Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2019 8:44:06 PM EDT
Well, 2020 is just a lick away. We've got a pretty good idea what is going on in Virginia as far as gun laws are concerned.

Has anyone heard from their reps on what is going to try to be pushed in our state?

I didn't see another thread. If this is a dupe, I apologize.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard of any specific plans but I would expect UBC and Red Flagging to be pushed.  Anti-gun activists realize they need to push their infringements incrementally and these 2 would be the only low hanging fruit they'd actually have a chance of passing here in MN in my opinion, barring some type of mass shooting here in MN.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't heard of any specific plans but I would expect UBC and Red Flagging to be pushed.  Anti-gun activists realize they need to push their infringements incrementally and these 2 would be the only low hanging fruit they'd actually have a chance of passing here in MN in my opinion, barring some type of mass shooting here in MN.
View Quote
I emailed my rep (Jeff Backer) and he replied saying he will oppose and fight any sort of unnecessary and over restricting  gun laws. Hopefully we can avoid what is going on in Virginia, but I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My representative (Garofalo) has stated in no uncertain terms that ANY gun control legislation will get a "no" vote from him, and his record supports that claim.
My idiot senator, though (Little) is exactly the opposite. He'll support anything that comes across his seat.

(Funny story: I have a solid, professional relationship with another DFL representative. He's a centrist and opposes most gun control legislation, though I'd expect him to at least partially follow party leadership. He told me, "Senator Little is a rude, insolent little prick." )

Good to see no one else likes the little shit, either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a hearing coming up about this in Hibbing on the 21st of this month, no time or location has been determined yet. I'll drop a link to a brief article and another for the gun owners caucus so if anyone is interested, they can look for updates.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/government-and-politics/4829575-Minnesota-gun-control-bills-fate-to-be-hashed-out-in-Hibbing

https://www.gunowners.mn/hibbing
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Please remember to join the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus.
https://www.gunowners.mn/join
I just renewed/donated.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The POS police chief of Bloomington spoke in favor of both HF8 and HF9 last year at some committee meeting.

I plan on challenging his assertions publicly at a city council meeting this year if he does the same. He’s not getting away with it without a response, and I’m fair to middlin’ at writing and giving statements to that leftist cesspool of shit. —-To digress for a moment, residents of Bloomington recently got the council to relent on their grandiose idea of destroying a massive park in the city by planting an $85 million dollar community center on it. The issue’s not settled but they know they are facing stiff and growing opposition.

Now, does anyone know the status of any anti gun bills for 2020? I know we’re just getting spun up For the session but I haven’t heard much. Is the wind out of their sails a bit or are we just waiting for everything to drop?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Please remember to join the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus.
https://www.gunowners.mn/join
I just renewed/donated.
View Quote
Thanks for the reminder. Just renewed after a lapse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...snip...

Now, does anyone know the status of any anti gun bills for 2020? I know we’re just getting spun up For the session but I haven’t heard much. Is the wind out of their sails a bit or are we just waiting for everything to drop?
View Quote
I don't know anything about specific bills, but I can just about guarantee that the MN house will pass various anti-gun bills. The key to the 2020 session will be keeping our slim MN GOP majority in the senate in line.

Cue another request to support the MNGOC.

Let's also make sure we keep MN from becoming the next Virginia as the upcoming election season ramps up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
On Tuesday, January 21, the Minnesota Senate Judiciary and Public Safety Committee will hold a hearing on both anti-gun and pro-gun legislation.  The committee will be taking testimony on Senate File 434 (criminalizing private firearm transfers) and Senate File 436 (“Red Flag” legislation).  The committee will also be taking testimony on two pro-gun bills:  Senate File 72 (self-defense legislation) and Senate File 748 (Constitutional Carry).  Please attend this hearing on Tuesday, January 21 or contact your State Senator and urge them to OPPOSE Senate File 434 and Senate File 436, and to SUPPORT Senate File 72 and Senate File 748.

