Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Kimber beckons you to the dark side...

It is useless to resist.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the Kimber is DEFINATELY light side...  I really want one.  :-)  

BTW, what hospital do you work at?  And do you know guys that go to Fairmont and fly RC airplanes?  I am jsut getting into RC planes, and 2 of the guys flying, are from (I think) the ER at St Als.  I think they may be Nurses.  Brian and Mark.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, Merry Christmas everyone.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey, Merry Christmas everyone.

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Jollyroger, the Springfield XD now comes in a .45 ACP version. 14 round capacity.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BTW, what hospital do you work at?  And do you know guys that go to Fairmont and fly RC airplanes?  I am jsut getting into RC planes, and 2 of the guys flying, are from (I think) the ER at St Als.  I think they may be Nurses.  Brian and Mark.  

I'm at St Als, but spend pretty much all of my time in the operating rooms or in Labor & Delivery (epidurals, c-sections, etc).  There's a good chance I've run into them, but haven't formally met.

My brother used to fly an RC plane; hasn't for a while after it crashed.  He has 2 young kids, so is pretty tied up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jollyroger, the Springfield XD now comes in a .45 ACP version. 14 round capacity.

I saw those...looks good.  It would probably answer the prayers of Glock haters that dont want to spend the cash for an HK.  

But you know my take on plastic guns.      Kidding, I actually could see a G19 in my safe someday, and for sure an HK45 or USP 45.  But for now it must be a 1911, or if I buy the ACOG and still itch for a .45 maybe a Sig 220.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I talked myself out of getting the Colt 1911. Had so much fun shooting Ar10ers HK that I've decided to put a scope on my M1A. Mounts are about $130 to $170, and both scopes I'm looking at are about $400.

I do think I'm going to replace the rear sights on my 1911.....maybe.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If I had any say in what you should do (which I know I dont) I would say keep the GI .45 as is to compliment all your other WWII gear.  Then get the Mil Spec or other to deck out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If I had any say in what you should do (which I know I dont) I would say keep the GI .45 as is to compliment all your other WWII gear.  Then get the Mil Spec or other to deck out.

I know, been thinking the same thing. But I was also was thinking it would be nice to have better sights on the 1911 if I wasn't going to get another soon ‘cause I've been up to this lately:

1. Your HBAR upper for $300 (which by the way, has gotten to be my favorite AR).
2. EOTech for $335 for the M4gery.
3. Gracey motorized case trimmer and pocket reamer for $380 (I'm processing 6000 .223 cases right now, getting ready to load 'em up!! Thanks for the free brass guys!!)

Had my damn CC paid off at the end of November, now it's back up to $600 and something. I sure had fun though!!

Anyway I've decided to limit myself to only one more big purchase until it's paid off again. So it's either a scope on the M1A, or a new 1911. And the scope would be cheaper by almost half.

I frick'in hate making decisions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
My friend Ethan here at work wants to buy an AR15. Anyone have one for sale? Ethan is the guy who's come out with his brother a few times. I told him he should just part one together over the course of a few months, but he wants to pick one up assembled from someone he trusts.

Jollyroger? Luckypunk? You guys have one you want to sell so you can build another mid-length!! Anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm...nothing to sell at the moment.  All my plans for now revolve around buy, buy, buy.  Maybe if he supplies the funds one of us could assemble it for next to nothing.(?)

BTW:  I tried out a chest rig today.  I think I have changed my mind on these, I like 'em.

I had forgot about my gun CC.  I may be able to put an ACOG on the middy, build a 14.5" M4, and get a sweet assed 1911 before summer afterall!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My friend Ethan here at work wants to buy an AR15. Anyone have one for sale? Ethan is the guy who's come out with his brother a few times. I told him he should just part one together over the course of a few months, but he wants to pick one up assembled from someone he trusts.

Jollyroger? Luckypunk? You guys have one you want to sell so you can build another mid-length!! Anyone else?

Cool cost money...How cool does he want to be?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I think he wants to be cool to the tune of between 5 and 6 hundred bucks.

He should just build one, but he's never done it and after I had trouble with the AK's initially not wanting to run reliably, I *think* he's kind of worried about me building him one. Which is fine, it's his money and I have other things to do (I figure only about 500 more pieces of brass to size).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
If I was Ethan your friend (who needs to join ARFCOM and get himself a screen name before we give him one ourselves),  I'd plunk down the $$$ at sportsmans and get a M4A3 or similar on layaway. It's a little more than that but I'd bet he'd have it in no time.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Liquored up &  wanting to post

Quoted:
BTW:  I tried out a chest rig today.  I think I have changed my mind on these, I like 'em.

Ponderosa?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I was Ethan your friend (who needs to join ARFCOM and get himself a screen name before we give him one ourselves),  I'd plunk down the $$$ at sportsmans and get a M4A3 or similar on layaway. It's a little more than that but I'd bet he'd have it in no time.  

