Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, retail in general has a high turnover. PSA retail turnover has been below the industry norm.
View Quote
high retail, and industry norm, while these figures are good for the executives trying to keep their jobs, what does being below industry norm do for / to help the employees who just experience that retail?  in the past month fern alone lost a manager, an assistant, an acting mgr, and others... in the gun industry, i dont know what the average pay rates are as they were when i ran retail decades ago, but in this state a living wage to pay bills like mortgage is 30k a year, so if you're paying fte's anything less than 15/hr they wont stay long.  raises, and employee developmenet also need to come into play to help keep them and develop them as quality employees that can move up the ranks and handle higher jobs.  granted you'll have a few fliers that are not gonna stay no matter what you do, but if you make it a family that promotes from the inside, you'll keep them longer for sure.e
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

now i said the person walked out a week ago. I didnt say why, i didnt say exact dates, nor did i say really anything negative of that mgr.  I know you know/ knew alot of the folks, as you used to work there high up, but as i stated, alot of folks (3 is a lot in a store that size) being let go. not including that guy who walked out.  thats top end mgmt, maybe i got a position or two wrong, maybe i didnt.  I never disliked him, and only wish him the best.  the only bad interaction i ever had with him was giving me bad advice about just doing a face to face arms deal with a guy out of state. From what i understood he was military and retired, thus the comments on not needing the job. I agree with the issues of the top of the psa chain and have said so for years.  Although i have a TON of respect for them at teh same time, i think they should stick to what they're best at and let true corporate helmsmen and women run the show from that angle.  I hate that it appeared that i was writing an attack on the mgr who walked otu, as it wasnt.  i never said those folks were the basis of the problems, Im stating they werent helping. for whatever reasons may be.  The passion comment was self observation. i dont view these folks as being passionate about retail. I didnt see this store after a full restaging be stocked with quality products that have been needed in the store for years, instead i see multiple pegs of the same items on new hangers.  thats not just the store fault, its mgmt, and wearehouse, and whoevers cockblockign the store from getting whatever it needs. I never said they wernt good people, I feel for them, ive been unemployed before, i know how it is. i've done retail.  And who says i have a source at all? alot can be gleaned just from standing in store you know.

i know this is some of the issue.  I know that if a company plans a re-staging of the store months in advance, they can plan to hold stock months in adavnce. they did so with summeville i saw the pallets upon pallets when jamin walked me  around them saying this entire half is for summerville.  it isnt just the store that has the issue with stock, thats known, but not getting the stock to be there when you re-stage a full store is only half assing it at best.  I know of the black hole warehouse as ive been there too, at dunbar as well as the old farrow, seen both.  its amazing they get stuff to folks at times in my mind at all.  I'm surprised the entire shebang hasnt been outsorced to  a company who knows logistics yet.  its like they like to think they know how to reimagine the wheel for fun.

ive seen the terrible decisions just on how they rented the farrow store before having a new place up for them only to rent another space and make a store temporarily instead.  its pissing money away.  theres a lot of good at fern, and fern could be great again if they'd stock it with both good folks and equipment / items for sale.  i love the new look and many of the crew left are great folks. but when i cant come in and find a simple PSA branded gas block or 7" barrel as the entire barrel rack is damn near empty, theres a problem.  I dont want to imagine whats going on in the retail deviision anymore than i do as i do now, as i dont want to work in retail. Ive been there, done that spent 20 years getting an education hoping i dont have to do that agian.  If what i speculate from the outside is not whats going on on the inside how big a shitshow is it in the inside?  

again, with the source.  who says i have one, two , 10, or just stand in the store looking at items watching people come out crying.. who knows.  perhaps retail isnt a career they should be in knowing that fact.  God knows i didnt want to live in that environment so i quit.  Granted runnign dollar stores, c-stores, and auto parts stores is a little different than running a gun store.

