Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't diesel fairly hard to light?
Maybe some AVgas

Tonight around 7:00?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, that's the idea.  If one just uses gas, it ignites and burns before a large fireball can develope and last.  Almost anything dispersed in such a manner is extremely flammable, you can blow up a building with ignited flour if you can disperse it properly.  I was assumingthat's what the naptha was for as well, or perhaps it's to increase the diesel's flammability?  I just don't know myself.

I had assumed the diesel was used as it is safer, and (used to be) cheaper.  It might be used to retard the speed of the fuel consumption.  Just as before, we shall see, it's all part of our experimentation before the big bam boom.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone have video of tannerite going up ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, after Mike playing bomb maker, this is what he came up with

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got some video, but no where to host at the moment and they may be too large for me to even send.  Funwand could hold them but I have yet to get the video to him, but rest assured we will video our exploits and have them linked.

It's basically a huge yellowish white cloud.  I think standard 1 lb targets produce a cloud about 15' in diameter, give or take.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
www.yousendit.com

upto 1gb file can be uploaded from your computer.  takes a while though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Mike

Are we on for 7:ish Wednesday night?

When I swung by at 7:00 tongiht there were probably 10-15 people on the two ranges, kinda busy

Must be getting close to huntin season
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Good point, we started at 8 on monday and we ended up waiting till around 9:30-10 before it cleared out enough to go mess around.  Maybe we should show up later.
Does anybody have a real video camera they could donate for the project?  And as usual we are out of bottles.  Maybe there is someplace we can rent a camera?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I can score a video camera, but I would have to learn how to use it and I am unwise to the ways of converting video tape to digital files (other than straight to DVD).  I called, it's available (with tripod) and I'll bring it.

Still need some bottles.  I could buy some more but I hate spending that kind of money for something I am just going to pour on the ground.  At the Whittier shoot, we were using old empty kitty litter bottles.

We would only have to wait until people left if we do it on the range, we could always go else where (like just down the road a bit near all the burned out automobile husks).  It might be prudent considering that we will be using larger charges.

I'll be there earlier in anycase, shooting and entertaining myself as always.  In fact, I will be at the range in a couple of hours as usual.

Someone bringing the diesel?

Also, I've thought of a way to shoot at the charges without risking holes in the fuel bottles (turn them sideways, the fuel is not going to be blown all the way back to us).

I'll do the shooting, I want them to go off on the first shot

I'll upload a clip from the Whitter shoot on yousendit.com so you can see what a minor fuel/tannerite bomb looks like.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.yousendit.com

Hmm, who's email addy do I send it to?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Good idea, turning it  sideways. what was giving me grief was the bright reflection of the flare coming off the fuel.  It was brighter than the target so I couldnt see it.  oh well.  I'll bring my scoped rifle so there won't be any doubt.  Plus you said you had some paper targets so I can sight in that holosight.  
At any rate, your tannerite=your target.

Not sure If I can go tonight, the woman is playing sick.  She's mumbling something about the ER so I might be busy getting bent over by their billing dept.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.yousendit.com

Hmm, who's email addy do I send it to?

you can send it to yourself.  once it's finished uploading, you will get a confirmation email with the link.  post the link for everyone to download.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got back from the range, burning through the ammo too quickly with no one to BS with.

If you think you can't show, you aren't going to show most likely, and I don't want to waste my last days in town for the year so I will be going to a movie or something rather than wasting it sitting around and waiting unless someone wants to meet me at the range.  Most likely a 7ish show so I'll check back here before then.

Funwand, I am spending your money more and more, need to get it to you before it's all gone.

Still want to get my buffer back before I have to pack up and leave as well.  Chris, if we hook up, any chance of bringing that K40 and just a magazine worth of ammo?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Mike

Sent you an email

Hopefully we can hook up tomorrow.  I will bring the Kahr and ammo (should be able to scrounge a box or two)

Let me know on the email

What movie did you see?

Chris
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Was going to see Skeleton Key but ended up with a night of Texas Holdem with the boys.  See you at the range tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
If you need a video camera give me a shout.

Its a digital too.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Mike
I passed you when you were coming into the range.  Holy smokes was it ever buys.  Damn hunting season
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, saw you go by.  I swear the later it gets, the busier the range gets.  We had to wait until well after 10pm closing time for the last to clear out, and then there was still someone at the pistol range (though da bomb cleared him out).

We got to shoot Funwand's 20" upper in full auto, and perform some mag dumps with a Beta C-Mag.  The MGI buffer made it run real smooth.  We had to kill a lot of time to wait until the range cleared.  It took a while to finish sighting in the 20" upper, then half a case of Tannerite in discreet charges.

Tonight's bomb was 7-1/2 lbs/charges of Tannerite and 4 liters of diesel/naptha.  It was a nice blast but disappointing, not the rolling red cloud of fire we were searching for.  It was debatable as to whether there was a fireball or not, it may have just been white light and red lit cloud from the flares, one of which was blown out by the charge.  I think I saw fire but we will have to review the video more carefully.  I got access to a nice digital video camera but we just shot it with my digital camera in video clip mode.

I don't know if the 40lb charge is going to happen soon, it might wait until winter where it can be detonated along with a crapload of gas without fear of fiery fallout.  It might be a nice addition to this new years fireworks extravaganza we are cooking up.  That will start with 120 mortar tube and hundreds of shots.

We are finding the big rolling fire clouds difficult to produce.  We expected much more tonight, but this is the first time we tried diesel instead of gas.  I personally think this may require a huge ratio of fuel to Tannerite.  More like 10 gallons of fuel to 1 gallon of Tannerite.  The effect we are seeking is proving to be much more elusive than we thought.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I think that you might look the other way for fuel, i.e. something that burns faster.  I have some old Nitro fuel for my RC race cars that I would donate to the project.  I'm leaving town tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday.  If you want to get together Sunday at some point before you leave we can make something go boom
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, we had to try the diesel and naptha per recommendations from others who have gone this route.  The first bombs were gas.  We are going back to gas in anycase.  It's still all experimental.  We were hoping for a lasting, rolling cloud of fire.  The concern was the gas would not allow the fire cloud to last for a better effect, nor expand enough before burning up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I would have loved to attend the test sessions but the exercise out at Eielson but a damper on my efforts. Anyways, i'll attend any more that come up.

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info.  It's not really the direction I was looking at.  Personally, I wanted to stick with the ultra safe Tannerite product, but get a fireball to go with the report.  It might just not be possible, or perhaps it just requires 50 gallons of gas.  The Tannerite is the explosive, nothing more necessary in that department, just research into common materials to creating a rolling fireball.  We'll keep trying.

Looking through the boomershoot notes, the recipies contain a lot of materials I don't have immediate access to, don't want to pay for, or don't want to grind up (I'm lazy).  The preparations require a lot of safety precautions.  Other factors including in the prep of those recipies may include sunlight, humidity, storage time, etc.

You could throw one of our bombs in a bonfire and all you would get is a flame up when the fuel ignites, but no boom.  We don't have to worry about sparks.

ETA:  I think we were successful in our last couple of bombs, but we want a bigger fireball.  Video to be link shortly, see for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#24]
isn't naptha in napalm?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
isn't naptha in napalm?

yes  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top