Senate File 434, sponsored by Senator Ron Latz (DFL-46), would potentially criminalize almost all private firearm transfers in Minnesota.

Senate File 436, sponsored by Senator Ron Latz (DFL-46), would violate an individual’s constitutional rights and allow for a chief law enforcement officer or designee to petition the court for an ex parte order to remove an individual’s Second Amendment rights without due process.

Senate File 72, sponsored by Senator Carrie Ruud (R-10), would allow for law-abiding citizens to defend and protect themselves and their loved ones while in their home.  Victims of violent crime who responded with defensive force should not have to face criminal or civil prosecution.

Senate File 748, sponsored by Senators Mark Koran (R-32) and Andrew Lang (R-17), would remove the requirement to obtain a permit in order to lawfully carry a firearm for self-defense.  This legislation gives Minnesotans the freedom to choose the best method of carrying for them.

If you are able to, please attend this hearing at 1:00 PM at The Crown Ballroom (214 East Howard Street, Hibbing, MN 55746).  Also, please contact your state Senator to OPPOSE Senate File 434 and Senate File 436, and to SUPPORT Senate File 72 and Senate File 748.

Please stay turned for NRA-ILA Alerts for more information on Minnesota’s 2020
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't sure where to put this.  Hope it's not a sign of things to come.  We could be easily be in VA's situation at this time next year if people don't get out and vote in November!

Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wasn't sure where to put this.  Hope it's not a sign of things to come.  We could be easily be in VA's situation at this time next year if people don't get out and vote in November!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOtSL5-WoAIWLwE?format=jpg
View Quote
Most excellent

I love using the left's own tactics against them, although in this case it's to protect citizens and uphold the Constitution, rather than protecting people who are breaking the law by default.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
A few quotes from the article in case you're blocked out of it:

The gulf between the two sides will come into sharp focus Tuesday when state lawmakers gather in Hibbing to debate a half-dozen new gun proposals at a special hearing, the second of two meetings convened by the Republican-led Senate's judiciary committee ahead of the Feb. 11 start of the legislative session. An earlier meeting in St. Paul last month focused on existing gun laws in the state. Nothing will be up for a vote, but Senate Republicans are expecting to use the hearing to galvanize support for their counterproposals to ongoing calls for new firearms restrictions.
The Judiciary Committee's chairman, Sen. Warren Limmer, R-Maple Grove, said the prospects remain dim for the Democratic gun control proposals, both of which passed in the DFL-controlled House last year but were blocked in the Senate without formal hearings or votes.
Gun safety activists and Democrats such as state Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park, are meanwhile dismissing the public gathering in Hibbing as a "political show hearing." "I think they finally feel like they're boxed in and they've got to make it look like they're proactive," said Latz, who is sponsoring new background check and red flag legislation for the 2020 Legislature.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Latz is a walking pictograph of a dickhead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Cliff notes from the meeting. I was there start to finish. Arrived 20 minutes early to a full house. Poor location. Crown Ballroom is nice for a small wedding but not this sort of engagement. Visibility sucked and the PA system was even worse. Staff didn't even have an American flag up front at the start. Probably 200 people in attendance with 10% being mom's demand action/everytown. Seen. Ron Latz was his usual snyde self. "Rights are not absolute" really stirred the crowd. "A child is more important than your due process". Been Doer from MNGOC brought his A game. A woman from Britian who is now an American citizen was very articulate about upholding your Oath to the Constitution. Another woman from Kenya (now citizen) also spoke on behalf of women being able to defend themselves. There were no breaks during the hearing. They were recording everyone who entered the hall. A couple plainsclothes and 2 uniforms (MSP) we're on site. I didn't see any long guns but I'm positive some sidearms we're concealed. And finally, a spirited minister from N Mpls tore into the committee for not doing more or listening to those on the streets about death, violence and holding criminals accountable. Meeting adjourned around 6:10 pm, well past the scheduled 1-4 as advertised.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#20]
A few other notes. The NRA had a lawyer, Brian Gosch, say few words to support the cause. Seems like a good guy. There were some outbursts from the crowd that Latz brought up, complaining to the Chairman. I wished I could have made it to the social gathering the night before. Lots of photos taken by 3 journalists (Intel gathering). They were way short on agenda handouts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
@sakohntr

