Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
there is a little pull out up the road past the day use area a couple miles.  it has a pretty steep hill for a back drop and about 100 yards of shooting.

i use it for pistol and close in rifle work. though.   I have it stored in my GPS.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Have to check it out. Back in my younger days I used to camp up their and ride dirt bike before they brought in the rangers to guard the place. I seem to remember plinkin' up their with a friend one time. I wonder if it's a Tannerite friendly place?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a place farther up that I can never seem to find that would be ok.  WAY the hell back in there.  

The place I have been shooting is pretty public - convenient (I drove my mitsubishie eclipse up there) but I don't think blowing things up would be looked upon favorably.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Went to the beach today. We didn't go to Seattle after all. One the way stopped by the quarry and it looks like it's open for shooting again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2004 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you guys ever shoot down in scappoose?  Its closer than browns camp or jones creek and no 4 wheelers to worry about.  I never thought of even looking in this forum for people to shoot with but i go up there when i can we just had another baby so it might be spring till i can go.  I have 2 bushies and love to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 1:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot Jones Creek quite often.  Once you get far enoungh out you are lucky if you see a 3 or 4 wheeler.  Great place to shoot.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]
No car = not much shooting

Link Posted: 1/12/2004 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pondering trying to get stuck in an attempt to get to Brown's Camp tomorrow.  If I do go, and I get home alive, I'll post a status report (maybe some pics too).

wyrm
Link Posted: 1/13/2004 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to go yesterday but there was somebody loading some heavy equipment onto a flatbed blocking the road in. The road looked to be passable in a 4x. Jones creek is iffy, a truck with better AT tires could get around ok.

Link Posted: 1/15/2004 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, made it up to the quarry today. Still alot of snow, no place to park unless you got a tall rig. Gonna be awhile before all the stuff melts. Stayed long enough to put about a hundred rounds through my new MKII and followed this guy out.

And when I die let me die
With a dream in my mind
A smile on my face and no trouble behind
And no cross on my grave
To show my restin' place

Link Posted: 1/23/2004 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you guys ever shoot down in scappoose?  Its closer than browns camp or jones creek and no 4 wheelers to worry about.  I never thought of even looking in this forum for people to shoot with but i go up there when i can we just had another baby so it might be spring till i can go.  I have 2 bushies and love to shoot.

Where at in Scappoose?  I'm in St Helens.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are RVing up in NW Oregon, there is a little town in Columbia County called Vernonia.  It is on Hwy. 47, about 15 miles north of Hwy. 26, and about 40 miles NW of Portland as the crow flies.  In Vernonia, you will find Anderson Park alongside the Nehalem River.  The park has RV space rentals & hookups, and a grocery store two blocks away.  You will see a narrow bridge across the river with a sign that says "The Sword Place".  That goes to the farm owned by the Sword family, which has owned that property since the late 1800s.  They have set up a covered shooting position with a 100 yard target spot that free for whomever wants to use it.  So if you are crusing out toward Scapoose or Astoria in your RV, you might want to take Hwy. 47 and stop for the day in Vernonia.
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to play the ignorant immigrant, but which, if any, of these is 30 min to an hour outside of Salem?
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
l:

Check out these guys....

The Four Corners Rod & Gun Club
Link Posted: 2/12/2004 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
l:

Check out these guys....

The Four Corners Rod & Gun Club

Thanks!

I'll have to look into these guys this summer.

I would still love to find a place where I can shoot for free, but this is definitely a start.
Link Posted: 2/13/2004 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]

l:
"I would still love to find a place where I can shoot for free."

First, contact the Marion County Sheriff's Office and ask which areas of the county are open for shooting.

http://sheriff.co.marion.or.us/phone.asp
-----

You might also check out nearby National Forests.  Willamette National Forest is to the east a ways, on the western slope of the Cascades.  Call them, and they can tell you which areas are open for shooting.  The Ranger Stations sometimes have maps with this info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/general/offices/index.html
-----

The Siuslaw National Forest is west of Salem, along the coast.  That is farther away, nearly an hour drive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/contact/
-----

You may also want to find out about getting an Oregon CCW permit.

http://sheriff.co.marion.or.us/conceal.asp
-----

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

l:
"I would still love to find a place where I can shoot for free."

First, contact the Marion County Sheriff's Office and ask which areas of the county are open for shooting.

http://sheriff.co.marion.or.us/phone.asp
-----

You might also check out nearby National Forests.  Willamette National Forest is to the east a ways, on the western slope of the Cascades.  Call them, and they can tell you which areas are open for shooting.  The Ranger Stations sometimes have maps with this info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/general/offices/index.html
-----

The Siuslaw National Forest is west of Salem, along the coast.  That is farther away, nearly an hour drive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/contact/
-----

You may also want to find out about getting an Oregon CCW permit.

http://sheriff.co.marion.or.us/conceal.asp
-----

Hope that helps.

