Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2023 7:26:52 PM EDT
The long and short of it is, my parents aren’t the healthiest and likely don’t have a lot of time left. My wife is miserable being away from family. Ultimately we don’t want my kids to miss out on time with their grandparents, so we’ve been discussing moving back. I’m melancholy about it because frankly, I know what it entails for my gun collection; it’s got to go.

Ohio has been great for gun stuff, I mean really great. Three suppressors, two SBRs and if I see it, I can buy it. Pistols require a 4473, background check and take it home. Transferable machine guns in the gun case at the local fun store are not an unusual sight.

The downside is, we’re isolated out here. It’s actually a bit more expensive than Upstate in a lot of respects. Cheaper in others.

I’m fully aware that things have changed since we left in ‘21, but what am I in for? I understand a permit is now required to own any semi auto, ammo requires a background check and bound book entry. What else?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there some type of long term storage you can plan in OH? Though I don’t know how that works with stamp items. You can have shotguns, and need to be a long time resident to apply for pistol permit.

I guess the question is, would you be returning to OH after?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there some type of long term storage you can plan in OH? Though I don’t know how that works with stamp items. You can have shotguns, and need to be a long time resident to apply for pistol permit.

I guess the question is, would you be returning to OH after?
View Quote

I have the option to store a few items long term. Not everything.

With my SCAR-16 SBR I can swap the 10” barrel with the 16” and turn the stamp in. My other SBR is a grail AK-102 5.56 compact rifle, so it’ll suck to have to sell it. I don’t think any SOT would consider logging them in and stashing them away somewhere.

Do permit applications specifically require continuous residency? How long? I have my old permit but I know it was likely discontinued when I left.

The truth is I don’t shoot much out here. But I hate the idea of giving up so much of what I’ve worked my ass of to acquire. My family would be worth it, but it pisses me off.

I think eventually I’d move out again, but as my kids get older it’ll be a lot harder to uproot them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Permits depend on the county. Most require years of residency, then you need references from the same county also with years of residency. Being fought in the courts but yeah…

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If you didn't surrender your old permit don't assume that it's gone. If you move back I'd update the address on the permit and noones the wiser
I'd find a way to keep the non compliant stuff in storage or extended family if possible
Where are the parents located? Could you move somewhere just over the border and commute a short ways to see them
Bring as much ammo with you to avoid jumping through the NY ammo hoops any sooner than you have to
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Parents are in Syracuse half the year and in The Villages the other half. We talked about moving to Scranton, PA so the commute is an hour and a half on 81N but I don’t know a lot about PA laws. We also talked about Ocala, FL but if something happens to my parents they’re going to default to NY where the bulk of my family is.

My job is remote so it ultimately doesn’t matter where we end up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
only need semi auto "license" to purchase, not own. That's likely not necessary to move stuff in since you are not buying.
Would suck to give up the supressors, etc.
PA has okay rules for most of the stuff, but I bet the drive would suck pretty soon.
Driving just over an hour to my mothers gets to be annoying.
I would look for storage for stuff you cannot import back in legally. In minecraft I might be tempted to just keep it all around in a locked case in a locked closet.

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
only need semi auto "license" to purchase, not own. That's likely not necessary to move stuff in since you are not buying.
Would suck to give up the supressors, etc.
PA has okay rules for most of the stuff, but I bet the drive would suck pretty soon.
Driving just over an hour to my mothers gets to be annoying.
I would look for storage for stuff you cannot import back in legally. In minecraft I might be tempted to just keep it all around in a locked case in a locked closet.
View Quote

This is still in the “maybe” stage as the soonest we can move is about a year out anyway. And if the housing market cools too much we’re not going anywhere. I’m not losing money at the same time as liberty.

I guess I can pray really hard that the courts intercede and spank NY, but logically I think we all know the left wouldn’t give up so easily, even if the courts were to rule for individual liberty in such a short timeframe.

