Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2022 8:03:21 PM EDT
I read it only applies to violent crimes, but the rules seem to be a bit fuzzy on that. A cousin just got busted with a bunch of drugs/cash and this is the 3rd time. I have no idea the amounts of drugs in his prior arrests or his time served for those crimes. As far as I know there were no firearms involved in any of the arrests, but if there were would that count as a violent crime?

Also, does Texas regard possession with intent to distribute as intent to harm others? That would fall under the 3 strikes rule if so.

I appreciate any help. My Uncle reached out today in a panic and my family there is very poor. I have read quite a bit online but can't figure out exactly the rules.

Mods if this is not okay I apologize and please delete. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The answers that you seek are found in Chapter 12 of the Penal Code.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.12.htm#12.42
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If it’s his third time he needs prison time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree ??, once, ok he screwed up , now it’s time to grow up, learn your lesson , and get your act together.  2nd time, no excuses, 3rd time, hes outta there, and didn’t get enough the first time.    

Contact an attorney for legal advice…
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Apparently the last time he was arrested was for stealing food from a walmart shortly after he got out from the first arrest because he couldn't get a job. I guess he went back because he didnt want to starve again. Appreciate the help fellas.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apparently the last time he was arrested was for stealing food from a walmart shortly after he got out from the first arrest because he couldn't get a job. I guess he went back because he didnt want to starve again
View Quote

Nobody in America starves for lack of a job.

It really sounds like you're (1.) making excuses for him, and (2.) enabling his criminal behavior.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nobody in America starves for lack of a job.

It really sounds like you're (1.) making excuses for him, and (2.) enabling his criminal behavior.
View Quote
It's easy to be judgemental from afar. While I do agree that the cousin hasn't learned much, I think the OP is just trying to find some information for his family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top