Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
More info on the Ulster County resolution - The final vote will be on Tuesday, Feb 19th

Several articles (like this one) have made it sound as if Ulster County has already passed their resolution. Upon closer examination, this does not appear to be the case. The final vote will be on the 19th.

Ulster County - Resolution to repeal the Safe Act in NY

This article appears to be encouraging people who SUPPORT the SAFE act to attend and object to the resolution. If the article is correct, the hearing has also been moved to a venue that will accommodate more people.

In Ulster County, NY on Tuesday Feb 19th at 7P there will be a hearing on a Resolution to Repeal the Safe Act (Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013). The hearing in Ulster has been moved to the Ulster Performing Arts Center located at 601 Broadway in Kingston NY which has a 1500 seat capacity.

It sounds like our side needs a strong showing in Kingston on the 19th.

The OP will be updated to reflect this. I'm trying to keep the list as accurate as possible and apologize for any confusion regarding Ulster County.

I will phone some friends and get them moving on this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish we could add Suffolk to that list.

I'll Second That!

Nassau ans Suffolk are NYC bitch. I moved 10 years ago and have never looked back. Do the same you will have a better outlook on life. If PA ever becomes like NY I will do the same. Life is to short. The move out of NY has taught me this.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
More info on the Ulster County resolution - The final vote will be on Tuesday, Feb 19th

Several articles (like this one) have made it sound as if Ulster County has already passed their resolution. Upon closer examination, this does not appear to be the case. The final vote will be on the 19th.

This article appears to be encouraging people who SUPPORT the SAFE act to attend and object to the resolution. If the article is correct, the hearing has also been moved to a venue that will accommodate more people.

In Ulster County, NY on Tuesday Feb 19th at 7P there will be a hearing on a Resolution to Repeal the Safe Act (Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013). The hearing in Ulster has been moved to the Ulster Performing Arts Center located at 601 Broadway in Kingston NY which has a 1500 seat capacity.

The OP will be updated to reflect this. I'm trying to keep the list as accurate as possible and apologize for any confusion regarding Ulster County.

ULSTER COUNTY LEGISLATURE MOVES FEBRUARY MONTHLY SESSION TO UPAC TO ENSURE SAFE PUBLIC ACCESS AND PARTICIPATION

Link to official county notice

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ULSTER COUNTY LEGISLATURE MOVES FEBRUARY MONTHLY SESSION TO UPAC TO ENSURE SAFE PUBLIC ACCESS AND PARTICIPATION

Link to official county notice

I just heard about this on WDST 100.1 Radio Woodstock   Good music but super liberal.  There seems to be a strong opposition to the resolution.  If you guys know anyone in Ulster County, get them motivated on this.  The county is pretty divided politically having New Paltz, Woodstock, and other yuppieish towns.  No offence, here in Greene County, Whindam, Hunter and the like are getting bad.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Do we have a list of Sheriffs offices???
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Put down Dutchess county for March vote.

Please Email Rob Weiss (R), [email protected]  the sponser and thank him. Below is my letter to Weiss and members of the county legislators with Rob's response.

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Bcc: '[email protected]'
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:31 AM
Subject: anti-SAFE act resolutions

Dear Mr. Weiss and members of Dutchess County Legislators,

If the leaders of the State of New York are willing to limit the right of the free and law abiding citizens of New York to arm themselves as they see fit under the Rights enumerate to all citizens of the United State through the Second Amendment, I as with many feel as though the legislators and government entities within the State of New York should have to abide by the same restrictions.

This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms.

Are you planning any resolution for Dutchess County as many other counties have and are rightfully doing?

Thank you
Joe Blow

Re: anti-SAFE act resolutions
Rob Weiss [[email protected]]
Sent: Sat 2/16/2013 11:50 AM
To: Joe Blow <[email protected]>

Dear Joe Blow,

It is on the agenda for March.  I am the sponser and we have more than enough co-sponsers,. We have used Ulster County's resolution as a template.

I hope that answers your question.

Rob Weiss

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Flashbang1 - that's great! I'll add it to the list as soon as I can get to a computer.

Robertesq1 - I have not seen a complete list for the Sheriffs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]
So here's a list of counties by my reckoning that haven't voted or are preparing to vote to declare positions:

Columbia
Saratoga
Clinton
Essex
Franklin
Sullivan
Broome
Chemung
Steuben
Genesee
Cortland
Tompkins
Seneca
Schuyler

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Genesee county expected to vote on anti SAFENY resolution Feb. 19th legislative meeting.  

resolution has already been drawn up, and I have read it.  sounds promising to get it passed as well.  