I've talked to him before about arfcom and he doesn't seem to interested. As far as the rifle goes, I think he's trying to get away from paying for a new one, assembled or not. Getting one used for a little less than new seems to be what he's after.

Anyway, I told him I'd ask here and I have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm back, we had a pretty good trip overall.  Got to see some long lost high school friends, shot another Kimber  AND got into an argument with a pawn shop dumb ass!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm back, we had a pretty good trip overall.  Got to see some long lost high school friends, shot another Kimber  AND got into an argument with a pawn shop dumb ass!!

C'mon, tell us what the argument was over!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you had fun & made it back OK.  So what was the Pawnshop dumbass argument about.

Anyone have ballistics testing website, I was wondering about pistol load.

9mm vs .40 vs .45

I have the urge to get/trade my G19 for a Glock 23.  It holds 13 rounds of .40, but I hear you can get a 9 barrel for it, and mags I presume, for cheap practice.  G23 is the same frame as my 19.  but I was thinking It would be a little more nasty than the 9mm.  Isn't .40 the prefered round of the IPSC shooters?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, first you must realize that North Platte Nebraska is kinda limited for where you can buy ammo, just not too many places around.  So me and my shooting friend (the one who trades guns monthly) go to the pawn shop to get some .223.  Previous to us going to the counter to ask what they had we over hear a conversation that sounds like total BS.  Anyway we go to the counter, ask what he has for .223.  The guy behind the counter asks what we are shooting.  I say AR's.  Then the customer that had been previously BS'ing asked us what twist we were using "1/9 or 1/8?".  I knew it was going to go south at this point, I just had a feeling.  Anyway, I tell him 1/9 and 1/7.  He says "you'd better go with SS109 or something 62gr., just stay away from the 55gr. in the 1/7.  And actually its not a 1/7, its a 1/7.775"  Sigh...here we go.  I say 55gr will work just fine in the 1/7.  He says "Oh no, the jacket will separate in the barrel from over twisting"  I tell him "I've shot over 1K of 55gr. in a 1/7 with no problems" (Partly through my 1/7, and partly through a Colt of a friends)  He says "Well in 4 wars that I've been in I think I would know"  Right...dumb shit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Luckypunk:  KEEP THE 19!  Save for the 23

Or would you like to make a quick $300 (+)?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Isn't .40 the prefered round of the IPSC shooters?

Maybe, but there were (are?) an awful lot of .38 Supers running around to.

And numerous .45s. I think Ryfter and I were the only ones shooting 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll just ask instead of googling

wtf is a .38 super? is it btw a .38 special & .357  can't be that, tha case is too friggin big.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll just ask instead of googling

wtf is a .38 super? is it btw a .38 special & .357  can't be that, tha case is too friggin big.

First I'd ever heard of it to is when we shot IPSC.

The "it" is a hyperlink, though it dosen't look like it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
He says "Well in 4 wars that I've been in I think I would know"  Right...dumb shit.

How old was this guy?

And you know darn well we've warned you time and time again about shooting 55's in your 1/7. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd say the dude was maybe mid 40's, at the oldest early 50's.  How many have gone on that he could have been in?  Vietnam (maybe) Desert Storm?  What other wars/fighting did we do between then and now?  Noreaga?  Come on Spiff, you should know most of them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Ahh yes, Chuck Hawks.  I forgot about him.  I wish that wasn't a membership site.  

I'm talking myself down from parting with the G19.  Actually thinking about a sight change though.  maybe something target and adjustable...or just metal.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Meprolight or Trijicons
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Meprolight or Trijicons

Factory Trijicons on mine. 11 years old and still giving off a vaguely radioactive glow.

My Kimber supposedly had Kimber-branded Mepros, and they had a string of bad ones.  My front sight is dark and the rear bar is dim.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#32]
For IPSC, you see 9mm, .40 and .38 super.  

9mm is run in production (what Spiff and I shot).  It is only scored as minor, so why handicap yourself with a bigger load?

.40 was used by the limited guys (and I think a couple of .45,)

.38 super is for the open guns.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
For IPSC, you see 9mm, .40 and .38 special.  

9mm is run in production (what Spiff and I shot).  It is only scored as minor, so why handicap yourself with a bigger load?

.40 was used by the limited guys (and I think a couple of .45,)

.38 special is for the open guns.  

Ryfter means .38 Super, not .38 Special
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Luckypunk:  KEEP THE 19!  Save for the 23

Or would you like to make a quick $300 (+)?

I can add a case of beer to that offer.

I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my G22.  It works quite well and allows you to shoot lead bullets.  I don;t know the ballistics off my head but .40 knocks plates over that 9mm does not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'd say the dude was maybe mid 40's, at the oldest early 50's.  How many have gone on that he could have been in?  Vietnam (maybe) Desert Storm?  What other wars/fighting did we do between then and now?  Noreaga?  Come on Spiff, you should know most of them.

