BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I certainly feel much better now than I did this morning about the bill.

Still a shame we lost SYG, but I also understand the reality that it would not have passed if it wasn't removed.  Hopefully the new legislature can re-address that and get it done after next year.
View Quote
yep, ...i have to imagine that the senate leadership made the decision to remove SYG in order to get as close to a veto-proof majority floor vote as possible...  remember, the long game being played here is in response to a kasich veto threat, ...so, i'd imagine the leadership, who routinely does "whip" counts to keep the pulse of support for bills, decided it was too risky to keep the SYG language, ...remember, the bill w/out the SYG passed by 19-10, ....3 Rs voting against, including my senator), ...so i think there's good reason for how it went down...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you all send thank you's for the yay votes and the expectation of continued yay votes for 2a issues.  These slimeballs need some back rubbing so they keep voting our way.

Unfortunately, my guy/gal are dirtbags (Brown, Sheehy) and voted NAY.  So I will be sending some polite hate mail.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My letter to my Democrat representatives:

I have recently learned of your vote against H.B. 228. I am very disappointed in your decision to not support the common sense changes and protections for Ohio residents.  Even after the so called "Stand Your Ground"  section was removed from the bill, you still voted Nay. I sincerely hope you, my representative, put partisan politics aside in the future and reconsider when it comes to our rights as citizens. The Democratic party used to fight for us, the little guy/gal. Please don't let that philosophy die in Ohio.

Respectfully,
AeroworksXP
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My letter to my Democrat representatives:
View Quote
Well said.

Certain dems made the argument about race. Which is totally shameful as this benefits minorities in a big way, unless the rental housing provision was taken out. I’ve only read the bill at each iteration and am more confused than ever. No worries, just hope it passes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the CHL changes to "promptly notify" get included in this last version?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did the CHL changes to "promptly notify" get included in this last version?
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What a week and still not done.

1) Governor still is saying he will veto.  I believe the bill was personally delivered to his office on Friday so there was no delay waiting on his office 'to pick it up'.  And also I believe Saturday counts as one of the days where Sunday does not.
2) We should have plenty of votes to override the veto in house.
3) Even after the Senate committee removed Duty to Retreat, 3 Rs still voted against the bill.
4) Even missing those 3, we have exactly the number of votes in the Senate to override.  Sen LaRose is solid but had to leave before the floor vote and that is why the 19 votes will become 20.
5) The 'Shockwave Fix' is certainly an editing error.  The language was inserted one section off from where it was supposed to go.  They will have to run a technical fix early next session to correct.  (Similar to a few years back with red-light camera bill where it accidently made it legal to run red lights )

Also HB 142 is scheduled for vote on Weds.  This is the 'duty to notify' bill.  But with the late timing only way they could override a veto is if they come back after Christmas and I would imagine too many will be out of town to make that happen.

Anyway, voicing your opinion to the Governor is needed.  And more importantly to your Senator letting them know you demand they override the expected veto.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

5) The 'Shockwave Fix' is certainly an editing error.  The language was inserted one section off from where it was supposed to go.  They will have to run a technical fix early next session to correct.  (Similar to a few years back with red-light camera bill where it accidently made it legal to run red lights )
View Quote
I saw BFA mentioned this on their Facebook page as well.  I feel better knowing my initial read was right and this won't be based on all that convoluted legal gymnastics on page 2.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#9]
JLE, thanks for the update!

-------------------

...it just takes a minute to contact the governor:

email form:
https://www.governor.ohio.gov/Contact/Contact-the-Governor

Governor John Kasich
Riffe Center, 30th Floor
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215-6117
Phone: (614) 466-3555
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
So, does it appear this bill has the votes to override a veto by FJK?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I talked to a friend of mine last night who is following the bill. He used to be our state Rep from this area and is now an appeals court judge. He said if the gov vetoes the bill, it can be resubmitted after the new governor is in office. He told me that he believes that the new governor would sign it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like they will be voting to add SYG to HB 142.  but they know damn well it is to late to get override  aveto even if they had the votes.

this way the cocksuckers get to avoid having to go on record on if they support SYG or not.

