Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2003 6:40:53 AM EDT
Go Dems...go, go, go and keep going. When you reach the Pacific Ocean, stop....and stay. California is a good place to stay for a bunch of crybaby liberals.

You know, if I left my job I would be fired.  Something needs to be done to stop this dangerous precedent.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/keye/20030729/lo_keye/democratsboycotttexassenatechamberadjourns
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]

So running away is one way to serve the public, heh?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Not this shit again ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder why we haven't just claimed the TX Democrats have renounced their Legislative duties since they cannot seem to show up for work...

I hope this time they actually stick to it and press charges and civil suits against each one, unlike last time where some agencies destroyed evidence they gathered.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not this shit again ?

Same shit...just the senate this time vs the house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
SO what is the 2nd amendment for again???  GO there and take them back at gunpoint!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe if those damn Republicans wold come up with a redistricting plan that wasn't absurdly gerrymandered they'd get more cooperation from the Dems.  As it is, I think they're doing exactly the right thing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#7]
i say we fire them.  i know if i dont show for work, i get fired. why not them.      

kalifornia is recalling davis...is it possable to recall these guys too?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Why fire them?  They're doing the job that the voters in their districts sent them there to do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why fire them?  They're doing the job that the voters in their districts sent them there to do.

What's that ? Leaving and not doing their job?
Storming out like pussies in protest ? Like a book drop
that we as high school seniors use to do?
They are not paid to split every time they get their panties in a wad!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]

First, it was in OK.
 Now, it's in NM.
 Next, Bahamas,  courtesy of TX taxpayers' $$$.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What's that ? Leaving and not doing their job?
Storming out like pussies in protest ? Like a book drop
that we as high school seniors use to do?
They are not paid to split every time they get their panties in a wad!

No, they're doing their best to keep the opposition from screwing their consitiutients.  It's no different from a filibuster.  They ARE doing their job.

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

First, it was in OK.
 Now, it's in NM.

If you're so concerned for Texas taxpayers, why aren't you bitching about Rick Perry calling a second special session to try to ram through an unnecessary and unfair redistricting bill?  

This could have all been avoided if the Repubs either (1) came up with a compromise bill that the Dems could live with or (2) left things the way they were.  Either way Gov. Rick could have saved the taxpayers the costs of the special sessions.

BTW--The taxpayers won't be paying for their trips to New Mexico.  They get to pay for that out of their own pockets.  Maybe they can use some of their whopping $7,200 per year government salaries to cover the bills.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wonder why we haven't just claimed the TX Democrats have renounced their Legislative duties since they cannot seem to show up for work...

I hope this time they actually stick to it and press charges and civil suits against each one, unlike last time where some agencies destroyed evidence they gathered.

The reason they weren't charged with any crimes last time is because they broke no law.  What they did was 100% legal.  

The reason some agencies destroyed evidence last time around is because using federal "Homeland Security" resources to track them down was an abuse of power that needed covering up.  

There was no way that evidence could have been used against the Dems because the Dems weren't doing anything illegal.  The only ones who had anything to gain from its destruction are the ones who were doing the destroying.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
John I have never said this to anyone on this board, but did you get lost? Are you sure that you are on the right board?
1. Republicans have been screwed over in redistricting for 130 years....they never ran, they took the worst plan to the supremes.
2. gerrymandering---how is it gerrymandering when they want to change the map to reflect the last election...the same thing that the dems have done for over 100 years?
3. compromise....uh no.....
4. There job is to be in austin..period, if you don't like the plan vote against it..if you lose take it to court..but show up to work.
5. they are going to costs the state over 80 million dollars on another matter which is on the table also.
6. Illegal..yep sure is and if the Sergeant at arms thought that the governor of NM would approve, they would be extradited this week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, it was in OK.
 Now, it's in NM.

If you're so concerned for Texas taxpayers, why aren't you bitching about Rick Perry calling a second special session to try to ram through an unnecessary and unfair redistricting bill?  