i wish i knew which source you were talkign about. perhaps if you gave me a name i'd tell them to contact you if this source of mine has an arfcom, as i cant really even remember yours now, other than you were once high up at psa. Look man, you know i love PSA as its my home team, the local boys the palmetto team and i am if nothing more a giant patriot of the palmetto state and want nothing more thanfor it to succed and have the best stores and biggest chains possible, but it really seems like its confusing as to what it wants to do, be and how to get there. their website has 80% of shit out of stock, and when its in stock it may have multiple adds for different prices for the same items, and when you find items you cant find them in stores, and when you do they dont have the right prices on them... and etc etc.etc.  
View Quote
There was only one person from the Fernandina store that left and that was the Store Manager and he resigned for his own reasons. The other three people DID NOT work at the Fernandina store. They DID NOT work in any store in particular. I'm not going to play this cloak and dagger BS. We both know who your sources are. I know two for a fact (one knows how to get ahold of me and the other could find out how VERY easily) and one doesn't even work in retail so his information (or any information he may bring home and it makes its way to you) is from the outside looking in. That said, both of these sources are limited in what they know because of their pay grade, if you will. Regardless, it's both irresponsible and disrespectful of you to spread inaccurate information, incorrect information and/or half truths. People I care about lost their jobs and still other people I care about are without leadership and/or answers and their every day is now filled with uncertainty so this is no time to audition for TMZ by "breaking a story." All your doing is proliferating BS. As far as your "shit show" comment, any good leader knows (or should know) your people are reflections of your leaders. Padding your bank account should be the result of properly formatted and properly executed plans and goals. It should never be the lone goal itself. I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I take it the "temp" location still does not have a biz license?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I take it the "temp" location still does not have a biz license?
View Quote
Temp location was up and running on Friday. They’re calling it the magnolia location. Pretty small store, but they did have your typical Farrow rd. Selection, lots of stripped lowers, build kits, etc. no NFA stuff though. They were running 149.99 uppers too, didn’t see anything that tickled my fancy, but plenty of folks were snatching them up like candy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Temp location was up and running on Friday. They’re calling it the magnolia location. Pretty small store, but they did have your typical Farrow rd. Selection, lots of stripped lowers, build kits, etc. no NFA stuff though. They were running 149.99 uppers too, didn’t see anything that tickled my fancy, but plenty of folks were snatching them up like candy.
View Quote
Since LAST FRIDAY???!!!!!

I might try to make it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
No $149 uppers left when I went in Monday.  No big sign out front, you just have to see the stickers on the windows.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since LAST FRIDAY???!!!!!

I might try to make it tomorrow.  
View Quote
Yeah, they announced on Facebook and I noticed by chance as I was doing some investigating on my cans that were purchased from Farrow rd. In a nutshell? I picked one up Friday and am still waiting on the other... 24 October 2016 purchase...

Expect a clone of Farrow rd and you’ll be impressed. Expect an upgrade and you might leave disappointed
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I went today. They had most of what I was looking for but no EPT's.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Any word on Top Nails, Fashion World, the BBQ-Seafood Emporium, or the Indulgence Lounge that appear in Google Maps in the same shopping strip?

Just wondering if the local color is worth the visit for no uppers.

Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Well they have some guns and parts- depends on what you need.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
There is some sort of store on the other side called "JD's Hair Weave Extension Emporium" or some other such name. .

As mentioned it's pretty much a clone of the old Farrow store which is fine with me. The "wall of parts" is now the "triangular wire rack of parts" and has less inventory but I found what I needed except for the EPT which was ordered online.

I didn't see any piles of uppers on pallets.

The Clemson/Hardscrabble Road traffic is as sucky as ever and it's been about 20 years since I was last in that area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, people's desire to avoid the disastrous traffic in that part of town is my biggest concern for that store (and the new one when it opens).

Everything about the store will be fine as long as the corporate brain trust's philosophy of "if it ain't broke, break it" doesn't get in JD's (and his team) way and keeps them from doing what they know how to do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was only one person from the Fernandina store that left and that was the Store Manager and he resigned for his own reasons. The other three people DID NOT work at the Fernandina store. They DID NOT work in any store in particular. I'm not going to play this cloak and dagger BS. We both know who your sources are. I know two for a fact (one knows how to get ahold of me and the other could find out how VERY easily) and one doesn't even work in retail so his information (or any information he may bring home and it makes its way to you) is from the outside looking in. That said, both of these sources are limited in what they know because of their pay grade, if you will. Regardless, it's both irresponsible and disrespectful of you to spread inaccurate information, incorrect information and/or half truths. People I care about lost their jobs and still other people I care about are without leadership and/or answers and their every day is now filled with uncertainty so this is no time to audition for TMZ by "breaking a story." All your doing is proliferating BS. As far as your "shit show" comment, any good leader knows (or should know) your people are reflections of your leaders. Padding your bank account should be the result of properly formatted and properly executed plans and goals. It should never be the lone goal itself. I'll leave it at that.
View Quote
as i was out of the us mainland for a couple weeks i havent been on here and a lot has happened with the new Farrow aka Magnolia as its opened.  Its a beautiful mini-store and i  hope and pray for the new store to be built soon as i like its possibilities.  I do wonder about the location.  I wonder why it wasnt closer to sandhills.  I would think more business could be picked up if it were at sandhills, or closer to I77 in all of that empty land that the new "mall" was supposed to go in years ago.