Ill keep everyone posted
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So here's a list of counties by my reckoning that haven't voted or are preparing to vote to declare positions:

Columbia
Saratoga
Clinton
Essex
Franklin
Sullivan
Broome
Chemung
Steuben
Genesee
Cortland
Tompkins
Seneca
Schuyler

I've emailed the Broome County Legislature and requested a similar resolution against the SAFE Act. I'm still waiting to hear back, but I will post when I receive a response. Any others that reside in Broome should do the same. Here is a cold link with contact info for the BC Legislators....

http://gobroomecounty.com/legis/legislators
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Added Dutchess and Genesee counties to the list. Thank you Flashbang1 and Shott8283.

I've been trying to scan for info on the remaining counties when I have time. Some are very good about updating agenda items on their county government pages. Some are a bit behind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't see Columbia on the list

I see Columbia county on the wrong list
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Columbia
Saratoga
Clinton
Essex
Franklin
Sullivan
Broome
Chemung
Steuben
Genesee
Cortland
Tompkins
Seneca
Schuyler

I've emailed the Broome County Legislature and requested a similar resolution against the SAFE Act. I'm still waiting to hear back, but I will post when I receive a response. Any others that reside in Broome should do the same. Here is a cold link with contact info for the BC Legislators....

http://gobroomecounty.com/legis/legislators

I've got emails going out as we speak!  I want Broome on that list!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is my letter to Broome County Legislators.  Please feel free to use it as a base for your own letters and adapt it to your own county to get the word out to your representatives!

Dear County Legislator,

In the past month, the New York State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo worked under the cover of darkness to ram through new gun legislation that many find to violate both the New York State and United States Constitutions.  In the wake of this legislation being signed into law, 38 of New York's 62 counties have either passed, or are in the process of passing, a resolution calling for the repeal of the SAFE Act.  As an active voter with many like-minded friends and family members living in Broome County, I speak for all of us when I say I hope to see Broome County added to that list.  Despite what your thoughts may be on the SAFE Act itself, I urge you to support a County Resolution calling for its repeal due to the nature in which the SAFE Act was passed.  By holding a midnight vote, waiving the three day discussion period, and leaving the state legislature with as little as 15 minutes to read the bill, our governor and members of the state legislature who voted yes have circumvented the traditional lawmaking process on which our government is based.  In doing so, the people of New York, especially those who live in upstate counties such as Broome, have not been accurately represented.  I do not consider myself a single issue voter, but I cannot and will not support any candidate, either locally or nationally, who endorses or allows without challenge, midnight votes and the waiving of standard legislation procedures to pass an unfavorable and unconstitutional law.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Voter
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is my letter to Broome County Legislators.  Please feel free to use it as a base for your own letters and adapt it to your own county to get the word out to your representatives!

Dear County Legislator,

In the past month, the New York State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo worked under the cover of darkness to ram through new gun legislation that many find to violate both the New York State and United States Constitutions.  In the wake of this legislation being signed into law, 38 of New York's 62 counties have either passed, or are in the process of passing, a resolution calling for the repeal of the SAFE Act.  As an active voter with many like-minded friends and family members living in Broome County, I speak for all of us when I say I hope to see Broome County added to that list.  Despite what your thoughts may be on the SAFE Act itself, I urge you to support a County Resolution calling for its repeal due to the nature in which the SAFE Act was passed.  By holding a midnight vote, waiving the three day discussion period, and leaving the state legislature with as little as 15 minutes to read the bill, our governor and members of the state legislature who voted yes have circumvented the traditional lawmaking process on which our government is based.  In doing so, the people of New York, especially those who live in upstate counties such as Broome, have not been accurately represented.  I do not consider myself a single issue voter, but I cannot and will not support any candidate, either locally or nationally, who endorses or allows without challenge, midnight votes and the waiving of standard legislation procedures to pass an unfavorable and unconstitutional law.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Voter

Great letter!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Jefferson County is bringing it up Tuesday night. I emailed one of the legislators and thanked him for his support. He repllied thanking me for the for the kind words. He mentioned the meeting is open to the pubic and any support is welcome!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear County Legislator,

Sincerely,

A Concerned Voter

Great letter!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When did they do that? Fucking traitors.

February 11, at night: http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2013/February/12/WCBL_gunvio-12Feb13.html

Westchester lawmakers approve gun violence prevention resolution

WHITE PLAINS – The Westchester County Board of Legislators Monday night approved a resolution urging the federal government to enact stronger measures to prevent further gun violence.

Democratic Majority Leader Peter Harckham was one of the two lawmakers who crafted the legislation.

“We wanted to be mindful of both protecting the rights of lawful gun owners while making a meaningful contribution to gun violence prevention,” he said.

Harckham developed the local resolution along with Republican Minority Leader James Maisano.

The resolution supports greater federal gun control measures including mandatory background checks on all gun sales, lifting database restrictions to allow local law officers access to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives information and increased sentencing penalties for criminals convicted of using firearms during violent crimes.

