Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You would be surprised how many guys have those "commie guns"

...and there'll be even MORE of those sheet metal and plywood abominations after the next build in January!
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last year when "they" (search archives in NYHT forum) had the AK building party in Bergen and it seems a dozen of them built their AKs.

Bergen? Dear God that's practically in Perry, they're probably sharpening spears out there! I meant here in the civilized world where we wear shoot Colts and break for tea time.

Are you kidding? lol If you find a house with in a square mile in bergen that DOES NOT have a gun in it, I'd be shocked. were all a bunch of hillbilly gun toting morons out here. shit most people just shoot out there back window in the winter because they dont want to get cold.

lol, but no, bergen is a WELL ARMED village...and were actually pritty far from perry....now that place is a shit hole. lol
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My summer EBR action matches are open to any mil-type rifle. You are welcome to use your AK.  I limit the number of attendees to allow guys who wish to shoot 2X, so you could even shoot both platforms in the same match.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I will try to make it Sunday for a little while and maybe even put some down range.  It's my only real day off this week and promised the wife we would get the Christmas tree on Saturday and set it up on Sunday.  I should be able to get out for a little while though.  Look forward to meeting some of the hometown crew.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
For those of  you comming out,  the shooting area will be muddy, so you may wish to bring an extra pair of shoes or boots,

See you there,
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
not going to make it tomarrow. I got the "list" of chores to do and i blew all my money on x-mas shopping. I also heard that were supposed to get freezing rain later tomarrow, so dress for it!!!

hopfully I'll beable to meet up with you guys soon!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a chance to stop out for an hour or so and meet up with Ron and Ed and it was definitely a unique shooting experience. Very different from just punching paper from a bench. Weather was nice and there were many learning opportunities to be had. Hopefully these can turn into weekly shoots.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I could have made it today. Hopefully there will be another where I can meet everybody.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm in for a weekend carbine or shotgun shoot.

Ditto for me too! I live in Greece, but I'm fine with driving to Canadaigua for a some realistic training/shooting. Heck, Raysheen and I could probably car pool there

ETA: when is the next event? I only caught this thread today
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto for me too! I live in Greece, but I'm fine with driving to Canadaigua for a some realistic training/shooting. Heck, Raysheen and I could probably car pool there

sounds good to me! let's do it! ...still need a new sight for my shotgun though...
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds good to me! let's do it! ...still need a new sight for my shotgun though...

You can always borrow a shotgun from me if your in a pinch for the next one.
IM me if you need to borrow one.

Rich219, Gander Mtn recently had Brenneke KO slugs at $2.50 per 5 plus tax. Not the best price but they had a metric ton of them in stock (And those were the cheapest slugs they had in stock).
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: when is the next event? I only caught this thread today

I believe they're going to be doing it next Sunday also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
Interested in getting an idea of how many people would be interested in getting together for defensive shoots in Canandaigua, NY.

Shoots would involve tactical shooting from concealment against multiple targets, and include tips/techniques to improve your performance. These events could be done weekly (say Monday nights) and could cover handgun as well as pistol and perhaps carbine (alternating weeks) if there is enough interest. Events could last an hour or two each week, and can include low-level/night shooting outdoors.

Purpose is to get some hands-on practice throughout the year, regardless of weather. Cost would be kept minimal, say $20 or so.

Right now interested in gauging level of interest, as well as logistics of when to do them, for how long, pistol/shotgun/carbine. Let's hear it...

Ed, I have heard a lot about you but dont' yet know you.  How far is Canandaigua from Syracuse?  Ilion? This sounds like it could be fun and I would be interested.  I am sure it wouldn't take too much arm twisting to get adirondack1 to bring us both.  I don't have a pistol/pistol permit yet, but it would be fun to learn some tactics just for the heck of it.  I do own a .22LR rimfire.  I am sure adirondack1 wouldn't mind loaning me something of his if I needed something else.  Would it be ok for a gal to come?h.gif
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interested in getting an idea of how many people would be interested in getting together for defensive shoots in Canandaigua, NY.

Shoots would involve tactical shooting from concealment against multiple targets, and include tips/techniques to improve your performance. These events could be done weekly (say Monday nights) and could cover handgun as well as pistol and perhaps carbine (alternating weeks) if there is enough interest. Events could last an hour or two each week, and can include low-level/night shooting outdoors.

Purpose is to get some hands-on practice throughout the year, regardless of weather. Cost would be kept minimal, say $20 or so.

