BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It is real.
https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-ODNR/news/spring-valley-archery-reopening

The poor guy attending the Education Center will be asked a lot on the rifle/pistol range but he/she probably was told just smile! At least we can get close to take a peak on the secret construction project that takes almost 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is real.
https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-ODNR/news/spring-valley-archery-reopening

The poor guy attending the Education Center will be asked a lot on the rifle/pistol range but he/she probably was told just smile! At least we can get close to take a peak on the secret construction project that takes almost 2 years.
View Quote
I was planing on going this Thursday just to ask some questions.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone go to sv yet? i know the shotgun range is the same as before but just wondering what the new entrance/ buildings are like.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
anyone go to sv yet? i know the shotgun range is the same as before but just wondering what the new entrance/ buildings are like.
View Quote
I meant to go last Thursday but forgot all about it.  I'll try to remember this week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

get with it Steve
View Quote
Going today.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Planning on opening the ranges in November.
As of right now, due to the china man flu nonsense, you'll have to make reservations to shoot.
On line?
By telephone?
By mail?
They don't know yet.
I think they said a 75 minute time limit.
Target holders will be supplied, frames made out of 2x2 pieces of wood that you will tape your targets to.
Construction workers were there installing baffles.
They aren't allowing people back there to take a look at the ranges.

I was there about an hour, mostly just BS'ing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Another flyover from yesterday. I can't tell if the backstops are taller!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-UnoTJMa4

Glad to see he can still spy for us, I thought they ban John B flying over Spring Valley.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry ODNR. It was closed for too long. I joined Greene County Fish & Game.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope to join next Spring.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Didn't see anything regarding the aforementioned time limits or pre-registering before you go. Hopefully that won't be a thing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
They said they are working on a reservation system to tie into the ODNR smartphone APP but it is not implemented yet.  They did clarify it would not be required (except for CCW instructor area) but would allow you priority access if they are crowded.

They would also like you to provide them an estimate of the number of rounds you fired so they can keep lead distributed equally along the line to reduce hot spots full of lead.  It will also allow them to determine when the backstop needs to be maintained to remove lead.

JLE

Quoted:

Didn't see anything regarding the aforementioned time limits or pre-registering before you go. Hopefully that won't be a thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is a photo of the main delay.  These baffles are HUGE.  Stacked 2x4 on the front and 1 piece AR500 steel on the back.
They said sourcing the AR500 was the hard part.

They also increased the height of the previous berms by 20' so the combination of the berm and baffles gives you no way to see the sky from the normal shooting positions.

JLE

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty cool they're finally opening back up, will have to go check them out. When going there to shoot, am I going to have an RSO up my ass the whole time, or do they just come around every so often?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They said they are working on a reservation system to tie into the ODNR smartphone APP but it is not implemented yet.  They did clarify it would not be required (except for CCW instructor area) but would allow you priority access if they are crowded.

They would also like you to provide them an estimate of the number of rounds you fired so they can keep lead distributed equally along the line to reduce hot spots full of lead.  It will also allow them to determine when the backstop needs to be maintained to remove lead.

JLE

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

JLE

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Hard to tell, in the past it has not been an issue for me but others have reported differently.

I think all state ranges have a 'slow-fire' of one round per second or something rule but how closely that is enforced probably depends on the RSO working and the person doing the 'slow-fire' :)

JLE
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Here are the baffles from the back showing just how large each piece of AR500 steel is.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hope to join next Spring.
View Quote
It's either January of February when they do the lotto for new members. It was in February this year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pretty cool they're finally opening back up, will have to go check them out. When going there to shoot, am I going to have an RSO up my ass the whole time, or do they just come around every so often?
View Quote
A brand new redone range? I'd say they will be more anal than usual.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]

https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr/go-and-do/plan-a-visit/find-a-property/spring-valley-wildlife-area-shooting-range

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
wow, thanks for the updates and photos everyone!   can't wait to get out there again!

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's either January of February when they do the lotto for new members. It was in February this year.
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't hear about it until a few weeks after.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
and this
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new-rifle-range-to-open-this-weekend-in-spring-valley-after-long-delay/WGWB4TERXJFHTF6VQ2HKNT5T7U/#:~:text=Garza%2DBehr%20said%20there%20are,re%2Dopen%20by%20October%202019

Do they still have 75 minutes session limit that I heard was implemented at other ranges when opened a few months back, if they supply sanitizer or clean the benches during the session breaks?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
and this
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new-rifle-range-to-open-this-weekend-in-spring-valley-after-long-delay/WGWB4TERXJFHTF6VQ2HKNT5T7U/#:~:text=Garza%2DBehr%20said%20there%20are,re%2Dopen%20by%20October%202019

Do they still have 75 minutes session limit that I heard was implemented at other ranges when opened a few months back, if they supply sanitizer or clean the benches during the session breaks?
View Quote
I stopped by for a quick look. As of now, no limit on sessions, no need to make advanced reservations and they had hand sanitizer stations.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Went the morning after the election. Was surprised with the amount of people already there.

Facility looks great (for now) and I hope it continues to stay that way. Kinda wish the check-in wasn’t perpendicular to the range. IMO, I feel like it should’ve  faced the parking lot so you could actually listen/talk to the attendant. But I’m sure they had their reasonings
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Rapid fire allowed? Last time I was there that was a
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Went to sv this past Sunday. Very nice. I was concerned it would be packed. 25 and 50 yard area was packed. 100 yard was busy but there was always a table or two open. On the 100 yard range, there are target holes every 25 yards. Ro said masks are required but only half the people were wearing them and nobody enforced it. The awning covering the firing line is very low. The ceiling is also kind of low. Definitely not as "open" as it used to be. It goes along with the no blue sky idea, they definitely made it so bullets go only into the back stop. Speaking of which, shooting only from the bench (or prone if youre by the path), so no standing to shoot, atleast at the 100.
The clay throwers are also a nice touch on the shotgun range.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top