Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2018 11:13:44 AM EDT
A little birdie told me a story about a guy who drove through one of Westchester towns. Got pulled over for tinted windows. The cop looked up that he has a PP. Asked about his pistol. The guy said it was in a glove box. Opened the glove box. Next to the pistol he had two 30-rd mags for a Mini-14. The cop subsequently searched the car, found an AR-15 built on an 80% lower with a pistol grip, collapsible stock, and a bayonet lug. The guy eventually plead to a possession 4 (misdemeanor), cost him $14,000 for lawyers. And even regained his PP. Took a while though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
$14,000.00?  Not too bad but if it were me, I would lose my job so that $14k would be multiplied many time over multiplied by years forward.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if they were preban (pre 94) mags or not?

If I recall, preban mags are only a misdemeanor...whereas post ban is a violent felony, worse than raping a child.

Also, those mags are just 10 round .458 SOCOM mags or 10 round .50 Beowolf mags or 8 round 6.8 SPC mags, right?

If you don't agree, then all those .40 cal glock mags are illegal since they hold 12-13 rounds of 9mm...as do a ton of other brands of mags.

How is it that they can declare previously legally owned property illegal, without just compensation or grandfathering again?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll tell you what, in that story, the guy in question did just about everything wrong that he possibly could have.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Which town?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]
And what about your typical, law-abiding citizen that doesn't  have 14 grand?  What does he/she get?

It's awesome that the government gets to arrest people and confiscate their property with the stroke of a pen.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll tell you what, in that story, the guy in question did just about everything wrong that he possibly could have.
View Quote
But the lawyer went home at night to his family safe and happy.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I recall, preban mags are only a misdemeanor...whereas post ban is a violent felony, worse than raping a child.

Also, those mags are just 10 round .458 SOCOM mags or 10 round .50 Beowolf mags or 8 round 6.8 SPC mags, right?

If you don't agree, then all those .40 cal glock mags are illegal since they hold 12-13 rounds of 9mm...as do a ton of other brands of mags.

How is it that they can declare previously legally owned property illegal, without just compensation or grandfathering again?
View Quote
They did with the safe act no grandfathering- the out they gave was you could keep your 10+ round mags if permanently modified to hold ten rounds or less. There is no distinction in New York any more between pre ban or anything. The only wiggle room is magazines over fifty years old that hold over ten are still allowed but have to be registered with the state
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're blaming the lawyer? I think he did a splendid job, getting the guy out of three felonies. He even got his PP back. The lawyer is a hero, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, as far as the cop goes...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're blaming the lawyer? I think he did a splendid job, getting the guy out of three felonies. He even got his PP back. The lawyer is a hero, as far as I'm concerned.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, you need to re calibrate your sarcasm meter bro!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They did with the safe act no grandfathering- the out they gave was you could keep your 10+ round mags if permanently modified to hold ten rounds or less. There is no distinction in New York any more between pre ban or anything. The only wiggle room is magazines over fifty years old that hold over ten are still allowed but have to be registered with the state
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

I understand they (unconstitutionally) got rid of grandfathering...but that is not what I am talking about.

The law DOES differentiate between pre and post ban still...It is a lesser offense (Class A Misd.), or maybe not even an offense at all (if you were ignorant of the law), to possess a +10 mag IF it was made pre-94...AND if you owned it before the law took effect...

From the NYS troopers guide on the SAFE ACT...and it's in the actual law somewhere too...

2. New Penal Law section 265.36 / Unlawful Possession of a Large Capacity Ammunition
Feeding Device / class A misdemeanor
This reduced charge only applies to those who, before January 15th, 2013, lawfully possessed
an ammunition feeding device having a capacity of more than 10 rounds. Penal Law section
265.36 prohibits the knowing possession of these previously exempt magazines
(manufactured before 1994 having a capacity of more than 10 rounds). A violation of this
section is a class A misdemeanor.
But … there’s a catch…
If a person 1) mistakenly believed that possession of a pre-94 magazine was still legal; and
if, 2) he or she either surrenders the magazine or lawfully disposes of it within 30 days after
being notified by law enforcement or a county official that the magazine is unlawful, he or
she may not be charged with this offense.
@captain127
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys, which town was this in, I need to know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not recall at the moment. It could have been Pleasantville.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not true.

I understand they (unconstitutionally) got rid of grandfathering...but that is not what I am talking about.

The law DOES differentiate between pre and post ban still...It is a lesser offense (Class A Misd.), or maybe not even an offense at all (if you were ignorant of the law), to possess a +10 mag IF it was made pre-94...AND if you owned it before the law took effect...

From the NYS troopers guide on the SAFE ACT...and it's in the actual law somewhere too...