As for fern.  Splitting hairs really.  I dont like, as i mentioned before, anyone to loose their job.  I do personally think that cleaning house was needed.  I have nothing against the old manager, or any of his team, like i said my only beef i had with him was his bad advice on an inter-state gun sale i asked him about.  Luckily i got better advice and did the paperwork through farrow.  LoL at cloak and dagger. You started that with me back when you were a company man. But i digress... lets move on. its a tragedy that they lost their jobs, hopefully it helps fernandina move to a better place for  the store it is size and personnel wise thus boosting sales to high heaven.   We do agree again upon the reflections of the leaders, and by that we both are talking about outside the stores being Upper managment at the company and conglomerate of JJE.

You must remember i am a PSA Cheerleader at heart. I love anything Palmetto State, and that includes Jamin's Palmetto State Armory gun company.

Back to Magnolia.

As i mentioned the store is a micro store, it makes Rigeland look big, but its got the same good folks as farrow, and its got a lot of their good stock that we builders love and need and usually cannot find anywhere else.  the gun cases are full as are the wall racks, shop on!! I may even drop in with my cane and brace on black friday tomorrow.  that is if i can get out of the house without too much pain.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, people's desire to avoid the disastrous traffic in that part of town is my biggest concern for that store (and the new one when it opens).

Everything about the store will be fine as long as the corporate brain trust's philosophy of "if it ain't broke, break it" doesn't get in JD's (and his team) way and keeps them from doing what they know how to do.
View Quote
i agree. and that is one thing why i can see that they dontopt for a location near sandhills.  However i think sales would be better if they did.  or at least closer to I77.

I have found the easiest way to get there with the least amount of traffic issues is straight up 77, get off on *killian road* and go till you hit the Magnolia Pointe Shopping center at the clemson intersection.

2 lanes each direction that way.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i agree. and that is one thing why i can see that they dontopt for a location near sandhills.  However i think sales would be better if they did.  or at least closer to I77.

I have found the easiest way to get there with the least amount of traffic issues is straight up 77, get off on hard scrabble Killian Road Exit and go till you hit the Magnolia Pointe Shopping center at the clemson intersection.

2 lanes each direction that way.  
View Quote
FIFY. There is no direct access to Hardscrabble Road from the interstate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FIFY. There is no direct access to Hardscrabble Road from the interstate.
View Quote
my bad i always get hard scrabble confused with killian.

killian is what i meant.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

as i was out of the us mainland for a couple weeks i havent been on here and a lot has happened with the new Farrow aka Magnolia as its opened.  Its a beautiful mini-store and i  hope and pray for the new store to be built soon as i like its possibilities.  I do wonder about the location.  I wonder why it wasnt closer to sandhills.  I would think more business could be picked up if it were at sandhills, or closer to I77 in all of that empty land that the new "mall" was supposed to go in years ago.

As for fern.  Splitting hairs really.  I dont like, as i mentioned before, anyone to loose their job.  I do personally think that cleaning house was needed.  I have nothing against the old manager, or any of his team, like i said my only beef i had with him was his bad advice on an inter-state gun sale i asked him about.  Luckily i got better advice and did the paperwork through farrow.  LoL at cloak and dagger. You started that with me back when you were a company man. But i digress... lets move on. its a tragedy that they lost their jobs, hopefully it helps fernandina move to a better place for  the store it is size and personnel wise thus boosting sales to high heaven.   We do agree again upon the reflections of the leaders, and by that we both are talking about outside the stores being Upper managment at the company and conglomerate of JJE.

You must remember i am a PSA Cheerleader at heart. I love anything Palmetto State, and that includes Jamin's Palmetto State Armory gun company.
View Quote
While you call it "splitting hairs," the rest of the world calls it getting your facts straight. I realize it's not totally your fault because you were getting your information from people that had no insight or access to the actual facts...outside looking in, if you will. Since we're talking about getting facts straight, the Store Manager that resigned is actually back in Fernandina. Not sure how that played out but he is back...but I'm sure your sources are on top of that earth shattering news too.

Bottom line GCO, you say what you think was/is "needed" but in all actuality you have no clue what is needed or why things happened the way they did and neither do your sources. I know it goes against human nature, but if people would steer clear of things they have no clue about or business being involved in, there would be less half-assed and flat out false information out there.

In life, we all face adversities. Sadly, some people's first instinct is to look outward in an attempt to "fix" things when what they really need to do first is take a long hard look in the mirror and address their own issues and shortcomings that are within arms reach. This issue is only made worse when we blindly listen to the misinformed/uninformed voices of others in our ear that have, shall we say, less than noble motives.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
During our visit to the Magnolia store earlier this afternoon we went over to the old Piggy Wiggly and took a look through the windows (without licking them) to see what sort of progress had been made inside.

