Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2020 12:44:20 PM EDT
Any sources in the Dane county area that aren't an arm and a leg?

I did order some online, but it'll be 3-7 days before it even ships according to their site.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Fleet Farm in Stevens Point has some, so I'd imagine the "Super Fleet" north of Madistan would also.  That IS an interesting round, by the way.  Looking for my next project and that caught my eye - that or a pistol (poor mans SBR).
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fleet Farm in Stevens Point has some, so I'd imagine the "Super Fleet" north of Madistan would also.
View Quote
Yup. The one in Delavan has it too. I imagine it's a company wide thing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I see the deforest store has them too, but I ain't paying a buck a round!

Anyway, I got a shipping notice, my ammo should be here this thursday, way sooner than I thought.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Starline sells the brass make your own.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I got brass (winchester) and dies. Lack bullets and proper powder at the moment. Need to pick up some 296 powder.

I may try some of my cast 158 SWC's in dummy rounds to see how they cycle. Size them down to .356. If they seem to work, then I can put on gas checks and powdercoat them.

Some folks are having bad experiences with the starline brass in this caliber.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve done some minor reading but aren’t the barrels for this actually 9mm bore?

Also, don’t be afraid to try lil gun & H110.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
As I understand it, Lil Gun has a pressure spike or something like that, that's not really suitable for this caliber. It works, but it's not optimum.
H110 is supposed to be similar to 296.

Either way, I need to get off my butt and try the 158gr SWC's and see if they work in the action. And shoot the factory ammo I bought and see how it does.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
9m/m - .355
350 Legend - .357

As I understand it anyway.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I understand it, Lil Gun has a pressure spike or something like that, that's not really suitable for this caliber. It works, but it's not optimum.

Either way, I need to get off my butt and try the 158gr SWC's and see if they work in the action. And shoot the factory ammo I bought and see how it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just saying H110 in case you didn’t see 296 anywhere. If you were close to me I’d be happy to give ya a pound of either.

Yeah, I could see Lil Gun getting testy on the high end.

You’d still see it in swiping or the primer if you went too far, at 2* throat angle, but lighter loads should be just fine for plinking.

Quoted:
Quoted:
9m/m - .355
350 Legend - .357

As I understand it anyway.
That’s projectile size, which SAAMI spec does call for a .357 projo. At the same time the chamber drawing calls for a .355 Groove/ .346 Bore. (+.002 tolerance). https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/350-Legend-CC-Drawing-Website.pdf

While tolerance allows for that spec barrel (.346-.348Bore) it can depend on what the manufacturer uses, not necessarily on the large end of the spec. When I was initially looking into it, which things do change from manufacturer to manufacturer, many were indeed using the .346-.347 bore .355 groove barrels. .357-.358” groove barrels use a .350” bore. So the spec calls for a 9mm bore barrel.

Note also in that spec it calls for projos of .357 (-.003) while the chamber throat is indeed .357”, keep in mind reamer wear that can result in that lead getting tighter over the life of the reamer. Just something to check.

My discussion with McGowen, utilizing their barrels with my cat, since I can use .355-.358 projos, was to not try to push .357-.358 projos through their barrels with a bore of .347”, which many 9mm barrels should be, according to them.

On my cat my chamber, for use with .358” projos, calls for a .359” throat (+.004”).

My point being, check your barrel OP. If it is a .350 bore you are fine running a .358” bullet even if the groove is .355-.357”. The bore is what is important here as well as the lead/ throat cut.

It sounds like you were going to be turning the bullets down to .356”? Am I understanding that correctly?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My stoner pistol length upper is supposed to have a groove of .355 with a 1:16 twist rate, fwiw
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.  I wonder why the disparity in bores?  From what I was reading, Winchester bullets are .357 dia., but it then goes on to say that they are produced in the same machines as the 9m/m bullets, which keeps costs low.  Can't figure that one out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing to add about bullet size in 350L...I'm a 450BM owner. As for those powders, I use W296 & H110 for both .44 MAG & .45 Colt "Ruger" loads pretty much interchangably. Typically about ~ .2 gr less of 296 gets the same velocity as H110 with 300gr hardcast-flatnose in all 4 guns in those calibers I use those loads in (2 of each caliber, 3 are Rugers, 1 of the .44s is a Dan Wesson). But those are pistols, the DW has a 4"-6"-10" barrels. Not sure if there's a bigger difference with longer barrels, but I doubt it. I have recently acquired some Lil Gun for the 450BM, but haven't used it yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I wonder why the disparity in bores?  From what I was reading, Winchester bullets are .357 dia., but it then goes on to say that they are produced in the same machines as the 9m/m bullets, which keeps costs low.  Can't figure that one out.
View Quote
It’s really not a disparity, it’s what they are calling for as a minimum tolerance.