Is this a quote from Latz? "A child is more important than your due process."
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cliff notes from the meeting. I was there start to finish. Arrived 20 minutes early to a full house. Poor location. Crown Ballroom is nice for a small wedding but not this sort of engagement. Visibility sucked and the PA system was even worse. Staff didn't even have an American flag up front at the start. Probably 200 people in attendance with 10% being mom's demand action/everytown. Seen. Ron Latz was his usual snyde self. "Rights are not absolute" really stirred the crowd. "A child is more important than your due process". Been Doer from MNGOC brought his A game. A woman from Britian who is now an American citizen was very articulate about upholding your Oath to the Constitution. Another woman from Kenya (now citizen) also spoke on behalf of women being able to defend themselves. There were no breaks during the hearing. They were recording everyone who entered the hall. A couple plainsclothes and 2 uniforms (MSP) we're on site. I didn't see any long guns but I'm positive some sidearms we're concealed. And finally, a spirited minister from N Mpls tore into the committee for not doing more or listening to those on the streets about death, violence and holding criminals accountable. Meeting adjourned around 6:10 pm, well past the scheduled 1-4 as advertised.
View Quote
Thanks for attending and posting the report!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for attending and posting the report!
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfoX6tLL9Bk

I can't embed youtube videos but everyone should watch this one from the Hibbing hearings.  Protect Minnesota is crying about the hearings now since it did not go their way!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, Latz said that. The protection of a child is paramount to your Due Process rights being violated as no Rights are absolute. This was all recorded but I don't know how to access it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Embed from above
Rev. Tim Christopher testimony - Senate Judiciary Committee - January 21st, 2020 - Hibbing, MN
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Outstanding Rev!!

@Er_Mah_Gerd thanks for sharing the link!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]
No prob but I just posted the video link above me.

Dude was on his game. Can’t articulate exactly how but I wasn’t thinking how to add any more, like with news stories.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Bakk out as Senate minority leader for the DFL.

Keep your powder dry, boys.

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Great.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm all for them taking the mask off.

We just need to show people who they really are.
View Quote
That may be the silver lining and I was thinking the same thing.  It's an election year, but I hope they go completely off the deep end this legislative session and do just that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
House File 8 (Universal Gun Registration) and House File 9 (Red Flag Gun Confiscation) is headed to the Minnesota House Floor on THURSDAY THIS WEEK - looks like they are gaveling in at 3:30 PM.

This morning, the Minnesota House Rules Committee approved HF8 (Universal Gun Registration) and HF9 (Red Flag Gun Confiscation) to move to the house floor on Thursday, February 27th.

We expect the session to gavel in at 3:30 PM, but this may change.

IF YOU CAN MAKE IT, WE NEED YOU THERE.

WHERE: State Capitol - House Chamber (look for House Gallery entrance, 3rd floor)
WHEN: Arrive by 2:45PM to obtain a good seat. There is seating for around 80 people. There is a lot of standing room only space.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Just posted on the MNGOC's Twitter account.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice to see Skare a Lesbian giving anti-gun groups 2 full minutes and nothing to pro gun groups.

Assholes.

I assume 9 and 5 news were both the same?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Had no clue on this...
What happened??? Please.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Did last year's gun control bills make it through the house? Also, did we lose any Senate seats since last year?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did last year's gun control bills make it through the house? Also, did we lose any Senate seats since last year?
View Quote
Last session the bills were tucked in a larger bill to protect vulnerable DFL'rs from having to take an up or down vote on them. The Senate told the House to send them over individually or they wouldn't vote on them. House refused.

This session the House called their bluff and passed them as stand alone bills right out of the gate.

GOP still holds a majority in the Senate.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:36:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Thank you. It's getting difficult keeping track in my head what passed and what didn't, and when, and in what state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top