Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2024 3:12:49 PM EDT
https://www.wltx.com/article/news/crime/8-arrested-after-shooting-at-backyard-bar-club-on-march10-sumter-southcarolina/101-ec195962-6cf0-4e64-bcbb-e41728ac1fcd

SUMTER, S.C. — Sumter Police has announced the arrest of eight people after a bar fight and shooting left four injured on March 10.

Two bar patrons and six members of the staff hired to work security at Backyard Bar and Grill on Rast Street in Sumter have been charged and Sumter Police say more arrests may be pending.

According to police, Backyard Bar and Grill has been a source of multiple calls for police response over the past few years. In November 2023, the Sumter Police Department filed a petition with the South Carolina Department of Revenue in an effort to get the bar's alcohol license revoked. Those hearings are pending.

In the latest incident on March 10, police responded to a call around 6 p.m. regarding a fight at the bar possibly involving gunfire. Investigators believe a disagreement involving patrons attending brunch evolved into a large fight outside in to the bar's parking lot where shots were fired. Three victims -- a 29-year-old female from Columbia, a 26-year-old female from Bethune, and a 21-year-old male from Sumter -- were hit by gunfire and a 31-year-old woman fell and was run over by a car leaving the scene. All four persons were treated at area hospitals and released.

Investigators were able to obtain casings from both hand and long guns from outside the bar.

The eight people facing charges are:

Myzariah Lucas, 22, of Gable, is charged with attempted murder, possession of a weapon during a violent crime, possession of a gun on premises where alcohol is sold and aggravated breach of peace. Information gathered in the investigation indicates Lucas and at least two other people fired shots outside of the club.

Aaliyah I. Blanding, 27, of Spaulding Ave., is charged with aggravated breach of peace and possession of a weapon on premises where alcohol is sold.

Kevin Bethea, 35, of Jade Tree Lane, Hopkins, is charged with obstruction of justice. Bethea, owner of Cerberus Security & Protection in Sumter, turned himself in today.

Steven Bethea, 32, of Barton Street, who was acting as a security guard and is not licensed through the State Law Enforcement Division, is charged with possession of a weapon on premises where alcohol is sold. Bethea turned himself in Monday night.

Keion Shakel Dicks, 22, of Council Street, is charged with possession of a weapon on premises where alcohol is sold and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon. He was acting as a security guard and is not licensed by the State Law Enforcement Division. Dicks turned himself in Monday night.

Zachary Sebastian Geddings, 20, of Osteen Lane, is charged with possession of a weapon on premises where alcohol is sold. He was acting as a security guard and is not licensed by the State Law Enforcement Division. Geddings turned himself in Monday.

Julius Armonte Rasheem Ellerbe, 24, of Barton St., is charged with possession of a weapon on premises where alcohol is sold. He was acting as a security guard and is not currently licensed by the State Law Enforcement Division. Ellerbe’s security license was revoked in 2023 after an unrelated incident in Florence County where he is facing felony charges.  Ellerbe turned himself in this morning.

James Lewis Love, 51, of Frisco Branch Road, is charged with obstruction of justice. Love is a co-owner of Cerberus Security & Protection. Love was placed in custody Monday at his home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
This should get dropped -possession of a gun on premises where alcohol is sold. Thats not a charge anymore. Restaurant carry fixed that. Aslong as you are not drink and it is not properly posted.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:
This should get dropped -possession of a gun on premises where alcohol is sold. Thats not a charge anymore. Restaurant carry fixed that. Aslong as you are not drink and it is not properly posted.
View Quote

Yep

Unlicensed security should stick.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Tomorrow I'll drive over there to see if there are any posting signs and whether or not they meet the legal standard. Most nightclubs here already have them including Brewers but we all know how that turned out.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#5]
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:
This should get dropped -possession of a gun on premises where alcohol is sold. That's not a charge anymore. Restaurant carry fixed that. Aslong as you are not drink and it is not properly posted.
View Quote

I have to believe this establishment is posted but again I won't know until I go there tomorrow and I will take photos. It may also be that police tried to hand out as many charges as possible to see which ones stick. Not unusual.

BTW from what I'm seeing and by the number of rounds fired it looks like the pistol used is one of those SCCY "glitter slide" guns: pink frame and purple glitter slide.

Should be interesting to see if any civil cases arise in addition to the criminal ones.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#7]
I did go over to Backyard Bar & Grill this morning (no camera, sorry). The entrances to the establishment are posted with prohibitive signs although IMO they don't appear to meet legal standard in terms of exact wording or lettering size; dimensions, placement, and pictograms appear to be within legal standard.  

But signs are not the only thing that come into play. If the contract security people were at the entrances esp. if they were using a wand to (unsuccessfully) detect firearms or pat down persons/searching bags this would likely complete what is necessary to make the establishment "off limits".

As an aside I spoke with a retired Sumter PD officer about this matter and I was not surprised that he really was not very knowledgeable concerning SC gun law either in terms of alcohol establishments or state preemption. He insisted that that under no circumstances can a person with a CWP or under constitution legally carry into a "bar". He had no knowledge of any changes to the CWP law either ten years ago much less a week ago. He was also not knowledgeable as to the fact that SC does not distinguish between an upscale restaurant with an on-premises liquor license or a roadhouse punch-out palace that only serves beer. An establishment is either on-premises or it isn't.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#8]
Even after the SLED/AG sent out the letter that explains the laws. Go figure. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Note that this letter does not mention said prohibitive signs must meet criteria as passed into law in 2002.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Note that this letter does not mention said prohibitive signs must meet criteria as passed into law in 2002.
View Quote

I “think” that is on the second page. I don’t have a copy of that.

You are correct about the sign requirements and most don’t meet it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MitchbSC] [#11]
SLED letter link:

https://sled.sc.gov/forms/regulatory/Constitutional%20Carry%20Guidance.pdf

I don't see a mention of alcohol, establishment, or restaurant.  "Signs" are on page 4.  It does reference SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

Page 4 text ... Prohibited Locations ...

(11) place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the
premises in compliance with Section 23-31-235. A person who violates a provision of this item,
whether the violation is wilful or not, only may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620
and must not be charged with or penalized for a violation of this subsection.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:14:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#12]
Backyard owners have announced they are closing down. Gee, I wonder why? They were so rich and vibrant.

https://www.wistv.com/2024/04/01/backyard-bar-grill-closes-down-weeks-after-shooting-incident/
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess cops just stacking charges. Even though everyone will get possession of firearm where alcohol sold dropped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top