Really didn't see anything to suggest any sort of work is going on am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While you call it "splitting hairs," the rest of the world calls it getting your facts straight. I realize it's not totally your fault because you were getting your information from people that had no insight or access to the actual facts...outside looking in, if you will. Since we're talking about getting facts straight, the Store Manager that resigned is actually back in Fernandina. Not sure how that played out but he is back...but I'm sure your sources are on top of that earth shattering news too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Again we'll disagree. I can see that my attempt to diffuse the thread /post above failed.  You dont know all the people i talk to, you dont know who if any folks are my "sources"  You used to be one if you recall back when you used to work there.. again *used to work there*  As for my insight, some is self deduced, some is told directly, some is common sense and public domain.  I'd have to say you're too close to the folks to see the problems from a customers standpoint versus from a friends stand point.

If Chet is back at fern, good for him.  Like i said, the only issue i had with him is the bad advice he gave me about selling a rifle to someone out of state. basic information that most gun store managers should have been able to tell me the right thing to do.  He coulda wound me up in a lot of legal issues if i had listened to him and it went south.  Luckily i didnt feel comfortable with his advice, so i called another store and got alternate advice, and help.

Quoted:
Bottom line GCO, you say what you think was/is "needed" but in all actuality you have no clue what is needed or why things happened the way they did and neither do your sources. I know it goes against human nature, but if people would steer clear of things they have no clue about or business being involved in, there would be less half-assed and flat out false information out there.
I say what i want to because its america, im a fan of anything South Carolina and because i can.   Bottom line is archer maybe you do more damage than you help? for a long time your attitude has been less than positive on the forums.  I find your steer clear statement oddly ironic, as the same could be said about you since you are no longer employed there.  but i digress.

Quoted:
In life, we all face adversities. Sadly, some people's first instinct is to look outward in an attempt to "fix" things when what they really need to do first is take a long hard look in the mirror and address their own issues and shortcomings that are within arms reach. This issue is only made worse when we blindly listen to the misinformed/uninformed voices of others in our ear that have, shall we say, less than noble motives.
we can agree here, perhaps thats what chet was doing in his personal life, when he quit and came back since you say he's back now.

im not sure what youre getting at about the less than noble motives, however i think that youre statement is meant to do nothing but stir the pot.  I am  a supporter of PSA, always have been, and for now always will be, although upper management did have a conflict with me once that almost made me walk away.  This is a discussion forum, i discuss things.  maybe im right, maybe im wrong, maybe folks listen to me, maybe they dont, doesnt really matter. I'm here for fun, love of the hobby, and discussion of my favorite products/stores/companies in the industry.  I expect people do the same.  If PSA wants to fix rumors about products, stores, or personell thats up to them to do on their time, and theyre welcome to do it.  Id imagine they have a marketing director, and hopefully a social network director to assist with these media based situations.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
During our visit to the Magnolia store earlier this afternoon we went over to the old Piggy Wiggly and took a look through the windows (without licking them) to see what sort of progress had been made inside.

Really didn't see anything to suggest any sort of work is going on am I mistaken?
View Quote
the rumors im hearing man, are that they are still trying to purchase/ negotiate the lease / whatever you wanna call it to get into the location, so at this time *NO* work has been done on the ol pig store. Sadly this is way behind what i had expected it to have been, i had thought they had the property secured before they even left farrow, but alas, its not so.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's a website which gives you an overview of the property which is a lot larger than in Summerville:

http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?tag=magnolia-pointe

And unlike Summerville the property is not empty. About 50% of the storefronts are still occupied. It's a once nice but now seedy-looking large shopping center with partial occupancy by businesses that generally serve and attract low-income customers. It's in an area with extreme traffic congestion located away from direct access from the interstate.

As it is the new temp store works but it would work just about anywhere. There are hundreds of vacant storefront properties on the North-Northeast end of Columbia where such a store would generate foot traffic. That, and the overhead is small compared to a superstore.

To be frank, I am having trouble understanding why PSA finds this property attractive for anything more than what's there now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's a website which gives you an overview of the property which is a lot larger than in Summerville:

http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?tag=magnolia-pointe

And unlike Summerville the property is not empty. About 50% of the storefronts are still occupied. It's a once nice but now seedy-looking large shopping center with partial occupancy by businesses that generally serve and attract low-income customers. It's in an area with extreme traffic congestion located away from direct access from the interstate.

