Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to agree with all the WGANZ said.
If I hadn't been part of a group, I would have seen just how far I could have push the older lady at the register.
The young lady there was very nice and helpful.
Steve
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Dittio - Not only did Sully deliver as promised he wowed everyone.  For those of you who hesitated jumping on this opportunity all I can san is "thank you" for leaving a slot for me to attend !

Would I go again - you betcha ! - Would I recommend it to my shooting buddies - You darn right!

My next e-mail is to Sully for one of his AR-s - built right - tested and reliable.

As for the "lady" at Backwoods - her actions were totally uncalled for  - I was embarrassed for TEXAS.  Honey here is a dime go buy a personality !

Guy's I enjoyed being in class with you !

Northbilly - Much smarter and better informed  in Houston
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's weird.  I have been going to Backwoods for many years, and she has always been super duper nice.  That is too bad.

They won't have to worry about me showing back up and bothering her with taking my money.

The range is closing in June or July anyway, they sold out to developers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The group of guys in the class were an excellent bunch... I would love to take another with you all.

The instuctors were extremely knowledgeable and the utmost professionals.

The course information was delivered very well.  The best part was stripping the entire weapon down to the bare bones.

As for the range... looked to be a very nice range, more oriented towards shotgunners.

The kids working at the range were very nice and helpful... even if the little blonde was checking out Paul.  By the way... I believe she was over 13.. is that considered LEGAL in Minnesota?

The range BIOTCH - was just that.  

Good thing... we will never hold another class there.  We now have a couple more options that will be better  for all of us... if I heard correctly, something like FREE.

I can not stress how important this course is for everyone who ones an AR15/M16.  Money is very well spent.

Again, thanks to all who came out... most importantly, BIG TEXAS THANK YOU to SULLY AND PAUL!!!

Be safe,

Leonard
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Good thing - maybe Mrs. B can take the money and go buy a personality !  I was totally embarrassed as a Texan entertaining vistors from Minnesota.

Sully is so good that he can teach a great class in spite of  these distractions.

Hooray for Sully - Damn I'm glad I got to go!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Same here guys. One awesome class....better than what I had in the Mil.  It is so nice knowing exactly how it works down to the bare bones.

I lost a few pins and springs.  I'm also in overload trying to remember all the neat tools Sully recommended for various difficult removals and reinstallations.  Did someone take note on these?

To the guys that put this together
Thanks

I thought the B**CH was cute!

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got home (4.5 hour drive from the class).

I had a great time, learned a lot, and was really impressed by the instructors.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought the B**CH was cute!

The hot strawberry blonde or her mother in the blue sweater that needed to be dunked in the Motrin vat?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I believe she was over 13.. is that considered LEGAL in Minnesota?

You should have told her to lie about her age and say she was like 17 and Paul would have taken it for a test drive
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The range is closing in June or July anyway, they sold out to developers.

No they didn't. They are still negotiating, and it's far from being a done deal at this point. As of yesterday, they are guarantied to stay open until the end of this year. The woman that owns/runs the place is usually pretty nice, but I've heard she had temper. Fortunately, there are plenty young (hot) girls there working the register, so paying the range fee is always a pleasure.

ETA: It may not be the best range out there, but it's one of very few left in the area, and it's the closest one for me, so I hope they turn the developers' offer down this time just like they've done before.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

<SNIP>

BTW. Did I mention that the woman that was running the range was a class A #1 BEOTACH that needed an industrial sized Motrin enema?

+1 - The class was awsome, but I feel sorry for the poor bastard that has to go home with that woman gash every night.  
It was great when Ross called her to the carpet for lying to us about having the place to ourselves.
I thought her head was goling to explode.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe she was over 13.. is that considered LEGAL in Minnesota?

You should have told her to lie about her age and say she was like 17 and Paul would have taken it for a test drive

Her jacket If I remember correctly said she would  graduate in 06or07 so.......... am I safe down there or not. By the way I am from Montana and my name is Joe.

The older guy with one tooth got to go home with the range lady and tag it every night. I feel bad for him.
Had a great time everyone was great look forward to more classes shooting or armoring.(if you think armoring was good get a firearms two day down there... it will knock your socks off)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Crosspost from Get Off the X:

First, I want to say that I'm not a gunsmith, nor do a fancy myself as one. If you look at my guns, you'll usually see spots where I pounded too hard with the biggest hammer and have a ding or dent in the metal (cough, XD sights, cough). I can't help it. I'm a guy. When 6 years old I helped my dad build a laundry room onto our house. I like tools. I like doing things myself when I think I can do it without totally fucking it up or putting my life in danger (read: I'll never do my own brake job).