Right now interested in gauging level of interest, as well as logistics of when to do them, for how long, pistol/shotgun/carbine. Let's hear it...

Ed, I have heard a lot about you but dont' yet know you.  How far is Canandaigua from Syracuse?  Ilion? This sounds like it could be fun and I would be interested.  I am sure it wouldn't take too much arm twisting to get adirondack1 to bring us both.  I don't have a pistol/pistol permit yet, but it would be fun to learn some tactics just for the heck of it.  I do own a .22LR rimfire.  I am sure adirondack1 wouldn't mind loaning me something of his if I needed something else.  Would it be ok for a gal to come?

It takes me about 1 hr or so to get from syracuse to canandaigua via the thru-way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]
HI Guys,  Edward is still working on the AAR,  I've had him busy the past couple of days.  He is currently taking LMI's 2 day advanced pistol course (he already took the two day basic, and 16 hours of CQC), and he says he can't get enough of the training, as it is real life, and the guy just  loves to shoot.

We are hoping to beable to do it again this next sunday, but we are unsure of who will make it, as Rich219 WAS THE ONLY PERSON who showed up this past sunday, and it is rough to get all set up, and have only one person show up.

And of course,  Edward brough all kinds of SWEET toys to show and tell.

Please keep this thread going, and let's find out who is interested????  But please, if you mention that you will show up,, PLEASE SHOW UP,  even if you don't shoot, you can always borrow some eyes and ears, and watch as someone else goes through the scenarios.   As Rich found out,  IT IS PURE TACTICS, and Defensive, and FUN!!!!!  It would be simply fantastic to get a hard corp group together, and do this every Sunday.  But again,  it will be held in ALL WEATHER,  even yesterday, as it was snowing and freezing rain, we were out having a blast in it, and enjoying the fresh air at the same time,,

When Edward gets some time, he will do an AAR,

Link Posted: 12/10/2007 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
HI Guys,  Edward is still working on the AAR,  I've had him busy the past couple of days.  He is currently taking LMI's 2 day advanced course (he already took the two day basic, and 16 hours of CQC), and he says he can't get enough of the training, as it is real life.

We are hoping to beable to do it again this next sunday, but we are unsure of who will make it, as Rich219 WAS THE ONLY PERSON who showed up this past sunday, and it is rough to get all set up, and have only one person show up.

And of course,  Edward brough all kinds of SWEET toys to show and tell.

Please keep this thread going, and let's find out who is interested????  But please, if you mention that you will show up,, PLEASE SHOW UP,  even if you don't shoot, you can always borrow some eyes and ears, and watch as someone else goes through the scenarios.   As Rich found out,  IT IS PURE TACTICS, and Defensive, and FUN!!!!!  It would be simply fantastic to get a hard corp group together, and do this every Sunday.

When Edward gets some time, he will do an AAR,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it this weekend, think I have to go down to PA, but will definitely make it the following weekend.

If there's not enough interest for weekly shoots we could consider doing shoots everyother weekend.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I want to try and make it down there this sunday. but works killing me at the moment. as far as weekly shoots go, as much as i'd like to do it, im not sure my wallet will have it. it costs me alot of money in gas to drive that far every week. If we were to do a bi-weekly shoot it might be more doable for me. like I said, if my boss lets me i'd love to try and get down there this weekend or next to meet you guys!.

I need to be rich, to many things not enough money.lol or maybe buy a geo metro insted of a full size truck?
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#25]
The timing is bad now. Deer season through next weekend and then Christmas/New Years. Maybe in Jan. more folks will be able to attend.

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit2-Oh, I told the g/f we'd go shoot Sunday, ah well. Have fun guyshe
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

edit2-Oh, I told the g/f we'd go shoot Sunday, ah well. Have fun guys

By saying we, can I assume she shoots as well?  Maybe we can double up some time..I would love to not always be the only gal amongst all the guys once in a while...lol

hmmm, maybe we could work something out with this...
I know my wife has been wanting to get back into shooting...she used to shoot a lot more but hasn't had much time since we moved to NY.
Perhaps Mrs.LovBUSHmaster might want to attend as well?
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

By saying we, can I assume she shoots as well?  Maybe we can double up some time..I would love to not always be the only gal amongst all the guys once in a while...lol

I know my wife has been wanting to get back into shooting...she used to shoot a lot more but hasn't had much time since we moved to NY.