You can go a thou or 2 larger on the pill than groove. The bore compresses the lead, as well as strips some away. How much force it takes to force the bullet through the bore & rifling certainly has an impact on chamber pressure delta.

I honestly don’t know why they went that route of specifying a smaller spec on the barrel. I also don’t understand why they also gave it a very short lead & a steeper throat than say 1*30.

All of those things are going to impact how the chamber builds pressure. It has a chamber more like a pistol. Yet that case volume can push those mass pills at rifle velocity.

It’s almost as if they used the chamber spec to hold back velocity. I can understand that to a point, but all of those barrel/ chamber specs really limit your projo selection & it’s velocity potential.

It really is an abortion of the original cat they stole it from.

My plan in having one was find a powderpuff load & run 9mm 147grn pills right to there max. Berry’s as an example says 1,200fps, but I know for a fact they can handle a bit more.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing to add about bullet size in 350L...I'm a 450BM owner. As for those powders, I use W296 & H110 for both .44 MAG & .45 Colt "Ruger" loads pretty much interchangably. Typically about ~ .2 gr less of 296 gets the same velocity as H110 with 300gr hardcast-flatnose in all 4 guns in those calibers I use those loads in (2 of each caliber, 3 are Rugers, 1 of the .44s is a Dan Wesson). But those are pistols, the DW has a 4"-6"-10" barrels. Not sure if there's a bigger difference with longer barrels, but I doubt it. I have recently acquired some Lil Gun for the 450BM, but haven't used it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d be interested to know how it turns out.

In my cat I prefer Lil Gun. I get more velocity with less charge, it burns better & the tone of the charge is very different. You can tell the pressure wave is stronger & it is a different frequency. You can really feel the difference in your chest. I haven’t pushed that powder to the point of flattening primers or swiping.

All the QL data shows a nice pressure curve with no crazy spikes. My testing is about right on with the prediction data.

That said, I use H110 for sub loads.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Just gotta ask-What the hell is a "cat"?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just gotta ask-What the hell is a "cat"?
View Quote
It’s slang for a wildcat, ie: A custom designed cartridge or a cartridge that is under development generally one that is derived from another cartridge.

In the example here the case is based off a 223Rem case that is blown out & sized for a 35 caliber. It is reminiscent of a 357 Maximum only not rimmed. The cat this was taken from was called the 35AR. Only the original one had a very good chamber with more projectile choices.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
OK.  I built my 22-250 before ammo was commercially available,so I can relate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK.  I built my 22-250 before ammo was commercially available,so I can relate.
View Quote
Exactly.

6.8SPC is a wildcat, as it is a de-rimmed 35Remington, gone main stream. With a sorted past that led to SPC II specs.

More notables is the 224Valkery, 6.5 Grendel and a host of others.

I find wildcatting a superb hobby. I thought I had a good grasp on stuff when I started, then I quickly learned I knew jack shit, still don’t compared to some, way more than many though.

It took me several years & a lot of money to get my cat where it is, & it’s still not complete to my liking. I love shooting it though & there is a huge satisfying feeling when I look back at where I started & where I’m at even though I don’t share much of what I’m doing. It’s a “me” project that I keep fairly close to the vest.

The main reason I can chime in on this thread is I have been following the 35AR since the cat became known. I was doing mine before him so I already had my ear to the ground, so to speak, with a good understanding of what he was doing. My cat & it share very similar traits, case capacity & caliber, so much of what works in mine  has worked in the 35L. Mine is just not as limited in certain aspects with more versatility as far as subs & .358” offerings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top