Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2022 12:25:42 PM EDT
Any of you old timers remember or have access to the old TO&E for the TNG in the mid-80s?  Trying to find out what the various brigades had for equipment.  I thought I recalled some of my old gray-haired NCOs talking about the 30th Armored Brigade having M60s but possibly M48s? I can't find anything on the 30th even being in TN at the time and that it had been converted to the 2 & 7/8ths in the mid-70s, but I could've sworn I had guys telling me stories of a 30th ESBT (Mech) being in TN at the time.

Anyone have any documentation or books for me to look at? My google-fu is failing me right now.

ETA:
Well, Wiki for Tennessee Army National Guard states:
When the 30th Infantry Division reorganized on 11 September 1947 it was composed of Guard units from North Carolina and Tennessee. In 1954 it was reorganized as a North-South Carolina division with the Tennessee portion reorganized and redesignated as the 30th Armored Division. The 30th Armored Division was inactivated on 1 December 1973, with its lineage carried by the 30th Armored Brigade and the 30th Support Group, TN ARNG.

The 194th Engineer Brigade was activated as an entity of the Tennessee Army National Guard on 1 November 1973. This occurred as a result of the major reorganization of the Tennessee ARNG which inactivated the 30th Armored Division. The numerical designation was derived from a former engineer unit of the Tennessee Army National Guard, the 194th Engineer Battalion, headquartered in Centerville, Tennessee.

More than 3,600 Tennessee Guardsmen responded to Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.[9] The 196th Field Artillery Brigade (including the 1st Battalion, 181st Field Artillery) was one of only two Army Guard combat units to see actual combat. The Tennessee Army deployed 17 units during the conflict. A few days prior to G-Day, Tennessee's 212th Engineer Company, attached to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), broke through the border berm into enemy territory, building a six-lane road. The unit traversed six miles before the ground war began, becoming the first unit of the 101st into Iraq and one of the first U.S. units to breach the Iraqi defensive zones.

The 30th Armored Brigade (Separate) furled its colors in Jackson, Tennessee in the early 1990s. The colors were passed to the 230th Area Support Group in Dyersburg, TN. The 230th has been inactivated since its return from Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.
View Quote

30th ABCT is now in NC.  Per its wiki, the 278th was converted from an infantry brigade to the ACR in 1977:

On 29 April 1977, the 278th (Separate) Infantry Brigade was reorganized and re-designated the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment, a separate corps maneuver Unit.
View Quote

So I guess I need to know what the various cav troops would've been equipped with in the mid-80s?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
After desert storm, I showed up and was greeted by a white tshirted, camo pants over weight E6....short version, I said what tanks you have here? M60 A3s....I said something like like "damn...dinosaur tanks"

He was offended and pissed and mumbled something offensive to me, I said fuck you, I was living on a M1A1 in the desert while you guarded bristol, when I replied he jumped up apologized and shook my hand.

In 93 we had 45's, grease guns, m16a2's, m113s, m60a3's...w/I a year or so iirc we got berretta 92's, humvee's and m1a1 tanks

Dang that's a long time ago

Why the curiosity?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I started my career on M1A1s.  

The Regiment is going through NEF to M1A2 V3 SEP.  Modernizing to match AD, and it’s about DAMN time!
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After desert storm, I showed up and was greeted by a white tshirted, camo pants over weight E6....short version, I said what tanks you have here? M60 A3s....I said something like like "damn...dinosaur tanks"

He was offended and pissed and mumbled something offensive to me, I said fuck you, I was living on a M1A1 in the desert while you guarded bristol, when I replied he jumped up apologized and shook my hand.

In 93 we had 45's, grease guns, m16a2's, m113s, m60a3's...w/I a year or so iirc we got berretta 92's, humvee's and m1a1 tanks

Dang that's a long time ago

Why the curiosity?
View Quote

Thank you for the info.

Curiosity is two fold…

1: I just like military history and want to know more about the unit I was in. I got reclassed in ‘04 when we got home from OIF1 and ETS’d from the RSS in Columbia.

2: main reason - I play a tabletop war game called “Team Yankee” that’s set in 1985-1989 and the next release is a book called “Wolverines!” It will have National Guard unit rules and I want to model the 278th for use in the game but at the time of the OP I didn’t know if it still had M48s of some flavor or if they had gotten M60s yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Regiment is going through NEF to M1A2 V3 SEP.  Modernizing to match AD, and it’s about DAMN time!
View Quote

Damn. I didn’t know 278th was slated for V3s. That’s awesome. When is that supposed to go down?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Preliminaries are occurring now.  Should be complete before 2025.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol, team Yankee and brightstar? Was required in reading after basic, I picked up another copy few years ago to read again

Oh to add on the edit, we had those little m151? The jeep thing with 4 wheel independent suspension and full cargo nets so nothing fell out, when traveling you would just pull the hand throttle full out and cruise at 45 We rolled them things all the time at Fort Stewart, 4 people could push them back onto tires.

Maintenance also had a M88 for tank recovery
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

So where do the tanks live in state?

When I was at UT there a TNARNG facility off Southerland Ave. that usually had some kind of armor in it, then here in Nashville by the Armory Drive / 100 Oaks area used to have a Bradley or M113 in it.

Never seen tanks except in McMinnville and Tullahoma a few times when I was visiting the grandparents as a kid.

I've always imagined a big ass parking lot full of the 278th's armor.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
>I've always imagined a big ass parking lot full of the 278th's armor.

It exists. It's just behind several fences and they are circumspect as to where.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Across several states.  

It saves money to keep them close to training areas large enough to support movement & maneuver/gunnery.  Shipping these via rail every time we go to training would cost $MM…every time.  That’s money the state doesn’t have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top