It does indeed.

I'll have to buy you a beer this summer :)

As to the CCW, I've heard through the grapevine that they (Polk country) will issue a CCW pretty easily since I'm already a Colorado CCW holder.
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
l:

"I'll have to buy you a beer this summer :) "
I doubt I will still be living in this state by then. :(
----------

"As to the CCW, I've heard through the grapevine that they (Polk country) will issue a CCW pretty easily since I'm already a Colorado CCW holder."
I showed the Sheriffs Department people (different county that you are moving to) a CCW course completion certificate from Nevada when I moved to Oregon, and they said that was fine.  They required no additional classes.  I have moved twice within the state since then, and the other two Sheriffs Departments were also satisfied with that.

It seems that Salem is in Marion County (it is the county seat), but West Salem is in Polk County.  So which Sheriffs Department you go to for your CCW permit depends on which side of town you live on.
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
any safety class will work for CCW...  hell, hunter's safety will work.  

Doesn't need to be a specific CCW class.
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
l:

"I'll have to buy you a beer this summer :) "
I doubt I will still be living in this state by then. :(
----------

"As to the CCW, I've heard through the grapevine that they (Polk country) will issue a CCW pretty easily since I'm already a Colorado CCW holder."
I showed the Sheriffs Department people (different county that you are moving to) a CCW course completion certificate from Nevada when I moved to Oregon, and they said that was fine.  They required no additional classes.  I have moved twice within the state since then, and the other two Sheriffs Departments were also satisfied with that.

It seems that Salem is in Marion County (it is the county seat), but West Salem is in Polk County.  So which Sheriffs Department you go to for your CCW permit depends on which side of town you live on.

West Salem.

Good luck on the future.
Link Posted: 5/25/2004 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#21]
my folks recently moved to Yoncalla onto a fairly nice piece of land.  Any local spots in the surrounding areas that are open to "public" range sessions?  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks.. E
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I've heard that the BLM and such are no longer allowing target shooting, how about Forest Service land? Mary's Peak is somewhat close to me here in Corvallis, and I need a good (free) place to expend some rounds...
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know about down there but up here in the coast range between  Forest Grove and Tillamook if it ain't gated or posted you can shoot on it. And believe me I've dumped alot of lead up here. I have seen some areas like Jones Creek where they don't want you shooting where the ATVer's are riding and it's posted but by Brown's Camp they don't seem to care if we shoot them. (But we do have a big quarry there so we're not shooting across the trails.)

Bang
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've heard that the BLM and such are no longer allowing target shooting, how about Forest Service land? Mary's Peak is somewhat close to me here in Corvallis, and I need a good (free) place to expend some rounds...

yo, I'm a Corvallis resident

Most of the shooting I do is done on logging trails in the general vicinity of Mary's Peak, too.  Pretty much, if it doesn't say "no trespassing" and "no shooting" you can shoot there.  My biggest problems are 1) ammo money and 2) transportation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Any Gorge/Mt Hood/Dalles area residents in here?

Lolo Pass - About 12 miles up from Hwy 26 on the left. 101 yards. Often messy.
Dollar pit  - About 8 miles up Road 16 off of Red hill drive (When gravel ends stay left. Another 1.5 miles on left about 100 yard off road.) 200 yards if your careful.
Neal creek - about 4 miles up Neal creek road off of Hwy 35. Small pit only 75 yards safely.
The dalles pit - First Dalles exit off I-84 heading east. Turn right off frwy and right again at sign. about 1 mile on left. only 75 yards in upper pit. Can get crowded on nice days.

Gladly show anyone interested these places.

Happy shooting,
CH

Link Posted: 12/2/2004 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>l:
"I would still love to find a place where I can shoot for free."First, contact the Marion County Sheriff's Office and ask which areas of the county are open for shooting.

