Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
My prayers are with you buddy. Look to God to heal all wounds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT.... ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED? LET ME KNOW.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering if there was anything in particular that we would want to cover in the meetings/training sessions. So far, this is what I have covered.

Land Navigation
Communications
Pistol/Rifle Marksmanship
First Aid/Field Medicine
Makeshift Shelters
Escape & Evasion
Bug Out Bag Packing
Equipment Testing(For those who have the money)
Field Cooking/living
Moving in Squad Size elements

The items I have in Red are the most important(imho only) items we'll cover... is there ANYTHING else you'd like to see on this list? Let me know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Mods...can we get a tack? If we could, that would be great... if not, PM me with why... thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
No new topics? Okay... I'm gonna start with the synopsis. I'll PM it to the interested ones... PM me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Just keep me posted of what is happening.  I'm still in
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool. I'm still waiting on info from CAR-15... but he has other things he NEEDS to deal with. I just got a PM of someone my age that's interested. I still have you and M4M on my list. I'll be in touch.

SW1
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#8]
One more thing we may want to add to the list of the subjects is Trapping/field prep of game something along those lines.  Another is improvised shelter, I think these would be good to know, incase you found yourself on vacation for example and are hit by some natural disaster.  Or traveling west during the winter etc...   Water procurement is a good subject.  I just brought these up because I have thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Those are going to be covered under the basic survival materials... because those are MUST have skills
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Agreed
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay gents... I have some manuals that I would like to share.. but I need to have addresses. These are manuals we're going to be studying and reading out of. They're all in PDF format. Let me know by PM.
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Are going to send these snail mail, ZIP via E-mail.
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Got yours rynich... Expect it on the way soon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes... I should have been more specific. I need SNAIL MAIL addresses to mail these. They will come on a pocket CD-R. Snail mail address to PM, please. Thanks.

SW1
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:57:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Got you M4M... Still waiting on CAR15 and a couple others
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
SW1,
I may have missed it earlier in this thread but where in Indiana are you?  I don't want your exact address just a general idea of location.

Link Posted: 6/1/2005 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I live in Indy but I believe our General AO will be around Commish's area.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Knocking this back to Top
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
This one guy, QuietShootr, might be around, and rumor has it he can successfully identify the front end of a firearm seven times out of ten.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This one guy, QuietShootr, might be around, and rumor has it he can successfully identify the front end of a firearm seven times out of ten.

7 out of 10?  You give him way too much credit
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Although I enjoy the attention... I fail to see how this pertains to the subject.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Although I enjoy the attention... I fail to see how this pertains to the subject.

Inside joke.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Wish I lived closer...
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sorry!  I didn't realize you owned this topic.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Two things first:

1. I'm a team member now!! Go me!!
2. No, I don't "own" it, per se... please notice the sarcasm.

Next:
Sorry to those I promised manuals... I meant to get them out, but due to missions I haven't been able to get them out. I will get them out as soon as I get back to base.

I'm thinking first actual "training" outing will be in February... because I want to be able to spend some time with my wife and family the first full month I'm home. This way, we'll be able to meet and have a few meals together... talk shop and feel each other out. Some of the survival group members have some personal issues that they need to work out...so that allots them more time to get their stuff settled out before coming out and being away from family.

I'm trying to be accomodating to family because that's the whole purpose of us getting together and training together... to better protect and defend our families.

I'll be home in a month...would like to get together with the current members and meet over lunch and see where we're coming from and what we can do to make this more productive as far as continuing networking and maybe expanding for making more groups. A network wouldn't be a bad thing... or would it? Man, so much to discuss. I'm excited.

SW1
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks SW1 for being patient in me getting info to you, things are moving along well on my end personally, so I should be on here more frequently.  I am looking very forward to getting together with everyone to talk shop.  Thanks again SW1 for the words of encouragement.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey man... I've got nothing but time. We'll get you set up from this end and keep you involved by any means necessary.

Just get me your information sometime soon, cause I need to have an address to send you a disk of manuals and stuff... basis of study... all good stuff.

I'm praying for you man... Marriage is a sacred thing to me... and I hate to see anyone end a marriage... especially people with kids.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Okay... out of the group... Who has any marketable skills for survival... such as medic, engineer, hunting skills, etc.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#30]
My knowledge of survival skills mainly consists of trap & snare making, shelter & primitive camping skills.  It's been a while since I've done much of this, but I'm sure that my skills are still there, just a bit rusty.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Awesome... Since I'm shootin for a campout in February... that'll be on the list. See if you can polish up those skills before then, if you have time.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#32]
What about a name? Should we have a name? What do you think? I've had a couple of ideas cause well, I'm military and we name everything.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Okay... out of the group... Who has any marketable skills for survival... such as medic, engineer, hunting skills, etc.

Let me know.