Well, counting down from the present we have:

1. The War in Iraq
2. Somalia
3. The Gulf War
4. Panama (Noriega)
5. Grenada
6. Vietnam
7. Korea
8. WWII
9. WWI

I don't think numbers 1-5 really qualify to be called wars, as they were not declared. Though I'm sure the guys who were there dogging bullets probably did not see much difference. Vietnam was not declared either but it begs inclusion simply because of the scope of the conflict. Also there are others earlier in the last century like the Boxer Rebellion and the Philippine Incursion, which probably deserve to be there as much as Somalia, Grenada and Panama.

If the guy was my age, in his 40's, he was to young to have fought in Vietnam. Period. *Unless* he lied about his age and joined when he was 16 or 17, or his parents signed a waiver when he was 17. And even still it's a stretch to think he fought there as US troops were pretty much gone by early '73. So from a technical standpoint, he never really fought in *any* wars. But being in one of the smaller conflicts certainly qualifies him for a “Thank you” and a pat on the back for a job well done. Even if he is full of shit about the 55's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Gotcha, well I never got the chance to pat him on the back or thank him for saving my barrel from the wrath of the 55's.  Oh well, he obviously isnt a member here!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Sleepdr!:  What RRA upper did you end up getting?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Anybody up for shooting today?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Sleepdr!:  What RRA upper did you end up getting?

It's an ADCO build, and I might forget some details, so here's a cut& paste I got from the seller:

ADCO upgraded Rock River Arms upper
RRA Mid DD 9.0
Chrome lined 1:9 twist barrel
Contoued Wilson Barrel
Rock River Reciever /  Bolt and Bolt Carrier
Daniel Davis HandGuard 9.0 length

I had Steve upgrade the bolt with a ( CRANE O-Ring Extactor Enhancer )

Also part of the upgrade for the upper was a LMT rear sight and a Vortex flash hider.

The Lower is a Standard Rock River Arms lower with a RRA NM two stage trigger
( new springs / tuned for a crisper break)

What a mouthful.
BTW, how do I know if my FSB is "F" marked?  It's cast and kinda rough, but there's some kind of cryptic stamping on the left upper side (the "ear" protecting the post) that looks like an "A" or "F" or triangle or alien symbol.

The DD freefloat feels very solid, and looks cool in that tactical wannabe sort of way.

The lower has an A2 buttstock.  I'll probably swap that for a collapsible, as well as getting some folding BUIS when I get an optic.  This should be a good starter AR as-is, though.  The Aimpoint 2x I'm borrowing sits low enough that it is a direct cowitness with the front and rears.  IMHO that's a little too busy with a restricted FOV, but some folks might like it.

I learned to shoot with irons from a grandfather who disliked scopes, so an optic really needs to excite me before I get one.

...oops, I was the last poster in a thread locked & sent to trash in GD.  Hope I didn't make someone angry.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Anybody up for shooting today?

Wish I could, but am stuck at work.  If you get shot or have a bad car accident, though, you may meet me in the operating room.  Isn't it raining, anyway?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like a kick ass upper!

Rain shmain I always say.

What was the thread sent to the trash for?  What was it about?  Chances are that it was going to be trashed before you posted the last post anyway.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh and about the F marked FSB:  My midlength has an "F" stamped clearly on the left side of the FSB, where the gas tube goes into.  On the right side it has all the other junk, but on the left the only thing stamped there is the F.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll try to make it to one of the shoots and have you guys take a look at that FSB.

The thread was about colon cleansing, and had a couple ugly pictures.  Hope it was that, rather than a couple sarcastic comments I made.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#44]
IM the mod that locked it maybe?

There's no doubt on the F marked FSB, are you going to be able to make it on the 7th?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
IM the mod that locked it maybe?

There's no doubt on the F marked FSB, are you going to be able to make it on the 7th?

It went straight to trash, no "locked" comment or evidence of who did it.  As long as they didn't lock my account or slap my wrists, I'll assume it was due to the pictures of poo.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the 7th; I don't think there are any other markings on my FSB, but will check it again tonight.  It looks very rough, except where the bayo lug is machined.  I figure that's mostly cosmetic, and is a little like Cindy Crawford's mole.  There has to be something on the upper for me to complain about.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Cindy Crawfords mole  true.  If it shoots good I wouldnt worry about it.

Hopefully you'll be able to make it.  Although I'm sure once I see your middy all railed out and such I'll want to do the same to mine.  Oh well first things first, ACOG or Kimber, 14.5" upper, and so on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought the next shoot is on the 7th?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
It is, it is!  You got the day off?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Probably could get some shooting in tomorrow, and even stay dry.

I don't want speak for everybody but I need links to sleepdr thread-locking post
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Probably could get some shooting in tomorrow, and even stay dry.

I don't want speak for everybody but I need links to sleepdr thread-locking post

Sounds like the thread went straight to the trash, so a link wouldnt work.  Oh well.

Shooting tomorrow would be out for me working a 12 hour shift and all.

Anybody know of the cheapest place locally to pick up a case of 62 gr. 5.56?
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top