As it is the new temp store works but it would work just about anywhere. There are hundreds of vacant storefront properties on the North-Northeast end of Columbia where such a store would generate foot traffic. That, and the overhead is small compared to a superstore.

To be frank, I am having trouble understanding why PSA finds this property attractive for anything more than what's there now.
View Quote
Pont, your last line there.. exactly where i am at.

to be in the northeast for the northeasts sake is about the only thing i can think of.

From what i do know though, its VERY expensive to build from the ground up, and actually own the building pay for it to be built etc.  And also to date it has been counter to PSA's history to think of building from the ground up, so i dont see that happening, and that may be why they chose this location.

Ideally to me, putting something up off of Sandhills, (I20/clemson road area) or I77 and Killian where the store like fernandina is visable by sinage from the interstate would be the way to go.  That said, because they dont build from the ground up due to cost or whatever, could be the very reason they dont go into those to areas that i stated just now.  I dont think theres a ton of things vacant around there, and if there are in sandhills i cant imagine how high the lease would be on that type of facility.  Also getting a range to be approved inside the sandhills complex would be a feat for the gods i think.  So because of the lack of properties they could renovate and lease, and the costs to me explain why they wont go in to those two areas sadly, even if they would generate the best amount of traffic in my opinion.

As for the area they're at now being seedy or what not, I dont know.  I know very little about the northeast side of town as i dont live over there. the shopping center itself to me looked well kept, although there were some vacant storefronts.  At no time did i feel unsafe, or worry about safety.  I did notice a shift in the type of persons that were browsing, but that is called profiling and is not something i like to do.

where do you think would be  a better location? perhaps JJE is working a few prospective locations at once?

Whatever the location ends up being, i want it to be successful, immensely successful.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Location, location, location?

Magnolia seems to be located midway between between 77 and 20, albeit slightly closer to 77.  Hardscrabble likely offered the best location for the money.  I doubt anything more equidistant between 77 and 20 was not either available, re-developable, or cheap.  Being truly in the middle puts you in the Sandhills area with the associated bump up in rents.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#24]
The cost of building a free-standing structure would be off the reservation and yes, there would be no way that Sandhills would allow an indoor range. I was looking at this from a perspective that there was a possibility that the entire Magnolia Pointe Center would be purchased outright.

Using Google Maps I look a virtual drive around the Killian Road area as I am not familiar with it. Unfortunately, too "new" which translates to "too expensive". And Blythewood is too far North.

"Seedy-looking" may have been too strong a term. "Somewhat run down" would have been better. In terms of vehicles parked it appears that the PSA store is bringing in the most traffic because that shopping center is all but dead.

The shopping center where Lawmens Safety Supply is located? Yeah, that's seedy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Again we'll disagree. I can see that my attempt to diffuse the thread /post above failed.  You dont know all the people i talk to, you dont know who if any folks are my "sources"  You used to be one if you recall back when you used to work there.. again *used to work there*  As for my insight, some is self deduced, some is told directly, some is common sense and public domain.  I'd have to say you're too close to the folks to see the problems from a customers standpoint versus from a friends stand point.

If Chet is back at fern, good for him.  Like i said, the only issue i had with him is the bad advice he gave me about selling a rifle to someone out of state. basic information that most gun store managers should have been able to tell me the right thing to do.  He coulda wound me up in a lot of legal issues if i had listened to him and it went south.  Luckily i didnt feel comfortable with his advice, so i called another store and got alternate advice, and help.

I say what i want to because its america, im a fan of anything South Carolina and because i can.   Bottom line is archer maybe you do more damage than you help? for a long time your attitude has been less than positive on the forums.  I find your steer clear statement oddly ironic, as the same could be said about you since you are no longer employed there.  but i digress.

we can agree here, perhaps thats what chet was doing in his personal life, when he quit and came back since you say he's back now.

im not sure what youre getting at about the less than noble motives, however i think that youre statement is meant to do nothing but stir the pot.  I am  a supporter of PSA, always have been, and for now always will be, although upper management did have a conflict with me once that almost made me walk away.  This is a discussion forum, i discuss things.  maybe im right, maybe im wrong, maybe folks listen to me, maybe they dont, doesnt really matter. I'm here for fun, love of the hobby, and discussion of my favorite products/stores/companies in the industry.  I expect people do the same.  If PSA wants to fix rumors about products, stores, or personell thats up to them to do on their time, and theyre welcome to do it.  Id imagine they have a marketing director, and hopefully a social network director to assist with these media based situations.
View Quote
It's your story, GCO, so you can tell it anyway you want to. Be warned though. I am the kind of person that likes to say "I told you so." It'll be clear when that time comes. Fanboy on, my good man.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Magnolia seems to be located midway between between 77 and 20, albeit slightly closer to 77.  Hardscrabble likely offered the best location for the money.  I doubt anything more equidistant between 77 and 20 was not either available, re-developable, or cheap.  Being truly in the middle puts you in the Sandhills area with the associated bump up in rents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

very true.  Just makes it hard to drum up a lot of foot traffic, where as being in a empty building at sandhills, well that would generate a ton more so to speak.