The resolution calls for mental health providers to notify gun permit issuers of anyone involuntarily committed to a mental institution, or found to be a danger to themselves or others due to mental illness with all information included in a national instant check system, and also says that community-based mental health programs need increased federal funding.

The Westchester bill was approved unanimously.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#20]
We are literally under attack. This is nuts. God help us if the courts screw us over too. I just don't understand how these politicians get away scott-free without any consequences when they violate their oath of office
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Not surprising, coming from Westchester.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#22]

St Lawrence County will be introducing their resolution this Tuesday, 2/19/13.

St. Lawrence County to hold public forum on NY SAFE Act gun control law

" The St. Lawrence County legislature is holding a public forum on Tuesday, Feb 19, at 5:30pm on a resolution opposing the NY SAFE Act gun control law.

According to an email campaign initiated today by County Legislator Dan Parker, "a resolution opposing the NY SAFE Act will be introduced and debated. Please come, bring your friends, and speak in support of this resolution. Without public support, it is not certain to receive enough votes to pass and be sent to the governor and the legislature. The St. Lawrence County Board of Legislators meets in the court house, 48 Court Street, Canton."
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear County Legislator,

Sincerely,

A Concerned Voter

Great letter!

Agreed....awesome letter. We need more like this. I'd love to see Broome on the anti-SAFE act resolution list. There will be a BC Legislature meeting this Thursday, February 21st at 5PM on the 6th floor of the Broome Co. Office Building. I will try to make it, but it might not work out. Hopefully there will be others in attendance .
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I heard this week Orleans County also joined the list - I don't have confirmation though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I heard this week Orleans County also joined the list - I don't have confirmation though.

It's on there.

Orleans Legislature joins in opposition to state's new gun law

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
That map from page four would look great in the OP!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can put it there, but I don't want to do so without permission from evileyeswatchin. Plus the resolution list changes just about every day, so the map isn't up to date. It is cool to look at though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#28]
What bothers me is that if half of the counties in New York voted a for a resolution to repeal the safe act then why are the senators not representing their constituents?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What bothers me is that if half of the counties in New York voted a for a resolution to repeal the safe act then why are the senators not representing their constituents?

They don't call it the most dysfunctional legislature in the nation for nothing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Most of them did. But over half the senate represents NYC. Ontario county has 2 senators, Brooklyn has 9.

We should just be creating a separate state.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:15:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of them did. But over half the senate represents NYC. Ontario county has 2 senators, Brooklyn has 9.

Wouldfn't that be nice
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is a Buffalo news article outlining Niagara Counties SAFE law repeal resolution.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#33]
It looks like this will be a big week for anti-SAFE action!

Erie, Ulster, Niagara, Greene, Rockland, Chautauqua, Genesee, St. Lawrence, and possibly Wayne will all be discussing or voting on resolutions this week.

Best of luck to all whose counties will be voting. Make an effort to attend these meetings if you can. A room full of spectators sends a strong message of public support.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#34]
sent letters and emails to Monroe County exec and sherriff.  won't hold my breath tho.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can put it there, but I don't want to do so without permission from evileyeswatchin. Plus the resolution list changes just about every day, so the map isn't up to date. It is cool to look at though.

Updated use away,

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Good start, needs moar. Let's keep up the emails and phone calls guy and gals!
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Updated use away,

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/evileyeswatchin/Un-SafeAct_zpsd1ec6353.jpg

what the heck southern tier, I figured they would be the first to oppose this law.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#38]
What is taking Steuben so long?  Their Sheriff's department was one of the first to come out against SAFE.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

what the heck southern tier, I figured they would be the first to oppose this law.

At least Tioga County (which is where I live) is already on the list, so its a start.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Updated use away,

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/evileyeswatchin/Un-SafeAct_zpsd1ec6353.jpg

They're probably afraid King Cuomo will punish with the hydro fracking issue
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#41]
a lot of welfare fudds in the southern tier.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Updated use away,

Map is in the OP. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Whats up with my home, Schuyler County not to mention the neighboring counties consisting of the Southern Tier?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Whats up with my home, Schuyler County not to mention the neighboring counties consisting of the Southern Tier?

That area around Cornell/Ithaca does tend to be a bit crunchy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Cortland County has been added to the list. They have drafted a resolution to be discussed this week.

Cortland County Calling On State To Revise Or Throw Out SAFE Act
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Chemung is considering a resolution.

wetm Facebook
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Chemung is considering a resolution.

wetm Facebook

Outstanding! Direct link here.

That pushes the total count up to 40 counties that are taking action!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Add Seneca County, voting tonight.
here
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Add Seneca County, voting tonight.
here

That's Seneca Town in Ontario County. I'm waiting for Seneca County to follow the examples set by their neighbors, but unfortunately I have yet to see anything from them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldfn't that be nice

I'll just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeling_Convention

<- Buffalo, NY born.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top