You know you really should go out to Jefferson and introduce yourselves to the farmers.  I'm sure there are farmers that would be more than willing to take a good sensiable person shooting.  When I lived in Salem I met several farmers that way in Jefferson and in Scio.  Very nice families.  You can also go to the Extension office and see about gun groups.  These are a good foot in the door.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Just thought I would chime in.  I am in Eugene.  I always go up Upper Camp Creek Road east of Springfield towards the McKenzie.  End of the paved lined road has a logging road going up to the right.  It goes up onto the ridge/hills that separate the McKenzie River valley and Camp Creek valley.  Its a mix of Weyehauser and BLM.  Most of it is open to shoot anywhere you please and we have put A LOT of lead up there.  Don't go into the Coburg Hills unless you go up near Mt. Tom and the northern most part of the hills because a lot is active Weyerhauser land and there are no shooting signs EVERYWHERE.  There are also some good spot south of Eugene out past Crow, west of Creswell.  Panther Creek comes to mind.  I don't have a lot of experience in the area west of Fern Ridge resevoir but I have shot in the area before, so I know there are some spots.  Same goes for southeast towards Oakridge.  Though there are some good spots out be Fall Creek resevoir.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I worked for the BLM about one or two summers ago, I asked if it were OK, cause I noticed a ton of brass and shit folks had been shooting at laying around our gravel stockpile, and I was told "no problem", "why wouldn't you be allowed to, everyone does", by a guy with 30 years in, so I think its OK, if there ain't no sighns, do it, be careful, and if a ranger shows up just be polite and explain that it looked like everybody else had been shooting there and there where no sighns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#29]
For anyone around salem area I found a nice place about 25 min from town just take 22 towards detroit the turn left on the last street before north fork rd. It takes you up on the top of the ridge to state forest a couple of nice places to shoot . About 28 mi from west salem (where I live).
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll be in the Klamath Falls area in a few weeks. Any tips on where to find varmint shooting, IPSC or trap and skeet? Any active clubs in the area? Any contacts?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#31]
If anyone goes up to Memaloose road to go shooting, PLEASE start picking up your junk before you leave.

The powers that be that shut places like this down are growing.

At the first spot we're starting to see signs that show shooting is being frowned upon.
There is a number to call to report dumpers at the first spot and there's also signs that read the following:

NO SHOOTING
At area's that overlook water or roads, bla bla bla etc etc.

How could a sign me anymore misleading then that?
They want you to see the no shooting part and move on.
The hippies that go jogging and riding there bikes are starting to take over, and they don't want us gun owners there.

They will weed us out my using are worst examples againsts us so PLEASE, PICK UP YOUR SHIT and burn anything else you leave behind.

THX
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
/\ I go up there ALOT, and the first time I saw those signs I was like.. Damnit.. now I am gonna have to find another place to shoot..

Then read the fine print. I hate that.. a sign with huge bold letters saying NO SHOOTING then the rest saying over roads and water.

I'm up at Site 4 alot
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Another lurker/newbie from Portland looking around.

So, up until now, I've been heading from Hillsboro over to Mt. Wildcat. This is mainly due to my friend living out in east Portland. However, after being cold, muddy and wet for too long, I'm looking for something indoor/covered near Hillsboro.

So far I've seen:

Tri-County Gun Club
The Place To Shoot (pistol/rimfire only)

Obviously TCGC won't allow me blasting with my AK, but I'd still like to do some serious 100-200 yd. target work with my 20" AR-15 and pistol (plus future purchases). My question is, how "evil black rifle" friendly is TCGC? Not to mention me using my PG'd Saiga-12 on their skeet/trap range...her
And while I'm at it, let's confirm the 3 year old first post here for other "anything goes" places near Portland:

- Brown's Camp
- Jones Creek (unknown location)
- Wildcat
- Memaloose
- Scappoose (unknown location)

NoAim
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#34]
                                CARLTON/ YAMHILL area

From carlton follow meadow lake road west to panther creek road , follow panther creek road tovon
road this is right after the road goes from paved to dirt then a small paved area   there is a left turn across a new concrete bridge
follow von road up into the hills , you can shoot anywhere but if you turn left a after about 1 mile at the major  y intersection  then down the hill go about 1/2 mile to y and turn right this dead ends in a flat area  there is a pistol burm  with several target frames  and  to the left  with road directly behind you   as 6 oclock there is    11 oclock a 12 x 5 foot steel pipe at 475 metre's   a 12  girder 5 foot tall at 525 yrds at 12:30   at 1  at 375 yards there is a 12x4 foot girder  and 2 head plates made from brake discs  hanging   at 2    at 250 urds  another plate   then at early 3   there is a 125 yrd  12x4 foot hardened  blade   against the large stump

there was for many years  two  4 foot high  by 8 x8 foot railroad  tie table i built  but some local kids burned it  , my easement allow me to build as i please but after hauling 60 ties up for them to burn I have begun another much harder to reach  range ,

anyone wanting to meet up for directions  or needing a lead  just post
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Excellent.  I have been going up through Carlton, up Meadows Lake Road past Flying M into BLM, and other land, past the McMinnville Reservoir and finding random places.  But this sounds much better.  I'm in Newberg and like to find things a bit easier. I will check out your place you mentioned. Thanks.
I used to belong to TriCounty Gun Club.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Just so everyone knows:

I was told by the Sheriff that the Memaloose road shooting area is off-limits now except at the rock pit 6 miles at the top.