Driving doesn’t bother me. Right now we’re 7.5 hours away and with the two- and four-year-old, road trips are simply hell anyway. My son pukes reliably thanks to car sickness and my daughter doesn’t tell us when she needs a bathroom break until she pees through her car seat. The Scranton to ‘Cuse commute would be like a Sunday drive.

Man, just think about that- 7.5 hours west-southwest is the difference between having Kathy Hocul as your governor or Jim Jordan as your congressman. ETA: realistically even shorter than that. I think it’s 45 mins between the western-most tip of NY and the eastern-most bit of Ohio, assuming there isn’t construction in Pennsylvania or a confluence of shitty OH/PA/NY drivers sharing the highway.

Are SKS and Garands still good to go? Beretta 1301s?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Standard SKS and Garand are gtg by state law.

Rochester City bans both. Other cities might.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
A semiautomatic shotgun having at least one of the following characteristics:

a. Folding or Telescoping Stock
b. Thumbhole Stock
c. Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-trigger hand
d. Fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds
e. An ability to accept a detachable magazine
View Quote

So your 1301 is probably gtg.
ETA- the semi-auto purchase thing is rifles only so doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think there is a residency lapse issue with the PP
I left for a few years and they either didn't care or didn't ever know.

You're supposed to change address with them.
Now you've missed at least one 'mandatory' re-cert.
Neither is a crime since you weren't possessing in NY without it.

It's at least worth going to the county clerk and asking if you can update back to full status.
Especially if it's a 'good' county.
If you can, you can also easily amend the semi-auto rifle purchase to your PP.
Starting over now is going to really suck.

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
NY SBR law is for possession of complete guns.
'Constructive' possession can be an issue but strip the guns and store parts in multiple places and it's close to zero.

Probably no reason to 'de-stamp'
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NY SBR law is for possession of complete guns.
'Constructive' possession can be an issue but strip the guns and store parts in multiple places and it's close to zero.

Probably no reason to 'de-stamp'
View Quote

ATF has to approve relocating registered machine guns, SBR, SBS or suppressors across state lines or possibly even to different cities in the same state. They won’t permit moving them to NY as an individual.

I would have to ‘destroy’ or sell the items and turn the stamps in, or find an SOT willing to log them in and hang onto them long-term while I figure things out. Then I’d likely have to pay the tax to get them back. In the case of my SCAR, it’s easy enough to pull the barrel. The AK, suppressors have to be sold. My AOW Mossberg might be legal still, and I can possess on a pistol permit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Skip past guns for a minute.

You’d be moving to one of the worst economies in the country, and it’s tanking fast.  Even democrats are leaving- half a million last year.

The atmosphere against conservatives is acidic.  Crime is going through the roof.  

NY schools are now rated below FL.  

We will be leaving for FL so our children, and their descendants, have a better life.  Mom and Dad also have said when it’s time they will quit snowbirding and stay in NY.  That’s their choice; mine is to look forward for future generations.

It’s for the children.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Parents are in Syracuse half the year and in The Villages the other half. We talked about moving to Scranton, PA...
View Quote

Find a place in Pennsylvania within a nice distance to your parents,  100 times better than coming back here.  Don't give the vampire state any more of your $ than you have to.  Don't move back here single party rule ensures this place is fucked and will get worse.  There's no adults left in charge here, they are free to enact their biggest and most idiotic leftist pipe dreams, for them the sky is the limit and no peaky Constitution is going to stop them.  I'm not even really talking about guns here.

If you move back here you'll regret it more than you realize, plus IMHO you'll have to seriously consider homeschooling.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
There is some good advice in this thread. Don’t bring your children to this state.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly the better answer is to have the parents sell their stuff and home and move to you. I understand needing to care for family, which is absolutely the only barely legitimate reason to move to NY as a gun owner.
I left 7 years ago, and still have a brother,sister and a couple nephews there. If one of those key family members got critically I’ll, I would go help TEMPORARILY only.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I appreciate all of the replies, guys. I want to stay in Ohio, but I’m only half of the equation. My other half is miserable being away from family. It’s weighed on me since the two weeks BEFORE we moved to Ohio, almost two years ago. Nothing I can do about it; believe me, I’ve tried.