We will see if they put forward a SYG next year since it seems dewhine has indicated he would sign it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, does it appear this bill has the votes to override a veto by FJK?
View Quote
Should have plenty in the House and exactly the 20 in the Senate as long as all vote the same as they did on the floor vote.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Or you can look at it as they will get a chance to show how they will vote on SYG.

Plus can you imagine the heads exploding if Kasich decides he doesn't want the black-eye of a veto override and just signs it

JLE

Quoted:
sounds like they will be voting to add SYG to HB 142.  but they know damn well it is to late to get override  aveto even if they had the votes.

this way the cocksuckers get to avoid having to go on record on if they support SYG or not.

We will see if they put forward a SYG next year since it seems dewhine has indicated he would sign it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Any rumors on when we might hear something? I assume the governor will wait to the end to veto - not leaving enough time to override (?).
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe both the house and senate have made plans to return on the 20th if needed to override the veto.

I think the bill was sent to Kasich on the 7th so the 10 day window he has from there put us right at midweek next week.

JLE

Quoted:
Any rumors on when we might hear something? I assume the governor will wait to the end to veto - not leaving enough time to override (?).
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#17]
My reps went 1-1. Time to draft a Thank you and a disgust letter. Lehner has represented herself as Pro 2A, but voted no.

I'm going to ask why citizens out and about on lawful personal business should be required to run away from those that mean us harm. Maybe we should just stay home and cede the streets to them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ask why they want to put an additional burden on crime victims.  Burden of Proof, Duty to Retreat and all the related topics can only be used once you are the victim of a crime.  If you are not a crime victim, none of it applies.

JLE

Quoted:
My reps went 1-1. Time to draft a Thank you and a disgust letter. Lehner has represented herself as Pro 2A, but voted no.

I'm going to ask why citizens out and about on lawful personal business should be required to run away from those that mean us harm. Maybe we should just stay home and cede the streets to them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
He vetoed it this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck that asshole. Put syg back in now and have dewine sign it with the new Congress.

Today, in a speech to the Columbus Metropolitan Club, outgoing Ohio Governor John Kasich told the crowd, “Why would I sign a bill that gives more power to the gun advocates?”  Later in the speech he chose to use the terms “rotten, stinking politics.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
so doesn't it go directly back to the senate now
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
so doesn't it go directly back to the senate now
View Quote
both houses (house and senate) are require to provide a super-majority vote on overriding his veto...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
ok folks, ..time to get busy - let our state reps AND senators know, ...we want to over-ride kasich!!!!

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/breaking-news-gov-kasich-vetoes-hb-228-house-and-senate-must-override-bill-become-law

Contact your state Representative and state Senator now to encourage them to vote to override this veto.
Click here to use our Action Center.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ok folks, ..time to get busy - let our state reps AND senators know, ...we want to over-ride kasich!!!!

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/breaking-news-gov-kasich-vetoes-hb-228-house-and-senate-must-override-bill-become-law

Contact your state Representative and state Senator now to encourage them to vote to override this veto.
Click here to use our Action Center.
View Quote
I contacted mine. But is it worth trying to pass and get an override instead of just waiting for the new Congress to get seated and getting a new bill passed that has potentially better terms? Dewine said he'd already sign i believe and i think we'll have a stronger R majority. Or is it better to take what we can get incrementally?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I contacted mine. But is it worth trying to pass and get an override instead of just waiting for the new Congress to get seated and getting a new bill passed that has potentially better terms? Dewine said he'd already sign i believe and i think we'll have a stronger R majority. Or is it better to take what we can get incrementally?
View Quote
no, because we're at the end of the 2-year session...  we should salvage all the time/effort that went into getting a bill passed (this bill)...  otherwise, ...this bill dies, and the whole process of introducing, hearings, amending, passage in both houses, etc STARTS ALL OVER FROM ZERO in january...