I'd like to consider myself an adept hunter with gun or bow when it comes to Indiana game animals.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]
How about the JPS Group, JPS=(Jack Pine Savage).  That is one of the nichnames I got in the feild I always thought it was funny.  I wanted to start my own Boy scout type group and give out an award with that name.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I was thinking about 1st CSR(Civillian Survival Regiment) What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Works for me, but I would check the state constitution, you may inadvertantly make us subordinant to the Governor.  See most people don't realize that there was all ready a homeland defense system set up.  In the state of indiana it was set up specifically for the Civil War.  Look it up in the constitution of the state most males that have a state ID and reside here are in violation of the State Constitution and don't even realize it.  It was set in place to guarantee states rights.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#37]
ARTICLE 12. Militia

Section 1. Composition
Section 1. A militia shall be provided and shall consist of all persons over the age of seventeen (17) years, except those persons who may be exempted by the laws of the United States or of this state. The militia may be divided into active and inactive classes and consist of such military organizations as may be provided by law

I would assume that this would consist of the National Guard, Individual Ready Reserve, etc. Making sure that the word "Civillian" is expressly in the name should relieve us from any state obligation so that we would be able to concentrate on private preservation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I just brought it up to appear more "transparent" as it may be said.  You are correct, like I said I like the name.  Some Gov. types are a little touchy these days.  I sound like someone that lives in Lybia, where any persons that meet in a group of 2 or more with out Gov. approval would be deamed subversives.  

Have we gotten to that point, I hope not?
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#39]
No, I hope not. The last thing I want to do is call any undue attention and have someone try to make us into more than what we really are. Of course there are the lot of people who do this stuff all the time, with no problem or reservation... so I don't see a problem.

I'd like the input of the other guys, too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd really like to learn orienteering and navigation. I have detailed topographical maps for most of my county. I use them to locate certain terrain features that increase my odds of killing a big buck. I'd really love to learn to navigate with them in unfamilar areas. I'd also love to get instruction on using a GPS.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#41]
One of the manuals I'll be sending is the Army Land Navigation manual. It teaches all about Orienteering and Navigation. I think you'll enjoy that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I have done a lot of land nav.  around here it is very easy to get confused in some of these draws and fingers.  Moving at night is the real challenge.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#43]
No kidding. Land Nav isn't one of my strong suits... never has been. I need a LOT of work on it... Moving at night SUCKS!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'd really like to learn orienteering and navigation. I have detailed topographical maps for most of my county. I use them to locate certain terrain features that increase my odds of killing a big buck. I'd really love to learn to navigate with them in unfamilar areas. I'd also love to get instruction on using a GPS.

Lesson number 1 grasshopper:

Be sure to stop, turn 180 degrees and take a good look at where you came from.  That is how it will look on your return.  Too often people take for granted they are familiar with an area they passed through once, going in one direction.  Not true.  The return trip is technically a new path of travel, landmarks will not be familiar.

Lesson 2, GPS is great if you don't want to really learn land nav.  

Lesson 3, learn the difference between magentic and grid north.  Not a huge issue in Indiana, but it is East and West of here.

Learn your pace.  Average distance covered per X number of steps and time traveled.  You have to be able to estimate your distance traveled in unfamiliar terrain to be sure which landmarks you are looking at.

Take notes as you navigate, write down all your directional info, times, locations, change in route.  Rite in Rain pads are great for this.  You will NOT be able to recall all that info if you have to back track.  High stress levels make it even harder, example, being lost.  This is one thing GPS units do for you, when they are on and working.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have done a lot of land nav.  around here it is very easy to get confused in some of these draws and fingers.  Moving at night is the real challenge.

Good point, on a topo map, when the contour lines cross a stream, river or ravine, the lines will point up hill or up stream.

Good equipment to own:

Delorme Atlas and gazetteer for Indiana
www.delorme.com/atlasgaz/
www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?pid=0899333192&ad=FGLBKS

A compass like this
www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,5176,00.html

Rite in rain goodies
www.riteintherain.com/

One of these for maps you print yourself
seallinegear.com/cases.asp?Category=ProtectiveCases

Good web site, the more you read maps, the better you get with them.  Pick areas you have never been too before.
topozone.com

You must have a light for after dark, I use LED lights now.  Red LED's suck for reading maps at night.  Washes out the colors on the map too much.  Green is not much better.  I love my infinity light.  Gerber owns them now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Land nav will be a big thing that we go over, especially with first aid and movement operations...

Also, what's everyone's opinion about the name? Keep it or ditch it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the name, maybe we could get some patches made up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been working on some designs for some... but I can't draw for crap. Maybe I can show you guys some rough sketches when I come home for leave and we have lunch somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Sounds good, I can probably help make your design a reality.  Then we will just have to find a place to make them up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Excellent, Smithers... I'll show you some drawings and Let you have at 'em... Then we'll show the other members.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top