We had grand plans coming out here and for the most part, those plans blew up on us. In her mind now we’re only here for my hobby.

The job market around C’Bus is outstanding. Schools out here are very good, too and we both have trepidation about what the public schools in NY would teach our kids. But none of that is enough for her.

No chance whatsoever any of my family would consider moving out here. They don’t make an effort to visit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn, can’t even bring an SL-8.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Sell all your weapons and take up bird watching or golf.. be a good communist...
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Damn, can’t even bring an SL-8.
View Quote

SL8s have been made ny compliant.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sell all your weapons and take up bird watching or golf.. be a good communist...
View Quote

I was thinking of getting back into scale modeling. ETA lol, at least until NY decides models, paints and cements must be banned as environmental hazards, and houses containing modeling chemicals are designated brownfield superfund sites.

Quoted:
View Quote

As in, they’re considered NY complaint from the factory, or they need a California butthole stock plug to be compliant? Brownells says they’ll ship them into NY which is unusual for Brownells to indicate unless the rifle is good to go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you didn't surrender your old permit don't assume that it's gone. If you move back I'd update the address on the permit and noones the wiser
View Quote

@tc556guy

I’ve disposed of a few handguns in Ohio and purchased a couple of others. The acquisition side is easy to deal with by sending them into an FFL. How would I go about amending my permit to remove the sold guns without disposition paperwork?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As in, they’re considered NY complaint from the factory, or they need a California butthole stock plug to be compliant? Brownells says they’ll ship them into NY which is unusual for Brownells to indicate unless the rifle is good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda both.
Gotta fill the hole but it looks like some are sold as compliant by the maker or distributor now.

I shoot so much with my thumb on the wrong side(ARs) I forget which way is normal.

ETA - Brownells tells me I can have a thumbhole stock and DBM SL8 model that I'm 99.99% sure I can't.
Could be a real mess when the FFL gets it but won't transfer it.
Here's one that looks compliant(but oos) https://www.riflegear.com/p-16589-hk-sl8-223-20-rifle-black-ca.aspx
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@tc556guy

I’ve disposed of a few handguns in Ohio and purchased a couple of others. The acquisition side is easy to deal with by sending them into an FFL. How would I go about amending my permit to remove the sold guns without disposition paperwork?
View Quote

That will be difficult without paperwork. You'll probably have to ask the county your permit is through what they'll accept
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#25]
We’ll save a seat for you at Christmas dinner
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Tell her its your way or the highway! If she leaves, just trade her in on a newer model is all!

Third time was the charm for me...

You got a taste of freedom, do you REALLY want to give that up?

PS I know this will light the string on your brother's tampon, but I dont care.

His lil friend will be along soon too I bet.

He should stick to fishing and photography
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tell her its your way or the highway! If she leaves, just trade her in on a newer model is all!

View Quote

She told me she’d stay if I wanted it, I just won’t make her. Ultimately she sacrificed much of what was important to her to give this move a chance, she hasn’t thrived out here and we decided our family back in NY is more important. We’ll deal with the consequences of our decision as they come. If I have to put off gun collecting for a bit before we retire someplace warmer, so be it.

Don’t stir shit in my thread.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some people pay rent, some people live rent free..
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

She told me she’d stay if I wanted it, I just won’t make her. Ultimately she sacrificed much of what was important to her to give this move a chance, she hasn’t thrived out here and we decided our family back in NY is more important. We’ll deal with the consequences of our decision as they come. If I have to put off gun collecting for a bit before we retire someplace warmer, so be it.