Quoted:
The cost of building a free-standing structure would be off the reservation and yes, there would be no way that Sandhills would allow an indoor range. I was looking at this from a perspective that there was a possibility that the entire Magnolia Pointe Center would be purchased outright.

Using Google Maps I look a virtual drive around the Killian Road area as I am not familiar with it. Unfortunately, too "new" which translates to "too expensive". And Blythewood is too far North.

"Seedy-looking" may have been too strong a term. "Somewhat run down" would have been better. In terms of vehicles parked it appears that the PSA store is bringing in the most traffic because that shopping center is all but dead.

The shopping center where Lawmens Safety Supply is located? Yeah, that's seedy.
you may be right Pont, knowing JJE and the growth theyve been doing it wouldnt surprise me one bit. I dont know if they buy or are leasing.

i'm only familliar with the area slightly, as behind that Mc Donalds there is one of my PHUSCMG group clinics that i help support the IT of.  I havent done the drive around on google maps, but maybe i should.  The whole area is definately growing fast, and i can imagine the cost will be doing the same.

Agreed on the old lawmens supply center.. that definately is seedy.lol.

I can see how the new PSA little store is bringing in the most traffic.. that and JD's hair supply.  Man that guy got it good, runs a kick ass gun store and  has his own hair supply to take care of that full head of hair...
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's your story, GCO, so you can tell it anyway you want to. Be warned though. I am the kind of person that likes to say "I told you so." It'll be clear when that time comes. Fanboy on, my good man.
View Quote
I have no problem with admitting when im wrong. its part of what helps a person grow and learn, is trying and failing, or being wrong and learning from it.  Same with being right though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to see the Magnolia location start stocking some Strike Industries products if nothing more than their charging handles and dust covers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd like to see the Magnolia location start stocking some Strike Industries products if nothing more than their charging handles and dust covers.
View Quote
yeah that would be nice. i'd like a good bit of more varieties.

that would mean that PSA would have to run a truck to stock them though.  smh...
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

that would mean that PSA would have to run a truck to stock them though.  smh...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I stopped by Magnolia (again) during rush hour traffic last week.  It took me longer to get out of the shopping center than I spent in the store.  It's no wonder that center is dying since everyone learns quickly to only shop there during off hours.   All they need is a traffic light at the hardscrabble entrance/exit.

I asked store guy about upcoming sales on lowers or LPK's.  He said to just watch the webpage.  Came here to the EE and ordered a LPK from Pete @ Legal Transfers then I checked the PSA website.  Dammit!  They had just put up a LPK with MOE stock and grip for $99 I HAD to order.   So now with a spare LPK, I'm going to be forced to buy another lower.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I stopped by Magnolia (again) during rush hour traffic last week.  It took me longer to get out of the shopping center than I spent in the store.  It's no wonder that center is dying since everyone learns quickly to only shop there during off hours.   All they need is a traffic light at the hardscrabble entrance/exit.

I asked store guy about upcoming sales on lowers or LPK's.  He said to just watch the webpage.  Came here to the EE and ordered a LPK from Pete @ Legal Transfers then I checked the PSA website.  Dammit!  They had just put up a LPK with MOE stock and grip for $99 I HAD to order.   So now with a spare LPK, I'm going to be forced to buy another lower.
View Quote
yeah ive noticed how hard it is to even turn right out of there onto clemson/killian folks just dont want you to be in front of them coming out of the center. i dont get it.

yeah, thats how they get you with the LPk's and buy another lower, then its an upper stripped, then your in a vicious cycle
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#33]
While I was in there yesterday afternoon I had a chance to talk with JD about the store the big changes about to start very soon.

BTW he also said the food at "Ten Ten" next door (Vietnamese) is excellent esp. the $5 bahn mi.

I got some excellent tech info from the asst. mgr? (the other guy with shaved head) about AR pistol muzzle devices. I expressed interest in an SI "Cookie Cutter" which he owns. He offered a test drive at the Swansea range sometime in the future. Sweet.

and of course I always enjoy Carrie's excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#34]
The place with the sign out front that says something like "Our Pho is best Phoo!"  