This could have all been avoided if the Repubs either (1) came up with a compromise bill that the Dems could live with or (2) left things the way they were.  Either way Gov. Rick could have saved the taxpayers the costs of the special sessions.

BTW--The taxpayers won't be paying for their trips to New Mexico.  They get to pay for that out of their own pockets.  Maybe they can use some of their whopping $7,200 per year government salaries to cover the bills.

Well, then it was a dumb thing for him to do with Tx taxpayers' $$.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
John I have never said this to anyone on this board, but did you get lost? Are you sure that you are on the right board?

I thought this was a gun board.  I didn't know it was a kiss-republican-ass board.

1. Republicans have been screwed over in redistricting for 130 years....they never ran, they took the worst plan to the supremes.

BFD.  Now that they're in charge, I'd prefer that they do the right thing.  That's what I expected when I voted for them.  I don't think I'll be voting Republican again in a statewide race.  Which is sort of ironic, given the fact that I'm a Republican precinct chairman.

2. gerrymandering---how is it gerrymandering when they want to change the map to reflect the last election...the same thing that the dems have done for over 100 years?

How is it gerrymandering?  Are you serious?  Have you looked at the map they drew?  It's got nothing to do with changing the map "to reflect the last election."  It's all about getting the maximum number of Republicans elected at any cost.  And in the process, they're depriving large parts of the state of any meaningful say in who their representatives are.  Like all of East Texas, for instance.  It's all going to be drowned out by Houston and Dallas suburbs--which somehow end up in the same districts as places like Beaumont or Lufkin.

You know-- reasonably compact districts where the people in them have something in common.  If they hadn't gone to such absurd extremes, there wouldn'y have been any real problem.  But since the Repubs went off the deep end with their redistricting plan, they didn't leave the Dems much choice.  

4. There job is to be in austin..period, if you don't like the plan vote against it..if you lose take it to court..but show up to work.

Their job is to represent their constitutents, period.  If that means leaving town and "shutting down the government," they're doing their job.  (Hey, remember Newt?)

5. they are going to costs the state over 80 million dollars on another matter which is on the table also.

The regular session is over.  Their business in done.  You know, the Texas Constitution only has the legislature meet once every two years for a reason.  It's to keep them from legislating.  This special session bullshit to try to push through things that didn't pass in the regular session is the problem.  Not the Dems leaving town.

6. Illegal..yep sure is and if the Sergeant at arms thought that the governor of NM would approve, they would be extradited this week.

No, it's not illegal.  Trust me, I'm a lawyer.  And if the Governor of New Mexico tried to "extradite" them, he'd be in some pretty big trouble, because he has no legal right or aurhtority to do it.  They are not wanted for any crime in Texas and have not violated any New Mexico law.  People have Constitutional rights, you know.  Ever heard of the Fourth Amendment?  The Fourteenth?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
every heard of the 2nd?  oh.....sorry...got off topic....

The Dems pulled this crap during the regular session recently, correct?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No, it's not illegal.  Trust me, I'm a lawyer.  And if the Governor of New Mexico tried to "extradite" them, he'd be in some pretty big trouble, because he has no legal right or aurhtority to do it.  They are not wanted for any crime in Texas and have not violated any New Mexico law.  People have Constitutional rights, you know.  Ever heard of the Fourth Amendment?  The Fourteenth?

Riiight!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trust me, I'm a lawyer.  

Riiight!

It's a, I say it's a joke son. Don't cha get it? You're built too short, the good ones go over yer head. Ya got a hole in yer glove, boy, I keep pitching them and you keep missing them. Ya gotta keep yer eye on the ball, son. Eye. Ball. Eyeball. I almost had a funny there. Joke, that is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Their job is to represent their constitutents, period.  

I disagree.  
 Their job is to further their own political career.  How many politicians have the best interest of the common men/women?  I dare to say:  Not many.  
 In the local or maybe state level--maybe.  
 National level?  Forget it.

If that means leaving town and "shutting down the government," they're doing their job.  (Hey, remember Newt?)  