View Quote

I'm not defending the vile and stupid laws at all but there are shitloads of cool guns to collect that NYS won't bother you about.
Especially if you can get the semi auto rifle license on your old PP but even without.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not defending the vile and stupid laws at all but there are shitloads of cool guns to collect that NYS won't bother you about.
Especially if you can get the semi auto rifle license on your old PP but even without.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure there’s something I’ll get into once I’m settled. But right now, this kind of stuff has been what I’ve collected in Ohio, and this is what I’m bummed about giving up.

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Really look at pa .. it’s a hell of lot better than ny..  

You can own class 3 items, ltc (ccw), and can own semi autos so far.  Even hunt small game with semi now.  

Your ltc is 45 day process without a paperwork of ny (the size war and peace) and hope you get in 2 years.  

yes it’s turning more blue but still hell a lot better than nys.  

I would never move back to ny or nj I still have family back in those liberal holes..

After I obtaining freedom I understand what people felt like when they escaped the nazis and iron curtain.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats rich coming from someone who was too big a pussy to face being publicly called out by 6 people so you tucked your pecker between your legs and hid behind your wife.

@Thirsty, you make it back here I'll buy you a good dinner, at least we know the check won't be short.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Really look at pa .. it’s a hell of lot better than ny..  

You can own class 3 items, ltc (ccw), and can own semi autos so far.  Even hunt small game with semi now.  

Your ltc is 45 day process without a paperwork of ny (the size war and peace) and hope you get in 2 years.  

yes it’s turning more blue but still hell a lot better than nys.  

I would never move back to ny or nj I still have family back in those liberal holes..

After I obtaining freedom I understand what people felt like when they escaped the nazis and iron curtain.  

View Quote

2nd this, you could move near Binghamton but live over the border in PA. Still 20 minutes from shopping and restaurants but safely not in NY. That will get you half way closer to your family than Scranton
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

...In her mind now we’re only here for my hobby.
View Quote

Freedom isn't a hobby but I know I'm preaching to the choir here.  If she resents moving out there for your hobby you'll end up resenting moving back.

Split the difference.

Seriously do not move back to NY, move to PA.  I went to PA for college and regret ever coming back.  I get the elderly parents thing, thats why I'm here now but moving back to this perpetually worsening leftist dominated dystopia will weigh heavy on you when you're back.  Compromise and pick somewhere near the border but in PA.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you have any trusted friends you could leave them with?
Obviously you would have to retain control of access so they can't know the combo or have a key but, bag the NYS no-go items and place in multiple mylar bags, stick in his basement corner or (if light enough) in his attic?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only problem is he has some NFA items: three suppressors and two SBR's. I am pretty sure those cannot be left behind with a "trusted friend". ATF gets rather squirrely about the handling and possession of NFA items.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Only problem is he has some NFA items: three suppressors and two SBR's. I am pretty sure those cannot be left behind with a "trusted friend". ATF gets rather squirrely about the handling and possession of NFA items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, those have to be sold or in the case of my SBRs, reverted to rifles and stamps canceled/turned in. In the case of my AOW, it can likely be added to my permit since it’s technically a 12-ga smooth bore pistol. Haven’t found anything in the penal code specifically addressing AOWs. Unless I can find a plain barrel, I’ll have to sell my FNX-45 Tactical too, which pisses me off as well.

The reality is, I’m likely going to sell everything and come back with my pistols (transferred to a dealer in state), a couple of bolt guns, lever guns, my Garand, Beretta 1301 and I told my wife, a Manurhin MR-73 Gendarmerie.

People who are arrested and prosecuted for violating NY’s bullshit gun laws are political prisoners. Nothing less.

Ohio has virtually no gun restrictions in comparison. According to the most recent FBI UCR, Syracuse has a per capita violent crime rate of 280. It’s almost the exact same number as Columbus, OH.

NY’s gun laws aren’t about reducing crime, they can’t be because they don’t fucking work. They’re about inconveniencing political rivals. C’Bus is awash in arms, Syracuse is not and the violent crime rates are almost the same. Syracuse is a tiny, low population city and C’Bus is a huge, high-population city.

