[#1]
In the end.....  You're left with a pistol AR.   So who cares
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well if your going to go illegal, why not go machine gun?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no I meant like SBR > pistol type "who cares"

Also a major difference between flat out MG and a technicality on what order the receiver was made/built or what ever.  Takes a lot more to figure that out than if something is an MG.  There is also the 2nd part of where would you use it, I had a friend in Yuma who made a few MGs in his garage.  I was all about it at first, then learned more and didn't want to go shooting with him.  Only takes a fender bender or traffic stop to get caught with them, let alone someone asking questions when you're blasting away in the desert.  The novelty way off quick too and they didn't amuse me much after a bit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also a major difference between flat out MG and a technicality on what order the receiver was made/built or what ever.  Takes a lot more to figure that out than if something is an MG.  There is also the 2nd part of where would you use it, I had a friend in Yuma who made a few MGs in his garage.  I was all about it at first, then learned more and didn't want to go shooting with him.  Only takes a fender bender or traffic stop to get caught with them, let alone someone asking questions when you're blasting away in the desert.  The novelty way off quick too and they didn't amuse me much after a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reasoning could be applied to the pistol- all it takes for a Leo is a phone call to ATF and he can find out how it's been registered in the past- ATF won't tell us but they will tell the Leo ... And then the owner could be facing a felony- chances of this happening may be slim but I wouldn't risk it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
What's being registered?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Barrel installation does not make it a rifle, the installation of a stock makes it a rifle as per ATFs dfinition of what a rifle is. This wouldn't be the first time that they did that. For example, despite the use of the term firearm in the federal assault weapons ban, ATF interpreted the preban exmeption to only include to assembled firearms configured as assault weapons on/before 13SEP1994.

18 U.S.C. § 921 (a)(7) And 27 CFR § 478.11
Rifle
The term "RIFLE" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

If a stock has been installed its a rifle

Pistol can have any length barrel.. So installing a barrel on a Virgin receiver would not change anything about receiver
Once a stock has been installed, it's a rifle and can't be made into pistol without nfa
Pistol can be made from receiver that has never had a stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what if you bought said lower without a stock on it but only pistol grip?? How are you supposed to know it had a rifle stock or pistol tube on it

ATF has interpreted complete lowers (lower with buttstock) to be configurable as a pistol without being an SBR, as long it was not previously built as a rifle (i.e. was not equipped with a barrel).
Barrel installation does not make it a rifle, the installation of a stock makes it a rifle as per ATFs dfinition of what a rifle is. This wouldn't be the first time that they did that. For example, despite the use of the term firearm in the federal assault weapons ban, ATF interpreted the preban exmeption to only include to assembled firearms configured as assault weapons on/before 13SEP1994.

18 U.S.C. § 921 (a)(7) And 27 CFR § 478.11
Rifle
The term "RIFLE" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

If a stock has been installed its a rifle

Pistol can have any length barrel.. So installing a barrel on a Virgin receiver would not change anything about receiver
Once a stock has been installed, it's a rifle and can't be made into pistol without nfa
Pistol can be made from receiver that has never had a stock

ATF interprets uses an assembly interpretation of a rifle. Here is a letter they wrote to somebody (not me) on the topic of using (originally) stocked complete lowers to build pistols. This would not be the first time that ATF interpreted the term firearm to reflect an assembly rather than simply a receiver. For example, during the 1994-2004 ban years, ATF interpreted the preban exemption to only include complete firearms (either in assembled or knockdown form) configured as assault weapons on or before 13 SEP 1994.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/ARpistolreceiverletter-page1-web.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/ARpistolreceiverletter-page2-web.jpg

Even though receivers that would be take-offs from complete rifles would also transfer as others, those would NOT be able to be rebuilt as pistol-type firearms without being registered as SBRs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top