'Shutting down the govt'  is not doing their job, therefore either directly or indirectly wasting TX taxpayers' $$.  They can be at the session and do whatever they want to do, but 'shutting down the govt' is a wrong message to send to the people.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Very well said Hound, and much more polite than I would have put it.

The redistricting is to represent the POPULATION.  Can I help it if no one wants to live in BFE?

John, who got ahold of your account, surly you can't be that confused?

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I thought this was a gun board.  I didn't know it was a kiss-republican-a-- board.

Yes, yes, but THE DEMOCRATS WANT TO TAKE THE GUNS! Sure, there may be some who aren't completely anti, but on the whole, it's a major party line.

Foul language edited out of quoted post.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Back to you john..this is a kiss ass republican board and I constatntly get in trouble for taking the republicans down a few notches...but you are so far out there....
1. I think the dnc has a place for you
2.Gerrymandering is the "usual wat to do this" Dems did it for over a century..the map is stupid and the maps always are. What is this depriving crap, who have you been talking to? Hillary? Don't they get a vote? aren't there going to be other persons on the ballot?
3. redistricting...they are changing the districts to reflect the last election..overwhelmingly republican...and the republicans could be giving themselves 4 or 5 more districts and still reflect the voters.
4,5,6 Obviously there are sthings you do not know about the elected representatives, like the special status they have when they are supposed to be in session. This equates to a responsibility to be there and the sergeant of arms can compel them to be there...that is why they left the state...duh.
I dislike reps almost as much as dems, but you got some wires crossed somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Suppose a bunch of New Jersey-style Dems somehow got themselves elected in Texas and were all set to pass all kinds of "common sense" gun control stuff.  For the children. of course.  Would ANYONE around here criticize Reboblican legislators if they high-tailed it over to Arizona to keep the Dems from having their way?  Would we hear any complaints about wasting the taxpayers $$$?  Would anyone say they're not doing their jobs?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Very well said Hound, and much more polite than I would have put it.

The redistricting is to represent the POPULATION.  Can I help it if no one wants to live in BFE?

John, who got ahold of your account, surly you can't be that confused?

TXLEWIS

The redistricting is NOT to represent the population.  The redistricting is to create as many republican-majority districts as possible.  And that means carving up areas like East Texas and tying them to big city suburbs.  And it means that areas like East Texas--or rural Texas in general--lose all their voice in government.

And the problem isn't that no one wants to live in BFE.  There are more than enough people in East Texas for a couple or three congressional districts that don't come anywhere near Houston or Dallas.

And so what if they elect Dems?  It's not the rural Dems who vote agasinst gun rights; it's those big city Dems like Jackson-Lee and Doggett that you have to worry about.  And you can bet that their districts will be protected.  

If our fearless legislators had any balls at all or if they really cared about our Second Amendment rights, they'd carve up GOA F- districts and attach them to GOP suburbs.  Don't hold your breath, though.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#27]
And for anyone who thinks this is about making adjustments for population changes, compare the current map with the plan they were trying to push through.  I especially like the way the 1st District is mainly on the Louisiana border, but squeezes between the 8th and 9th so they can get those Woodlands votes and the way the 15th District would strech from Austin to the Mexican border.

But how is that gerrymandering?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Suppose a bunch of New Jersey-style Dems somehow got themselves elected in Texas and were all set to pass all kinds of "common sense" gun control stuff.  For the children. of course.  Would ANYONE around here criticize Reboblican legislators if they high-tailed it over to Arizona to keep the Dems from having their way? Would we hear any complaints about wasting the taxpayers $$$?  Would anyone say they're not doing their jobs?

I don't know about other members, but: "Damn straight.  I would complain."  You stay there and deal with this face-to-face, instead running like cowards.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't know about other members, but: "Damn straight.  I would complain."  You stay there and deal with this face-to-face, instead running like cowards.

Better to bend over and "take it like a man" eh?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better to bend over and "take it like a man" eh?