Stopped in to try and get one of the $39 lowers.  Counter guy said he would honor net price if he had any. He sold out in two hours last Wednesday. Called main store to get a couple more cases Wednesday and nothing from them yet.  See, they're even slow with their own stores.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The place with the sign out front that says something like "Our Pho is best Phoo!"  

Stopped in to try and get one of the $39 lowers.  Counter guy said he would honor net price if he had any. He sold out in two hours last Wednesday. Called main store to get a couple more cases Wednesday and nothing from them yet.  See, they're even slow with their own stores.
View Quote
it would help if theyd run a truck to their store ... but i digress..

those 39 buck lowers are nice. good quality for their new in house machined lowers.  I am pleased.

I'm hoping to go see the bearded oracle of Magnolia soon. I have a specific thing to purchase if all goes well here soon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Supply/ Restocking the stores has seemed to be a problem. During my Creedmoor build I couldn't get a rifle buffer tube at either Columbia store. Old Farrow crew had tried to get restocked for a while and warehouse wasn't sending them. It appears that the website gets priority with warehouse stock, and whats left gets rationed to the brick and mortar shops. Despite all the company growth, Logistics still seems to be the thorn in the foot for them.

I was in the new shop 2 weeks ago and didn't catch his name but the tall guy with the shaved head was pretty cool, great addition to the shop, and knowledgeable on current gun trends. Nelson was being Nelson as usual ( wish him luck in his new endeavor), and couple of new people I didn't know/meet yet. I hope upper management has an epiphany and finds a better location as this one is difficult to navigate in and out of and has no presence from the road (if they go ahead with rumored plans at that location I don't see them single handily revitalizing that shopping center.... range or not).  Not trying to piss in someone's cornflakes but I think PSA/JJE's investment of resources and time would be better served on a more viable location that would yield a better return in the long run for everybody.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's another vote in the "crappy location that doesn't make sense" box.  Not even going to bother trying to understand their corporate decisions, not worth my time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I hope upper management has an epiphany and finds a better location as this one is difficult to navigate in and out of and has no presence from the road (if they go ahead with rumored plans at that location I don't see them single handily revitalizing that shopping center.... range or not).  Not trying to piss in someone's cornflakes but I think PSA/JJE's investment of resources and time would be better served on a more viable location that would yield a better return in the long run for everybody.
View Quote
Agreed. Why would they want to be a landlord for the other businesses in that shopping center?

Last time I was there was around 3:00 in the pm. Making that left turn out of the shopping center and onto Hardscrabble Road was an unnerving experience.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agreed. Why would they want to be a landlord for the other businesses in that shopping center?

Last time I was there was around 3:00 in the pm. Making that left turn out of the shopping center and onto Hardscrabble Road was an unnerving experience.
View Quote
preaching to the choir brother(s) but we're not part of this decision making system.  I'd still say near sandhills or an interstate prescence. maybe closer to 77 and the car dealerships? but you'd have to build new and that is exponentially more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Not seeing much movement with the "permanent" Magnolia location. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#42]
No movement at Magnolia and now JD transfers to Fernandina (home of the Fudds as some of you have complained). Hmmm.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
last i heard they were negotiating the buy/lease of the building.

Quoted:
No movement at Magnolia and now JD transfers to Fernandina (home of the Fudds as some of you have complained). Hmmm.....
I'm happy with the transfer to fernandina, im happy for jd, and hope they pay him more than chetters was making, as in my opinion he deserves it with his knowledge and proven commitment to customer service in my opinion. Besides, he has such a kick ass beard.

Since JD is now taking over Fern, I dont suppose the fudds will be fudds much longer. Education and proper customer service will take the forefront, and i think we're in for a good transformation.  Now pull Casey out of Archery range and give him a proper management position, and Fern is rockin its way to awesome sauce.

All that to say, I dont want Magnolia to be an after thought.  I absolutely love most of the Magnolia staff, as they are top notch folks as well.  I do hope that PSA continues to persue a location for a range on the NE side, even if its not in the existing magnolia location shopping center. A nice new range up on the N.E. Side of town owned by PSA would be a great thing for everyone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#44]
JD's a good man and I'm glad Jamin is putting him in charge at Fernandina even if it means I have to drive 20 miles farther to do business with him.

I have seen many store managers come and go at Farrow over the years... there is a reason JD has served the longest and is still rocking.

He has his work cut out for him restoring customer service at Fernandina but I have no doubt he will do it; nobody does a better job at making their customers feel like family than JD.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

last i heard they were negotiating the buy/lease of the building.

