Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you considered an STI Spartan?  

Philipines made frame for certain , I think the slide is also. Hence the price

From my understanding, the frame and slide is made by Armscor, and the internals are all STI and QC is done by STI before hitting the market.  I believe this is their only firearm not entirely made by STI.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't remember if it was here or on a 1911 forum, but STI stated they used RIA frames and slides for their builds.  I think it was a link to an interview actually.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a used Colt M1991A1 and send it off to EGW.. I got about $800 into mine total. The sights are much better than GI sights and the gun is made in the US

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't remember if it was here or on a 1911 forum, but STI stated they used RIA frames and slides for their builds.  I think it was a link to an interview actually.

RIA and the STI Spartan (cheapest model, far below cost of everything else) is made by Armscor.  IIRC, Armscor also makes Dan Wesson (or made at one point).
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had the pleasure of firing a range-gun last week and despite being beat to hell (it WAS a range-gun!), it performed flawlessly.  

I do not know how I missed your post, took me a while to find it.

i had not looked into them. It was one of the guns put into my hand at the store, but I had not heard of them. Appeared to be a nice gun, it was a few dollars more than the RA, but I couldnt see the difference. Now that you mention that they are or were made by the Dan wesson guys, makes me think I should take another look. This decision may take a while it appears.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Dan Wesson 1911s are manufactured in the US.

Owned by CZ-USA now, but still produced here.

They imported some shotguns from BRNO way back when they first started. They may have assembled pistols for other mfgs using armscor components and might have based the original PM7 on armscor parts (according to a thread on m1911.org).

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the pleasure of firing a range-gun last week and despite being beat to hell (it WAS a range-gun!), it performed flawlessly.  

I do not know how I missed your post, took me a while to find it.

i had not looked into them. It was one of the guns put into my hand at the store, but I had not heard of them. Appeared to be a nice gun, it was a few dollars more than the RA, but I couldnt see the difference. Now that you mention that they are or were made by the Dan wesson guys, makes me think I should take another look. This decision may take a while it appears.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear.... From the STI website:

Q.  Are STI pistols made in America?
A. The GP6 model is built for STI (to STI specifications) by Grand Power in Slovakia. The Spartan is built for STI (to STI specifications) in the Philippines by the STI division of Armscorp. All of the rest of our pistols are built right here in Georgetown, TX.

STI primarily makes competition 1911's, and is entirely a custom shop.  

As far as Armscor making for Dan Wesson, I think at some point in time (and I could be dead wrong) they made parts for Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Norinco or SIA.

The list of decent 1911s is long, the list of "no fucking way" ones is pretty short ( anything made in the Philipines for me is a no go). Best of luck on finding a cheap Norinco. I used to have a NIB one about 4 years ago, sold it for $400 ish IIRC. No idea what they sell for now, but I'm guessing more then $400. Another decent base gun would be a Argentine "1927 Colt Sistema". Damn good guns with some nice retro features like the checkering on the hammer and triggers etc.  One of the few guns I actually regret getting rid of. Again tho, they used to sell for $300, now I have no idea what they are worth. Doublestar frames are $99, used quality slides were running $100 when I was building 1911s ( ParaOrd and SA take offs) a few years ago. A Colt 1991 for $500 would be another decent base gun choice. If you start with a quality frame and slide, the rest is just parts that you can change as suits you.

Building your own 1911 though, is not for beginners, unless they're willing to spend alot of hours learning, and then a whole lot more hours doing tedious trial-and-error type work.  Definitely not for a do-it-yourself project, unless you really know what you're doing.

Not like building assembling an AR.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top