfortable, easy, carefree place.
View Quote

My spouse is from Florida, so I’ve spent a lot of time there. The only attraction is the fishing and invasive species harvesting (e.g., iguanas, pythons). Other than that Florida holds little in the way of attractions.

California is a no go, unless there is a fundamental shift in the thinking of 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population.

Hawai’i - I work for a Hawaiian firm, so been to the islands several times. I I sailed or surfed, maybe, but I no longer do either.

Arizona is a possibility, part time, with Wyoming being the other half of the year.  But Arizona full time? Not loving the idea.

So I again ask, if I wanted to try the worst weather month, in say the Medicine Bow, Snowy, or Wind River ranges. when do I come out?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My spouse is from Florida, so I’ve spent a lot of time there. The only attraction is the fishing and invasive species harvesting (e.g., iguanas, pythons). Other than that Florida holds little in the way of attractions.

California is a no go, unless there is a fundamental shift in the thinking of 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population.

Hawai’i - I work for a Hawaiian firm, so been to the islands several times. I I sailed or surfed, maybe, but I no longer do either.

Arizona is a possibility, part time, with Wyoming being the other half of the year.  But Arizona full time? Not loving the idea.

So I again ask, if I wanted to try the worst weather month, in say the Medicine Bow, Snowy, or Wind River ranges. when do I come out?
View Quote

@broadrunarms

You'll be fine because you'll have to figure it out.

This year has been incredibly pleasant, last year had more snow and a blizzard. Next year will probably be horrendous.

It's nice out here and I enjoy the unpredictability, but the wind does blow. A handful of days with 40 - 75mph winds, but damn does that really suck.
Almost an entire month of 30mph+ winds this year also sucked, but no snow and air quality is excellent.

We have the best and worst days like everywhere else. Today was 52 degrees, yesterday was high 40's, Tuesday will be 14 degrees and snowing hopefully.

It's different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top