BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Governor Kaine Declares State of Emergency
– Authorizes state agencies to prepare for potential effects of Tropical Storm Hanna –

RICHMOND, Va. — Governor Timothy M. Kaine declared a state of emergency today, directing state agencies to take all reasonable actions necessary to protect the health and safety of Virginians from the potentially damaging effects of Tropical Storm Hanna.

"Current forecasts predict Hanna will bring tropical storm force winds to Virginia, causing coastal flooding and the very real possibility of tornadoes and power outages," Governor Kaine said. "Virginians should listen to their local government representatives and local news media for instructions for the duration of the storm."

In declaring a state of emergency, the governor authorizes state agencies to identify and preposition resources for quick response anywhere they are needed in Virginia. The Virginia Department of Emergency Management has staffed the Virginia Emergency Operations Center with response team members from several state agencies and other affiliated organizations. In addition, the Virginia State Police, Virginia National Guard and Virginia Department of Transportation have additional personnel on standby to respond to areas in the storm's path.

More information about what Virginia is doing to prepare for Tropical Storm Hanna is available at www.vaemergency.com. Detailed information about how Virginians can stay safe during an emergency is available at www.ReadyVirginia.gov and www.ListoVirginia.gov.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not very much.
Localized damage.

Agnes hit the NoVA area pretty badly, including draining Lake Barcroft when they could not dump enough water over fast enough.

The Virginia coasts are as vulnerable as any coast, though even then the distance from the warm water areas that 'feed' the storms is pretty good.

Visit parts of Florida or the gulf Coast that get hammered by full strength hurricanes coming ashore and Virginia's damage looks pretty mild.
Not trying to compare damage in the Gulf coast to what could be experienced here in Virginia, just pointing out that "just a depression" or "just a tropical storm" isn't a very good mindset as loss of life and property can occur just as easily here in Virginia as else where.

And you could get hit by lightning during one of NoVA's common August thunderstorms.
Depressions and tropical storms rarely do large area significant damage.

If you live in low lying areas you run the risk of flooding even from a heavy slow moving thunderstorm.

It is a matter of degree and risk.

Outside of the coasts Virginia is pretty low risk.

We have had a couple earthquakes in the past few years also.

I no not worry much about those either.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It's funny watching the sheeple prepare.
I stopped by Walmart today after work. It was packed and hardly any canned soup or bottled on the shelves.

I laugh as I have a few cases of MREs, ramen noodles and SPAM on standby
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's funny watching the sheeple prepare.
I stopped by Walmart today after work. It was packed and hardly any canned soup or bottled on the shelves.

I laugh as I have a few cases of MREs, ramen noodles and SPAM on standby

Yep wife went to BJs tonight a got our requred 3 gallons of milk for the weekend.   I will be mowing the yard tomorrow and digging a drainage ditch for all the water.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not very much.
Localized damage.

Agnes hit the NoVA area pretty badly, including draining Lake Barcroft when they could not dump enough water over fast enough.

The Virginia coasts are as vulnerable as any coast, though even then the distance from the warm water areas that 'feed' the storms is pretty good.

Visit parts of Florida or the gulf Coast that get hammered by full strength hurricanes coming ashore and Virginia's damage looks pretty mild.
Not trying to compare damage in the Gulf coast to what could be experienced here in Virginia, just pointing out that "just a depression" or "just a tropical storm" isn't a very good mindset as loss of life and property can occur just as easily here in Virginia as else where.

And you could get hit by lightning during one of NoVA's common August thunderstorms.

If you live in low lying areas you run the risk of flooding even from a heavy slow moving thunderstorm.

Then suit yourself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not very much.
Localized damage.

Then suit yourself.

And I do not run out to get milk, bread, peanut butter, and toilet paper every time a major snow storm is called for.

It is a major joke that these products are cleaned out at all the grocery stores before every NoVA snow storm.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Went to the store today to stock up, or should I say replenish certain supplies, ( camping trip last weekend). No major panic buying that I could see, East End of Richmond. The only thing I did out of the ordinary was fill up a couple of gas cans for the generator and go by the ABC store.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yep wife went to BJs tonight a got our requred 3 gallons of milk for the weekend.   I will be mowing the yard tomorrow and digging a drainage ditch for all the water.    

Me too... Yard mowed yesterday. Left the blower work for the storm...
Gotta shovel out some dirt and debris from the drainage ditch still...

As for preps, I have food reserves for over 6 months and gas for several weeks of genny service. But I doubt c'ville will have much to worry about...

I guess all those years in South Florida taught me a thing or two...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
How well prepared are you guys at work? Does you company have a plans in place?

Today was a complete cluster fuck at work. For a company with 4000 employees nation wide our plan to run payroll next week if power is out at the office is to have the 3 payroll people do it from home. No transfer of responsibilites to another office, no back up generator.

I had to scramble to get laptops ready to the payroll team so they might have be able to work from home(If power is out at the office I bet it will be at home)

I'm not expeciting another isabel here but it is pretty pathetic the lack of planing given the size of the company. If there were a real major disaster in Norfolk it would be game over for the entire organization.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
We finished buttoning up the ship in dry dock today.  At lunch my XO asked if I  did anything special at home to prepare.  I replied;

" Not much.  I've got the kids loading some magazines but other than that..."
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Trio - have no fear...race is postponed...they didn't wait til the last minute.  Now you can go down Sunday and watch 2 races in same day!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Then suit yourself.

What are you some kind of Dutch Uncle or something? Each person has their own comfort level with their state of preparedness that will govern what he/she will do and how he/she will prepare, not some gas bag giving Va storm history lectures.

Your mindset seems to be to browbeat those who disagree with you. Take care of your own patch of dirt. Stand down, you are tying up bandwidth not to mention being overbearing....as you usually are.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then suit yourself.

What are you some kind of Dutch Uncle or something? Each person has their own comfort level with their state of preparedness that will govern what he/she will do and how he/she will prepare, not some gas bag giving Va storm history lectures.

Your mindset seems to be to browbeat those who disagree with you. Take care of your own patch of dirt. Stand down, you are tying up bandwidth not to mention being overbearing....as you usually are.  

What the hell? I started a thread to let others know that a storm is coming and make sure you have everything you need, just in case of a worst case scenario when another poster starts acting as if Virginia has nothing to worry about.  If he wants to "take care of his own patch of dirt" fine!

Thanks for contributing to this thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Table for two!

Saucer of milk, please!

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Table for two!

Saucer of milk, please!

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Looks like Hanna has given my house a small black eye. Upstairs living room ceiling now has a 3ft long crack with a drip of water coming through.

Can anyone recommend a good roof contractor to get estimates from?

I'm off of Edsall road in Alexandria, FFX County.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#17]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N91XsdrBqUY

For your sand . . .

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then suit yourself.

What the hell? I started a thread to let others know that a storm is coming and make sure you have everything you need, just in case of a worst case scenario when another poster starts acting as if Virginia has nothing to worry about.  If he wants to "take care of his own patch of dirt" fine!

Thanks for contributing to this thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for posting this, VTHS.  It helped me realize I don't watch the weather like I probably should

On a side note, I can't believe you're getting flamed for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for posting this, VTHS.  It helped me realize I don't watch the weather like I probably should

On a side note, I can't believe you're getting flamed for it.

+1

I thought school has started.

Oh, wait, it's Saturday.

Aren't there cartoons on?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top