...folks, ..this is 4th AND GOAL!!! time to get this thing done, ...and PUT SOME EGG ON KASICH's FACE in the process!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I contacted mine - fully on board. Any updates for today - will they vote tomorrow?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I contacted mine - fully on board. Any updates for today - will they vote tomorrow?
View Quote
i looked at today's journal from the house and the senate...   both met today, and adjourned until tomorrow morning 12/21...  in the house journal, it said they acknowledged that kasich vetoed HB228, just before adjourning before tomorrow...   so, ...maybe, the plan is to vote tomorrow (friday)....

don't wait, ..call/email your state rep and senator!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
My rep (Antani) answered me directly on twitter, stating the override votes will be on the 27th and 28th.

Antani's twitter answer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My rep (Antani) answered me directly on twitter, stating the override votes will be on the 27th and 28th.

Antani's twitter answer.
View Quote
great job, ...definitely a good way to get the info!!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]
another data point - i got an OFCC email alert also mentioning veto override planned for after Christmas...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you.  I've met him and spoken to him many times of 2A and  other issues.  He he even called me one time about his campaign!  I'm still shocked by that one!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Contacted my reps again this morning.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
great job everyone, ..keep up the pressure!

...imagine how wonderful it would be this Christmas season, to give Kasich a final "parting gift" in the form of a veto over-ride by his own party!!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Brothers, awesome work!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Reps contacted. What an asshole.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
ok everyone,

..looking at the legislative calendar, it appears the senate and house plan to have sessions tomorrow (Thurs 12/27).  this is likely going to be for doing veto overrides, ..so we are down to the wire...   IF WE DON'T OVERRIDE THIS VETO, ...THE WHOLE BILL DIES, AND WE'D HAVE TO START THE PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN FROM ZERO when the next session starts in 2019...

NOW IS THE TIME TO CONTACT YOUR STATE SENATORS AND REPS!!!!   Today and Tomorrow!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Veto overridden. Gfy Kasich.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Updated the OP - House and Senate successful override Kasich's veto!!!!

Merry Christmas, ...WE WIN!!!!

...and Kasich, you're "maverick" tactics against the majority will of the people in your state has made you even more of a douche...
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's the vid of today's senate session and override of Kasich's veto:

http://www.ohiochannel.org/video/ohio-senate-12-27-2018-part-2

...everyone take note of the opponents who rose to speak against the override, ...between the packaged talking points, ...they really don't like us very much, and blame us for everything...  remember - WE are the "gun lobby" they speak so ill of...

..i'll post up vote tallies from the house and senate as soon as i see it posted..
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Major Kudos to:

Senate President Obhof
Senator Coley
Senator Terhar (watch the vid, ..he gave a major smackdown to Kasich's antics)
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#41]
ohio house today:
http://www.ohiochannel.org/video/ohio-house-of-representatives-12-27-2018

67-22

...what does Kasich say to that!!???!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ohio house today:
http://www.ohiochannel.org/video/ohio-house-of-representatives-12-27-2018

67-22

...what does Kasich say to that!!???!!!
View Quote
‘You know, my dad was a mailman..’
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Certainly good news!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Great job everyone, ..time to give yourself a pat on the back, ..and don't forget to thank some of the reps and senators who fought hard to get this feat done!!!

...kasich is a man w/out a party now, ...this is a major rebuke from the elected legislative body, a supermajority disagreed with his embrace of the gun grabbers...

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20181227/ohio-legislature-overrides-governor-kasichs-veto-of-self-defense-legislation
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#45]
folks, ..if you call right now you can get through to an aide!

Big Thank you:

Senator Larry Obhof
Statehouse
1 Capitol Square, 2nd Floor
Hometown: Medina
(614) 466-7505
Email Senator Obhof

Senator William P. Coley, II
Senate Building
1 Capitol Square, 1st Floor
Hometown: Liberty Township
(614) 466-8072
Email Senator Coley
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#46]
How did your state rep vote?...

Ohio House - Veto Override Vote (Unofficial):

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#47]
It passed! Great work everybody.

Be sure to write your reps thank you notes and let them know you appreciate their votes!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#48]
folks, ...

i've been able to get through to several on the senate side - there are aides still there taking phone calls...  don't forget to take a minute to give credit where deserved!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
today was a great day at the legislature!!!

....for lame-duck maverick, kasich, ..not so much!

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-general-assembly-overrides-gov-kasichs-veto-hb-228
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Impressive, politicians with a nutsack.

Good day for Ohio.
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top