Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2023 9:55:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Proposed RI AWB to be announced at 1130 Tues 31 Jan 2023.  Details will follow when text of proposed bill is available.  I expect that identical versions of the Bill will be submitted to both House and Senate later on 31 Jan and referred to appropriate Committees.  When the Official text of the Bill(s) becomes available, I will post a link here.

Dem RI State Rep Jason Knight and Dem RI State Senator Joshua Miller will be in charge of pushing the Bill through their respective Chambers of State Legislature.

Those of you who wish to watch proceedings on TV, here's a link: https://www.rilegislature.gov/CapTV/Pages/default.aspx   I believe the "show" begins at 4 PM.

Text of RI House version of Assault Weapons Ban of 2023.  Note that there have been changes from the 2022 version.  I could be wrong, but it appears even a bare-bones 10-22 would be considered an "Assault Weapon".

RI AWB (H5300) 2023 Text
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
RI isn't wasting any time on bans.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The only and I mean only saving grace is that the Speaker and Senate Pres have stated they want to hear testimony, and the hearing process before backing the bill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
RI AWB 2023 Bill Text Added.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Does it work in our favor that they cant even spell what they're proposing?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Weird. I thought according to all of the emotive statements last year, including from the "impartial" judge, it was the magazines that were the problem?

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Speedie:
Weird. I thought according to all of the emotive statements last year, including from the "impartial" judge, it was the magazines that were the problem?

View Quote
Yes, that occurred to me as well.  As far as I can see, the "Problem" is that some law-abiding and responsible Citizens of Rhode Island own firearms the type of which a minority disapproves.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I know the answer would be extremely relative, but what is the expectation as far as timeline, if passed, for implementation?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:
I know the answer would be extremely relative, but what is the expectation as far as timeline, if passed, for implementation?
View Quote
Owners of such "Assault Weapons" would have a Year "Grace Period" at the end of which they would be required by law to take certain actions, as specified in the law itself.  That period starts when the Bill is signed into law by RI Governor, a task he has said he is anxious to accomplish.

Typical end of session for RI legislature is in early June, BUT in the event that this law is not passed by then, I >>believe<< the Bills will still be "active" after Summer recess and can still be enacted in the Fall Legislative session.

As things stand, I don't see any reason why the House and Senate Leadership teams will try to "slow-roll" this bill, but that remains to be seen.  There may be less enthusiasm for this bill in RI Senate compared to RI House.

Suggest we all obtain ways to communicate with our RI Representatives and Senators-- ways to do this on  RI General Assembly web site, linked below.  Those who are Constituents of House and Senate Judiciary Committee members have 2X the clout.  Every e-mail, phone call, and letter counts; it is common to hear Sens and Reps say that if they receive only a couple of e-mails, etc., it gets their attention.
Make certain to have as many like-minded friends and family do the same.

You can find your State Senator and Rep and ways to contact them at the following link:  RI General Assembly   You can also find out the names and contact info of the members of the relevant committees at same site.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top