If it's me.  I rather "find a better way to fight than 'bend over' or run".
 So it means you will either run or 'bend over' as you suggested , right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Them's the only choices.  They've got you outvoted, and if they're allowed to hold the vote, you lose.  So waddaya do?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Them's the only choices.  They've got you outvoted, and if they're allowed to hold the vote, you lose.  So waddaya do?

Maybe the ass wiping communists should run to OLD MEXICO next time, and STAY there.

"WE can't beat you in a fair Vote", so we are not going to play" Sounds like kindergarten politics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

OK, John.  Explain me this and educate me, and I mean it in a honest way.  Why doesn't this "run-so-we-don't-get-our-ass-kicked" happen
at national level?  Those guys take like a man, right, either Dem or Rep party, or they find a way to stop a bleeding one way or another.

TX Dem had the majority for a while, and you don't see Republicans running away.  Now Rep has
their time in the sun, and these Dem can't handle it, so running like coward is the only option.

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
 OK, John.  Explain me this and educate me, and I mean it in a honest way.  Why doesn't this "run-so-we-don't-get-our-ass-kicked" happen
at national level?  Those guys take like a man, right, either Dem or Rep party, or they find a way to stop a bleeding one way or another.

That's an easy one.

Texas Constitution (Art. 3 sec. 10): "Two-thirds of each House shall constitute a quorum to do business...."

U.S. Constitution (Art. I sec 5):  "[A] majority of each House shall constitute a quorum to do business...."

In Congress, if you have the votes to pass it, you also have enough for a quorum.  That's why they have to make due with a filibuster.  Think of the Dems' hide-and-seek games as a sort of filibuster.  Just not so long-winded.

Our Texas Constitution was drafted after carpet-bagging Yankee Republicans had a few years to screw people around.  It's like Mark Tawin is said to have said: "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session."  So they wrote the constitution to make it hard for the government to get things done.  That's the way it's supposed to be in Texas.

TX Dem had the majority for a while, and you don't see Republicans running away.  Now Rep has
their time in the sun, and these Dem can't handle it, so running like coward is the only option.

Texas Democrats have traditionally been a pretty conservative bunch.  You know, like Phil Gramm.  Republicans didn't "run away" when the Dems were in control.  They just ran as Dems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Dammit.  I wasted my 800th post defending Democrats.  I've got to find something better to do with my time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Top of the page...you stepped in it again. According to the last election--republicans should have 24 or 25 districts---numbers may not be exact. But they are taking a map that would give them 4 or 5 less than that. Maybe you ought to argue that this not don't reflect the voters and leave this unrepresented crap alone. And exactly why are you rpotecting the dems? You got a secret we should know about?
Are you a RINO?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Not to pick nits here, but a presidential election doesn't determine how congressional districts should be divvied up.  And it means even less when the candidate is the home town favorite.  And it means less still when you consider that some of those "Democratic" districts are represented by folks like Ralph Hall (God belss him) who are DINOs.

So lemme ask you this--  if the the Republicans really have all that support, why do they have to stoop to this ridiculous gerrymandering?  Why not reasonably compact districts that allow people with similar local interests to pick their own reprsentatives?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

In Congress, if you have the votes to pass it, you also have enough for a quorum.  That's why they have to make due with a filibuster.  

Correct.  Face-to-face and fight like a man, instead of running like they have no balls.

Them's the only choices. They've got you outvoted, and if they're allowed to hold the vote, you lose. So waddaya do?    

OK. What would you do?

Off topic:  my new-found word:
 Run away = Run like TX Dems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Are you a RINO?