Mrs,luvBUSHmaster is willing to attend and likes the idea of getting more ladies  involved, but she is currently 8months pregnant with our #2 kiddo. I'm sure she will be willing to attend these shoots later on like this spring, especially with her new NY State Carry Pistol Permit that she should have by then. Until then, its just old bearded me to do the shooting and scooting.

I'm in for this Sunday, 12/16/07, and I will bring Raysheen along as well if he is good to go.
How much ammo should I plan to bring, ditto mags. I don't have any hi speed low drag gear like dump bags or a drop leg holster. I've got an AR, Service XD40, and an mod'ed 870 for firearms to bring/run for this.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#30]
That's better than a finger gun!
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit2-Oh, I told the g/f we'd go shoot Sunday, ah well. Have fun guyshe

Mrs,luvBUSHmaster is willing to attend and likes the idea of getting more ladies  involved, but she is currently 8months pregnant with our #2 kiddo. I'm sure she will be willing to attend these shoots later on like this spring, especially with her new NY State Carry Pistol Permit that she should have by then. Until then, its just old bearded me to do the shooting and scooting.

Hmmmm...if there are at least 6 g/f  and wives around in this area, maybe we can get a female shootoff/competition going....along with some of the defensive training classes you all are so into...or do you all already do this?
By the way...congradulations on the baby....do you know what #2 is going to be? (besides one of the generation's best shooters?   )
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
HI Again,  So far it sounds like this Sunday is on,,  From 2 until 6 or so.  Chances are, Eward will bring his TOYS,  AGAIN,,

It would be fantastic to get some ladies involved in both the league and local shootings,  so please, come if you get a chance, and see what it is about.  

Basically for those unsure, it is mocked exercises, that are scenario based.  There are multiple shoot / no shoot targets, barricades, and steel, and you run through, and shoot.  No time limit,  as long as the bad guys are down, good guys are up, and you didn't expose yourself long enough to be shot.  Then, there is a brief talk as the targets are checked, as to how to maybe better the next run through.  Also, for those who have never used frangible rounds, I will show you the fun of hitting steel plates (or even missing them) at ranges of 1 foot, WITH NO DANGERS!!!!!!  real fun.

As for ammo?  The more you bring, the more you shoot.  Each run, will take 12-20 shots, depending on your accuracy.  You can always take home, what you dont use.

As mentioned before as well, LMI offers defensive courses in CQC/Knife, Shotgun, Pistol, and I will be offering carbine this Spring.  And I can emphasize enough, that the training is pure defensive,  no competition type shooting.  Edward just went through the Basic and the Advanced Pistol course, shot almost 3000 rounds, and,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll let him give you the AAR,  So anyone interested, please let me know.  Training is in ALL Weather.  Today was day two of the Advanced course,  in the snow, freezing rain and the MUD,  Great Training,,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm...if there are at least 6 g/f  and wives around in this area, maybe we can get a female shootoff/competition going....along with some of the defensive training classes you all are so into...or do you all already do this?
By the way...congradulations on the baby....do you know what #2 is going to be? (besides one of the generation's best shooters?   )

Annieo, I think you are onto something here!
Thanks about the baby, we decided again, not to find out what gender, figuring it to be one of the few surprises left in life that are considered "good".
I've already built a rifle for my daughter (she's not quite 2).

Ron, thanks for the info on how much ammo to bring and what to expect at the event.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#35]
No problem LuvBUSHmaster,  The shoots are great fun, realistic, and, did I say fun!!  If there are alot of shooters, there are fewer shoots,,  less shooters? more shoots.  When the league starts and continues, it would run 2-3 hours,,  so each hour you could shoot, or you could shoot for all three hours!!!  When going through the runs, each time it will change.  Targets will change, as well as there weapon, or should I say, lack of weapon, so each time through, you will need to assess the situation, and determine what needs to be done,,,  

The more interested, the better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#36]
No pistol or shotgun, so no shooting for me. As far as my plans for this weekend, I will definately show up to watch. I'd like to see what this is all about.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]
HI PVC1984.

It is our hope to be having these shoots, that also involve the rifle (AR15) or ???, this way, we can offer this to anyone looking for continual defensive training.