@captain127
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

2. New Penal Law section 265.36 / Unlawful Possession of a Large Capacity Ammunition
Feeding Device / class A misdemeanor
This reduced charge only applies to those who, before January 15th, 2013, lawfully possessed
an ammunition feeding device having a capacity of more than 10 rounds. Penal Law section
265.36 prohibits the knowing possession of these previously exempt magazines
(manufactured before 1994 having a capacity of more than 10 rounds). A violation of this
section is a class A misdemeanor.
But … there’s a catch…
If a person 1) mistakenly believed that possession of a pre-94 magazine was still legal; and
if, 2) he or she either surrenders the magazine or lawfully disposes of it within 30 days after
being notified by law enforcement or a county official that the magazine is unlawful, he or
she may not be charged with this offense.
@captain127
That is good to know.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
You meant "she did a splendid job".
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A little birdie told me a story about a guy who drove through one of Westchester towns. Got pulled over for tinted windows. The cop looked up that he has a PP. Asked about his pistol. The guy said it was in a glove box. Opened the glove box. Next to the pistol he had two 30-rd mags for a Mini-14. The cop subsequently searched the car, found an AR-15 built on an 80% lower with a pistol grip, collapsible stock, and a bayonet lug. The guy eventually plead to a possession 4 (misdemeanor), cost him $14,000 for lawyers. And even regained his PP. Took a while though.
View Quote
2 questions if I could:

1.) what system is the officer using to check for a PP?  I didn't know that they had this at their fingertips in NYS?

2.) what keeps the guy from saying "the gun is at home?" no search after that right?

Just probably what I think most savy guys would do
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Since I can't carry all of them at once, the answer of "my gun's at home" is going to always be technically correct.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2 questions if I could:

1.) what system is the officer using to check for a PP?  I didn't know that they had this at their fingertips in NYS?

2.) what keeps the guy from saying "the gun is at home?" no search after that right?

Just probably what I think most savy guys would do
View Quote
Actually, per NY case law, People vs. Garcia 2012, it was illegal for the cop to ask if he had a gun with him.  His proper response would have been silence, or "Do you suspect me of being involved in a crime, officer?".  If he hadn't voluntarily let the cop search his car (opened his glove box) he either wouldn't have found his rifle or, if he searched it anyway, none of the evidence would have been admissible in court.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually, per NY case law, People vs. Garcia 2012, it was illegal for the cop to ask if he had a gun with him.  His proper response would have been silence, or "Do you suspect me of being involved in a crime, officer?".  If he hadn't voluntarily let the cop search his car (opened his glove box) he either wouldn't have found his rifle or, if he searched it anyway, none of the evidence would have been admissible in court.
View Quote
Interesting to know...

I still am curious as to how the officer was able to pull up the permit info at a traffic stop
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Except in many place the judge 'requires' you to notify law enforcement when you are carrying. So now the average citizen who is not an ARF law major tells the officer first thing because they don't want to risk getting their permit taken away by the judge.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I still am curious as to how the officer was able to pull up the permit info at a traffic stop
View Quote
Usually the county is responsible to maintain the PP database. If the county clerk or court or whoever maintains that database gives permission for LE to access it it's pretty simple. There is currently nothing through the state database that returns PP info when running a license or a plate. You can submit requests to Albany for PP info (who has what guns registered to them) but it's not instant. Somebody from NYSP has to go and physically check the filing cabinet and then come back and reply to you. Might take minutes, might take days. I expect this is one of the things they are looking to change with the new database they are building.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Usually the county is responsible to maintain the PP database. If the county clerk or court or whoever maintains that database gives permission for LE to access it it's pretty simple. There is currently nothing through the state database that returns PP info when running a license or a plate. You can submit requests to Albany for PP info (who has what guns registered to them) but it's not instant. Somebody from NYSP has to go and physically check the filing cabinet and then come back and reply to you. Might take minutes, might take days. I expect this is one of the things they are looking to change with the new database they are building.
View Quote
So from what I see (and admittedly this story has limited information here) the officer knew this information when he came up to the car. Doesn't it seem a little strange that the officer knew this information if the only way he could do this is by actually calling the NYSP? Is this now standard for police to do?

Admittedly in Ohio we have to reveal this information to police, but that is because of state law. We also have our CC permits listed in the drivers license database. But for those of us who open carry there is no information available.

Just seems strange and in all probability is due to the story missing some information I guess
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So from what I see (and admittedly this story has limited information here) the officer knew this information when he came up to the car. Doesn't it seem a little strange that the officer knew this information if the only way he could do this is by actually calling the NYSP? Is this now standard for police to do?

Admittedly in Ohio we have to reveal this information to police, but that is because of state law. We also have our CC permits listed in the drivers license database. But for those of us who open carry there is no information available.

Just seems strange and in all probability is due to the story missing some information I guess
View Quote
Not necessarily. If the county this happened in maintains a local database and allows the police to access it then conceivably the officer would have this information any time a plate is ran as it would hit on the registered owners name. Again, I'd need some more specifics as to how they do things with regards to pistol permits and their database as well as their CAD system but it is possible depending on their local setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top