Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2023 8:18:44 AM EDT
I was 5 and enjoyed every minute outside in the snow.

What are some stories that y’all have of it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
My buddy had a big ‘81 Scottsdale with “44 Swampers on it and we were out cutting up in the snow, pulling folks out and dragging kids behind the truck on pool floats. Good times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Both my wife and I worked at the Boeing Jetplex under the airport but lived in Owens Cross Roads.  Plus we had to pick up our daughter off Slaughter Road.

I had to drag my wife out of work (she was working some high priority project on the Space Station program) and go get our daughter.  We actually didn't have that hard a time to get over the mountain and back home.  The trick was leaving early, not waiting until normal quitting time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Living in Pelham at the time. Wife was 8-1/2 months pregnant with our oldest son. I made her stay relaxed while we were home, because I remember seeing a news story on TV of a woman who went into labor and had to be carried on foot to Brookwood, because the ambulance got stuck. The doc who delivered her baby was ours too later that month. There was no way we would have made it if my wife had gone into labor at that time, due to our distance from any hospitals

Luckily, we were at the top of a hill and our power fed from the north. We were the last ones on that line. Our power was only off about 8 hours, but everyone past us on our street fed from the south, and their power was out for days. We also had a gas-assisted fireplace, so we did okay.

I remember the TV station crews were stranded on top of Red Mountain and had to "camp out". People calling in to the TV station and freaking out because they hadn't prepared. Videos of vehicles abandoned on the roads.

I had about 13" in our yard, and drifts higher than 3 feet in some areas.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope to have another blizzard just like ‘93!
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
7 days without power and running water (we were on a well) but plenty of propane and firewood......do not wish to repeat it all, ever
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I just remember that we made several snowmen and sledded down the hill we lived on. I don’t think we lost power, but it’s been a while since then.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I was about 8. Several weeks without power in rural Calhoun county. In addition to downed lines outside of town some jackass in town didn't want to go to work since still had power in town and put a few 30-06 vent holes in some substation transformers and knocked out power entirely and that took some time to get fixed. Lots of groceries outside in the snow, lots of kerosene heat.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I was a kid in NE Ohio at the time. We had between 3-4ft. Drifts were considerably higher. Only had 1 week off of school but king of the mountain at recess on the big piles where they plowed was way more fun than staying at home
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was 5 and enjoyed every minute outside in the snow.

What are some stories that y’all have of it?
View Quote

I grew up in Huntsville.  I remember an ice storm in the 80’s when I was a kid.  We had Ice so thick my father was ice skating up and down the road in our neighborhood.  Also went one night with my father to watch a UAH charger hockey game.  Ice on the roads.  An old white 4x4 van picked us up with like 20 others and took us to the vbcc.  We had to walk home afterward and it was cold.  The power was out at our house for a few days and we put the fridge stuff out on the back deck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I was 10 and lived in Alabaster. We lost power for 7 days, luckily the neighbor two doors down was on a different transformer and had power. They cooked for the whole street and everyone brought food that was about to go bad. There was a pregnant lady up the hill who went into labor. The fire trucks obviously couldn’t make it up the hill so they hiked up the hill and put her on a sled with rope attached to it and brought her down the hill that ways.

Good times.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I was 22. We never lost power. No work meant that we just walked around the neighborhood messing around. Also, my sister and her husband (at the time) lived about halfway up a decent hill. So we walked over there (took about an hour) and rode sleds, or whatever else we could find that would slide easily on snow, down that hill for quite a while. That was pretty much what we did for the few days everything was shut down.

I worked part time delivering pizzas on the weekends. The area supervisor tried to get me to come in and work. He drove to the store and opened it and then tried calling in all the drivers just so they could make a few bucks. We all told him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember the power went off that evening.  A short time after my girlfriend and I went to bed that night, probably midnight, I heard someone banging on the front door. I looked out my window and saw a women with two men walking up behind her. I responded back to her through the door and she started screaming. I grabbed my gun and went back to the door.  (did not blade at 45).  I asked her what was wrong and she said their house was on fire.  Turns out they lived down the street.  They attempted to refill a kerosene heater without turning it off, spilled fuel, and burned one of the men as well as starting a small fire. I let them come in and called the fire department.   They asked me to go check on their dog so I bundled up and headed down the street towards their house.  At that time the snow was probably 6-8" deep and the wind was absolutely howling.  I remember seeing the lightning too, I'd never seen that before.   I finally got to the house and saw fire showing out one window. I went around the rear and tried calling the dog but the house had too much smoke for me to enter.  I could hear the fire department coming but they would stop and you could hear them cutting their way through downed trees. By the time they got there the house was fully involved with fire. That was a pretty helpless feeling watching it burn down.  I went back to my house and told them the bad news. They ended up having to carry the man to the hospital in the rescue truck because the ambulance couldn't make it to the scene.  One of the men was a long haul trucker so they went to his truck and slept in the sleeper cab. It was quite an experience.

Other than that, we had an awesome time. The next day we climbed in my isuzu trooper and went to waffle house and ate. Their power was off but the grill was gas powered so they were cooking.  We drove all around Bessemer in that trooper. I think it was more snow capable than any truck I've owned to this date.

I'd gladly take another power outage for a good snow (over 6")
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#14]
My 21st birthday.  Snowed in with a keg, 4 gals of liquor,  various other party favors, and only like 9 other people.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 21st birthday.  Snowed in with a keg, 4 gals of liquor,  various other party favors, and only like 9 other people.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I was 13 and lived in trussville. I walked over to the “mall” and played at the playground. I don’t remember the storm as much as I do the aftermath. We lost power at some point. We kept the house warm with the fireplace and mom put some terracotta pots over the eyes of the gas stove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top