It’s such a shitty thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Moved down south 4 1/2 years ago. We can have all that stuff here also but it is getting real crowded here and it keeps getting hotter. Not all that happy here and thinking about moving back to NY. I know it is a shell of what it used to be, family is gone and more, but home is home. Sure, I will have to get rid of some things but guns aren't everything. When we moved down here I found out that there was a whole new line of bull shit to deal with so take your pick. Maybe you could take up smoking dope. LOL Haven't moved yet but seriously thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are a good man, I put my wife first also. Thinking of selling my motorcycle to be sure nothing happens to me, she would be lost.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#40]
The grass isn't always as green as it seems in other states.  A friend and client (retired corrections officer) sold his home down the street to move to Florida.  He got down there bought a nice house and absolutely hated Florida.  Six months later he was back in New York.  Getting out just for the sake of leaving NewYorkistan is not always the best plan.  Look carefully before you leap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#41]
NYS budget now withholds federal Medicaid money from counties.   The state is going to keep, and blow, this money.  Counties will pick up the loss, with property taxes expected to rise 7% - 14%.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#42]
PA just over the border along the 81 corridor is where I'd be looking if I were you
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
NYS budget now withholds federal Medicaid money from counties.   The state is going to keep, and blow, this money.  Counties will pick up the loss, with property taxes expected to rise 7% - 14%.
View Quote
Not really familiar with Medicaid law but wouldn't this pique the interest of the Federal government if the state is spending Medicaid money on things other than Medicaid recipients Hopefully some county's will sue in Federal court over this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not really familiar with Medicaid law but wouldn't this pique the interest of the Federal government if the state is spending Medicaid money on things other than Medicaid recipients
View Quote

This is all you need to know about the Federal government and Medicaid money; The Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 gave billions in Medicaid and food-stamp funding to states conditional on NOT restricting rolls to exclude ineligible Americans such as able-bodied, working-age adults.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the info. We are kind of old and on fixed income. Would hate to move back home only to go broke. Imagine moving back and getting blindsided with only having to pay even more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The grass isn't always as green as it seems in other states.  A friend and client (retired corrections officer) sold his home down the street to move to Florida.  He got down there bought a nice house and absolutely hated Florida.  Six months later he was back in New York.  Getting out just for the sake of leaving NewYorkistan is not always the best plan.  Look carefully before you leap.
View Quote

Maybe he's weird or picked a bad place?   Of the tons of people I know who've left only one elderly couple (WWII Veteran) moved back and that was because they were 80 and wanted to move back to be with their kids and grandkids.  Now they've both passed and somewhat ionically their kids and grandkids left NY.

Heck half my graduating class is living outside of NY too when I think about it.  Think of all those tax dollars used to educate those people and become productive citizens elsewhere. Lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
PA just over the border along the 81 corridor is where I'd be looking if I were you
View Quote

This is the right answer. If it were me with money invested in FA stuff no way would I move to NY. Just across the border is way more freedom and a much cheaper living.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. We are kind of old and on fixed income. Would hate to move back home only to go broke. Imagine moving back and getting blindsided with only having to pay even more.
View Quote

They're saying in the news this morning that gas prices in NYS will jump .60 a gallon because of the shenanigans NYS is pulling. I can't imagine how that is going to impact people on fixed incomes because you know everything else will go up too
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Been looking in PA to be near Endicott NY which is where home was. For 1 1/2 years now we have been looking and there is not a lot there and some of those homes doe not look to be very well built. Finding a decent place has been tough.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Been looking in PA to be near Endicott NY which is where home was.
View Quote
Slightly off topic but there was an article on a computer industry news site I follow reporting that IBM is shutting down the only remaining IBM office in Endicott. With that shutdown, IBM will have completely vacated the community where it was started one hundred years ago. IBM will still have a large presence in New York, including headquarters in Armonk, but just not in Endicott. I knew the shut down plant #1 about 20 years ago but did not realize they still had a presence there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top