All area's before the rock pit area are off limits to shooting.

Too many tree's coming down and too much trash.

It's the beginning of the end for that area as a shooting spot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I live in Dundee and need a good place to shoot full auto. Send me an email and maybe we can hook up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#38]
RVStick, i tried those directions and came close but I need a clarification.  email me please.  I came to a yellow gate with a tree blocking the entrance so either i took a wrong turn somewhere or i'm not supposed to go in, let me know, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
                                CARLTON/ YAMHILL area

From carlton follow meadow lake road west to panther creek road , follow panther creek road tovon
road this is right after the road goes from paved to dirt then a small paved area   there is a left turn across a new concrete bridge
follow von road up into the hills , you can shoot anywhere but if you turn left a after about 1 mile at the major  y intersection  then down the hill go about 1/2 mile to y and turn right this dead ends in a flat area  there is a pistol burm  with several target frames  and  to the left  with road directly behind you   as 6 oclock there is    11 oclock a 12 x 5 foot steel pipe at 475 metre's   a 12  girder 5 foot tall at 525 yrds at 12:30   at 1  at 375 yards there is a 12x4 foot girder  and 2 head plates made from brake discs  hanging   at 2    at 250 urds  another plate   then at early 3   there is a 125 yrd  12x4 foot hardened  blade   against the large stump

there was for many years  two  4 foot high  by 8 x8 foot railroad  tie table i built  but some local kids burned it  , my easement allow me to build as i please but after hauling 60 ties up for them to burn I have begun another much harder to reach  range ,

anyone wanting to meet up for directions  or needing a lead  just post

Is this privately owned land, or Forest Service Land?  I live near Gaston and I've been looking for a good place close to home.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey, newbie to the forum.  Great ideas on where to shoot by the way.

I normally go out 224 past Memaloose Bridge, about a mile up on the left to a place they call..."the Dump".

There used to be quite a few members from some of the other forums that used to go shooting up there, but I haven't seen many up there in quite a while.

Other than that, Lolo Pass Road, off of Hwy 26 has some pretty nice spots to go shooting, too.  Take the Lolo Pass Road turn off, off of Hwy 26, then up about 7 miles on the left there is a little turn off on the left, up the hill, and about 75 yards clear shooting up against the hill side.  There's always some targets left over from others, lots of stumps to put up your own or clays.  And the best part, a great view of Mt Hood.

I'll have to try out some of these other spots, too.

Thanks for the info about Memaloose, too.  I haven't been up to the top in a while, but it's good to know that they shut it down.  Saves some $$ on gas, too.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Other than that, Lolo Pass Road, off of Hwy 26 has some pretty nice spots to go shooting, too.  Take the Lolo Pass Road turn off, off of Hwy 26, then up about 7 miles on the left there is a little turn off on the left, up the hill, and about 75 yards clear shooting up against the hill side.  There's always some targets left over from others, lots of stumps to put up your own or clays.  And the best part, a great view of Mt Hood.

Thanks.

Grew up shooting in that pit. I lived in Brightwood when i was a kid

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#42]
CH,

Are you talking about the pit that drops down off the main road?  If so, they closed that one down with a chain across the driveway.  Rangers said there were too many problems with unfriendlys flashing firearms at the passing motorists.  

All it takes is one or two a--holes to ruin things for the rest.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll have to see if some of my old shooting spots around Mollala and Scotts Mills are still accessible, If so, I'll post directions.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Any other good places to shoot near Corvallis, Philomath?  Or basic directions to those areas listed near Mary's Peak?  I've got to break in my new 870P tommorow or Tue.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Best free places to shoot pistols anyone?   How about on the west side of Portland (Beaverton/Hillsboro) heading west toward the coast.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Best free places to shoot pistols anyone?   How about on the west side of Portland (Beaverton/Hillsboro) heading west toward the coast.

Uhh Browns camp or any dirt road you find past mm oh...10-12?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The Quary:
N453639.3
W1232145.4
WGS84

cheers

How and or where do I convert this into Lat/long and Height?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Quary:
N453639.3
W1232145.4
WGS84

cheers

How and or where do I convert this into Lat/long and Height?

Thanks

N 45 36' 39.3"
W 123 21' 45.4"

or

+45.61092

Google Maps
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Nestucca River Road.  I like to head that way when I go to the coast for some plinking. It's due west from the city of Carlton. Some good places to shoot!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top