It is also our hope, to offer CQC (Close Quarters Combat), and Defensive Knife, if there is enough interested, on a monthly basis or ??, as chances are, you will not have the opportunity to draw or get to your primary weapon, without having to attack back first, which will give you both time and distance, so you can get to your primary weapon.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#38]
how does this whole thing work? should i bring some of my own toys to play with or just bring a pistol?
My G/F likes shooting and shes acutally pritty good(kinda scary sometimes,lol) Im trying to get her to come but shes afaid to make a a$$ of her self.lol shes a good shot....aslong as nothing moving
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#39]
HI Screen Name,

Bring her,  some of the best shooters I know are ladies, (they don't have that male hollywood ego thing going),  it would be great to have some ladies involved as well.

If you want to bring some toys, feel free, however, at this time we can only shoot pistol and shotgun at this particular area of the range that we are currently reserving.  The idea of having rifles being utilized as well has been brought up, however, because of the hollidays, some of the people to make the final decisions at the club have been absent, so I am just waiting a final decision, so we can shoot rifles in the same type senarios.  

Edward brought some toys last Sunday to show and tell.  Some real sweet ones too, with lasers and a night vision PVS14 (I think that was the number).

Basically, we are trying to get a meet and greet thing, were local guys who are interested in participating in a New Defensive league, gets together, meet and talk with each other, shoot a few rounds so they can see what  the whole thing will be about, throw some ideas around on how to make it the best experiences possible, and go from there.  Very informal, we just need to get it started.  

There are so many people in the area that want something like this, and this is a great opportunity and time to start it.  When it starts, officially, it will be every Sunday, rain or snow, or shine, and will be a great way to maintain old skills, and learn new ones..  The range is OUTSIDE, so dress appropriately.  There is a shelter area as well, right next to the range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:

My G/F likes shooting and shes acutally pritty good(kinda scary sometimes,lol) Im trying to get her to come but shes afaid to make a a$$ of her self.lol shes a good shot....aslong as nothing movingher
You all said it is about 1 hour from Syracuse?  Is that correct?
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My G/F likes shooting and shes acutally pritty good(kinda scary sometimes,lol) Im trying to get her to come but shes afaid to make a a$$ of her self.lol shes a good shot....aslong as nothing moving

Tell her if she will go, I will do my best to convince adk1 to go too.  If he goes, then I will be there...making an a$$of myself right along with her....lol

You all said it is about 1 hour from Syracuse?  Is that correct?

It's about an hour from SU. If you mapquest it you should be able to get a better estimate.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Ron,

Like I said before, I will be there this weekend. Is there any chance that I could bring my brother along and/or a friend from work? They are interested in something like this as well, but they aren't members on ARFCOM. They are old enough, my brother is 21 and the guy at work is about 34. I would like you to educate my friend from work because he swears up and down that birdshot is a very effective self defense round.

Thanks,
Paul
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Ron,

Like I said before, I will be there this weekend. Is there any chance that I could bring my brother along and/or a friend from work? They are interested in something like this as well, but they aren't members on ARFCOM. They are old enough, my brother is 21 and the guy at work is about 34. I would like you to educate my friend from work because he swears up and down that birdshot is a very effective self defense round.

Thanks,
Paul

Have Ron show you the piece of 1/4" plywood that was shot w/ buckshot from 15ft while your there, that should change your friend's mind.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Also, with the wood vs bird shot,,,  the wad itself did much more damage than the bb's.  On the wood above, not a single bb penatrated, however, where the wad hit, left an indent, and broke the wood in the back of the board.   The wad is the reason there is a hole in the perfed wood picture above as well.

Sunday is on.  Hope to see you guys out there.

If you need a map, here is the clubs website: Canandaigua Sportsmens Club
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#47]
DIDDO,,,,,,,,,,

If this storm is still in place Saturday afternoon,  SUNDAY WILL BE CANCELLED!!!!.

Should the weather stay as predicted, we are expected a 'Blizzard' for Sunday, especially for the areas south of Rochester.

It would make no sense for those driving an hour or so, to be placed in any sort of dangers, for something that we can always reschedule.

Should it be cancelled, we will reschedule for the first part of January,,  and everyone stays safe,..........  

So please refer back to this thread for updates.

Link Posted: 12/14/2007 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#48]
The latest is 16-20 inches,,,
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I just saw the news on Channel 8. I live less than 5 minutes from your range. I didn't really realize how close I was until I drove by it the other day. If you ever need help setting up or anything, let me know.

I really look forward to getting these shoots in full swing. Damned NY weather.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've cancelled my trip to PA this weekend so if the shoot is on this weekend I'll be there.

PVC1984,

I'm also about 5 minutes away, it's great having regular events so close
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top