Not at all.  I've had all I can take of the Republican party, and I have no desire to be associated with it name or in any other way.  They've proven themselves to be whores for big business and insurance interests with strong imperailist leanings.  They're almost as bad as the Democrats.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#40]
John, you are slamming the republicans for doing something that the dems have been doing for over 130 years. The dems need to get in the game and play ball just like the reps have for all that time. Your talk of disenfranchisement and not representing the people is just the kind of political gobble de gook that led us to this point in the first place. Start at the top of the state and divide the state by counties until you get the number of districts BY population that you need. Quit all this funny line drawing and quit playing screw your buddy.And your last statement of similar interests and such sounds awfully like rascism or elitism. We are all people, we all have the SAME damn interests. I don't care if we are highland park white, cedar hill black or irving tejano. We all have the same interests and we should all have two reasonably qualified people to vote for.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Well John maybe we do agree and you just said enough political double speak to push my bullshit meter. I keep telling one of my friends when she listens to the news to much...that ain't reality. The truth is neither side wants an honest election and neither side wants the other to have any freebies.....screw them all. Maybe we could get all of them to go to NM....except for Ron Paul....
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Them's the only choices. They've got you outvoted, and if they're allowed to hold the vote, you lose. So waddaya do?    

OK. What would you do?

Let's see--stick around and get a**-f***ed, or shut down the whole process?  Hmm....

You seem to be working under the false premise that you can stick around and fight it.  You can't.  It's over the minute you walk in the door.  

I think I'd have to fight it the only way I'd stand any chance of winning.  If that means sitting out the rest of the session in an Albuquerque Best Western, so be it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Maybe we could get all of them to go to NM....except for Ron Paul....

I think I could live with that.  Could he maybe take over Mr. Bush's job?

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
John, you are slamming the republicans for doing something that the dems have been doing for over 130 years. The dems need to get in the game and play ball just like the reps have for all that time. Your talk of disenfranchisement and not representing the people is just the kind of political gobble de gook that led us to this point in the first place. Start at the top of the state and divide the state by counties until you get the number of districts BY population that you need. Quit all this funny line drawing and quit playing screw your buddy.And your last statement of similar interests and such sounds awfully like rascism or elitism. We are all people, we all have the SAME damn interests. I don't care if we are highland park white, cedar hill black or irving tejano. We all have the same interests and we should all have two reasonably qualified people to vote for.

Well said, hound.  Why don't you run--for state, that is, NOT as run like TX Dems?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Good one Mojo!
Run FOR State instead of AWAY FROM State!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said, hound.  Why don't you run--for state, that is, NOT as run like TX Dems?hr
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#46]
John that would be a dream come true....Mojo..I think that the time for our generation to make a difference politically is over. I think instead we will be using the fourth box.....soap ballot jury cartridge......maybe not, but I recently finished Unintended Consequences. So I will practice my marksmanship and keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
And your last statement of similar interests and such sounds awfully like rascism or elitism. We are all people, we all have the SAME damn interests. I don't care if we are highland park white, cedar hill black or irving tejano. We all have the same interests and we should all have two reasonably qualified people to vote for.

That's just the problem.  We DON'T have the same interests.  Different people want differnt things from their governments.  For instance, there is no way in hell I share ANY interests with Shelia Jackson-Lee or her supporters.

It also makes a difference where your representative comes from.  Personally, I'd prefer that the government would go away and leave me (and my money) alone.  But we all know that they're not going to do that.  Which means that you need someone in Congress who's looking after your interests.  And that's why we have congressional districts in the first place rahter than statewide election of representatives.  They're supposed to represent the home folks.

If you live in East Texas but your Representative comes from and gets the bulk of his support from suburban Houston, they're the one who are going to have their interests looked after, and the rest of the district--BFE as far as he's concerned--get's shortchanged.  

So, for example, you end up with a Congressman who supposedly represents Beaumont pushing for that next shipment of military hardware to be sent via the Port of Houston rather than the Port of Beaumont (which isn't even in his district, afterall).  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Well with the Dumacrat map as it is now my rep's live 60-80 miles away and they never care about what happens to us Republicans anyway.

It is always about getting their "Entitlements"!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#49]
BTW--  I'm really just a from DU trying to get my post count up over 1000 so y'all will take mer seriously whe I say guns are bad.

Guns are bad.  Mmmkay?
You shouldn't own guns because if you own them you're bad, because guns are bad, mmmkay?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh that's it..you expect government to look after your interests!!! Duh! Do you really believe that or is this just a party affiliation thing. My interest would be well served in your example for the shipper to do business where he wants, with the best price he can get....see no government involvement..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top