I'm happy with the transfer to fernandina, im happy for jd, and hope they pay him more than chetters was making, as in my opinion he deserves it with his knowledge and proven commitment to customer service in my opinion. Besides, he has such a kick ass beard.

Since JD is now taking over Fern, I dont suppose the fudds will be fudds much longer. Education and proper customer service will take the forefront, and i think we're in for a good transformation.  Now pull Casey out of Archery range and give him a proper management position, and Fern is rockin its way to awesome sauce.

All that to say, I dont want Magnolia to be an after thought.  I absolutely love most of the Magnolia staff, as they are top notch folks as well.  I do hope that PSA continues to persue a location for a range on the NE side, even if its not in the existing magnolia location shopping center. A nice new range up on the N.E. Side of town owned by PSA would be a great thing for everyone.
View Quote
Casey hasn't worked on the archery range for quite some time. He's been working as part of the range (firearms) crew. That said, when he was part of the store staff (store staff is separate from range staff) and working in the archery department, he held a Management/Lead position. Sometimes excelling in a management/lead role is a matter of timing and it didn't work for Casey at that time. Maybe things will be different this time if JD so chooses to make that move with Casey. Sadly, the success of the Fernandina store (or any PSA retail store for that matter) won't rest solely on the shoulders of JD (or each store's respective store manager). They will need the support of whoever is running the Retail Division now and the company as a whole. It takes considerably more money and effort to make a dollar in a retail environment versus an e-commerce environment. Each respective environment also requires a different business mentality/acumen. I have spoken with JD and congratulated him on his promotion. He's well aware of the challenges that are ahead of him and I have no doubt he and his team will meet those challenges head on.

Also, the former Store Manager's name is Chet, not "chetters." Don't say anything about him we all know you wouldn't say to him.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
JD's a good man and I'm glad Jamin is putting him in charge at Fernandina even if it means I have to drive 20 miles farther to do business with him.

I have seen many store managers come and go at Farrow over the years... there is a reason JD has served the longest and is still rocking.

He has his work cut out for him restoring customer service at Fernandina but I have no doubt he will do it; nobody does a better job at making their customers feel like family than JD.
View Quote
very well said, and i feel exactly the same about having his work cut out but being up to the job.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Casey hasn't worked on the archery range for quite some time. He's been working as part of the range (firearms) crew. That said, when he was part of the store staff (store staff is separate from range staff) and working in the archery department, he held a Management/Lead position. Sometimes excelling in a management/lead role is a matter of timing and it didn't work for Casey at that time. Maybe things will be different this time if JD so chooses to make that move with Casey. Sadly, the success of the Fernandina store (or any PSA retail store for that matter) won't rest solely on the shoulders of JD (or each store's respective store manager). They will need the support of whoever is running the Retail Division now and the company as a whole. It takes considerably more money and effort to make a dollar in a retail environment versus an e-commerce environment. Each respective environment also requires a different business mentality/acumen. I have spoken with JD and congratulated him on his promotion. He's well aware of the challenges that are ahead of him and I have no doubt he and his team will meet those challenges head on.

Also, the former Store Manager's name is Chet, not "chetters." Don't say anything about him we all know you wouldn't say to him.
View Quote
yeah i'm aware of when he left archery to floor lead and then to range.  I didnt mean to have typed archery there, as i meant the main rifle/pistol range but lack of sleep and being on my medication sometimes makes my posts type things... its sad when you get more money for being a range master with less responsibility.  I do hope the best for him and a better management role for him, if thats what he aspires to do.  He's a good dude and certainly knows his stuff.

I think its not just the store manager, or the retail division manager along with the store manager.  It also is the people on the staff in the store following the lead of the manager and changing the culture to that of  one of a customer service oriented team that wants to do  whats right for the store and company as a whole.  i agree totally he will meant the challenges head on.  I believe he'll do a great job, and things will get better for fern as a whole.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#48]
How is JD going to run his hair extension shop from Fernandina?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How is JD going to run his hair extension shop from Fernandina?
View Quote
He could always move it to one of the nearby seedy shopping centers....St. Andrews or Broad River road.

Encountered quite a few fudds at both shops recently, they were more interested in fingering the merch. vs helping customers
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Encountered quite a few fudds at both shops recently, they were more interested in fingering the merch. vs helping customers
View Quote
I never considered any of the sales associated to be "fudds" (some customers? Yes).

True that JD by himself cannot "cure" the store's ills by himself. He can certainly deal with sales associated who are lazy, who prefer to stand behind the counter and jawjack with each other vs. help customers or who have a snotty attitude (I've encountered this at both stores) but he cannot singlehandedly change the culture nor stock the shelves with stuff that's continually not available.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top