I've built several of my ARs, from parts kits and stripped receivers all the way up into well-running guns. I am dangerous with a Clint McKee and Walter Kuleck manual, a hammer, some Starret punches, and a bag full of springs and pins. However, when the opportunity arose to take a bonafide armorer's course, I jumped at the chance, even though I had to drive 6 hours, both ways, in the rain, to do it.

In short, I'd do it again.

Greg Sullivan ("Sully") and his sidekick Paul (sorry, I only know you by that and your internet moniker) put on the class for us, hosted by a couple of ARF.com members, and held at the Backwoods Traps location this past weekend. I think we had about 25 students or so, from various backgrounds and experiences with the black rifle.

The course:

The course is a two-day period of instruction on the functioning and complete assembly and disassembly of the AR rifle. We learned how they work, what makes them work well, what can make them stop working, and when they stop working, how to get them working again. We were exposed to full auto guns (and their functions) as well.

The first day dealt mainly with the lower receiver and the bolt carrier group. We completely took apart and put back together the lower twice, first under step by step supervision and lecture by Sully, and then to make sure we could do it on our own. Defensive Edge provides the basic tools, and some helpful tools to make life easier (especially if you're going to be attending to yours and other people's guns in a professional capacity).

The next day was for explaination of the trigger assembly and trigger jobs, and then onto the upper receiver. We took the whole upper apart under supervision and learned about rebarreling and other things not covered in some OEM classes. Sully brought 20+ years of experience of shooting and working on these guns, and is an encyclopedia of information about the AR. If something has been bolted, used, or shot from an AR, then he's probably used it, knows about it, and can speak authoritatively on whether or not it would be suitable for use.

Stuff I brought away from the class:

1) Don't go out and buy a complete armorer's kit from the manufacturer without being exposed to other tools out there. Many complete armorer's kits come with stuff you don't need, or stuff that is outdated. Some combo wrenches are better than others, for example. The basic tools provided (tack hammer, one flat punch, two roll pin punches, block of wood, Kroil, pipecleaners, flat bladed screwdriver) can easily be obtained from Home Depot or the local hardware store. Special tools like sight tools, combo/armorer's wrench, armorer's block, receiver blocks, etc. can be obtained from Brownell's, Adco, or Midway USA.
2) A pretty good reference manual. He didn't teach from it, but gives one out to the students as a reference in the future. It is well organized, with sections on complete assembly and disassembly, functioning, cleaning and lubrication, zeroing, safety, troubleshooting, and diagrams of the gun, as well as a few pictures. He is currently in the process of updating it with pictures (to replace some of the line-drawn diagrams) and hopes to have it out soon.
3) A better understanding of the rifle overall. The rifle is a system of individual parts, and all must be working in concert in order to run well.
4) A renewed appreciation of A1 style sights due to their durability and simplicity.
5) A really clean gun (I took a DPMS lowered and BCM uppered A4 clone with LMT BUIS and Aimpoint). It was clean before.
6) Confidence in my abilities to work on my guns without grabbing a bigger hammer. If I think I need a hammer, I need to stop and step back and reexamine what I'm trying to do. Most of the times there is a better way.
7) Kroil is my friend.
8) Anti-seize is my friend.
9) A coupon to use on a Sully rifle. What was really neat about seeing some of his guns is that he just didn't put together a M4 clone and mark it his, but things that he did to make his better, from the machine work, to the selection of parts and enhancements, his reasoning behind their designs and attention to detail.
10) Dremels need a $200 tax stamp, background check, and waiting period. Please think of the children.

This class was my first non-shooting/non-combative class I had taken in a while.

So, for those of you who have ARs and want to learn more about them and the ability to keep it running well, this class is for you.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As for the "lady" at Backwoods - her actions were totally uncalled for  - I was embarrassed for TEXAS. Honey here is a dime go buy a personality !

Now that is sig line material
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally got my AR out w/ the new barrel this past Saturday.  

Since we stripped the lower and upper completely... and then put the new barrel on it... I had to sight the gun back in.

It did not take along to get it sighted in.  The one thing I did notice... is the recoil felt different and muzzled blast sounded different. This is compared to the 16" w/ mini Y comp break.

I have the Eotech mounted and cowitnessed w/ the Arms 40 Back Up Sight. Once I got the Eotech sighted in, I was shooting one hole groups.  This is much better than what I was getting w/ my old barrel.

The barrel is great.  The gun is much more pleasant to shoot now.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Did find a source of Kroil penetrating oil in the DFW. It is at GunMaster in Plano, vicinity of Spring Valley & Ave K. It was $9.95/can.

HTH,

wganz

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Armorers wrench

Is this the one we used in the class?  If so, will someone have them available at the FTW gun show..

Thx
Leonard
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Armorers wrench

Is this the one we used in the class?  If so, will someone have them available at the FTW gun show..

Thx
Leonard

Thats it! Good price also if that is the price at the show.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top