Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2020 10:39:20 AM EDT
always bought win. silvertip ammo in 9mm,.45,.40 for home and concelled carry but getting hard to find . any recomendations for compatable ammo? also in .32..380 or.25
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would highly suggest Federal HST for good hollow points these days. Speer Gold Dots are excellent as well. Mouse gun calibers like 380, 32, 25 I would probably just stick with FMJ's. Maybe go Hornady XTP for 380acp if you really want a hollow point.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer HST or Ranger-T over Silvertips but other good options include Critical Duty, Golden Sabre, and Gold Dot.

I also stick to FMJ in anything smaller than 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Silvertip is venerable but has been surpassed by newer bullet tech. HST, Gold Dot, Critical Duty, etc will generally out-perform it. Sig V Crown does fairly well in gel tests and has been more available than the other defensive standbys in pandemic world.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Handgun ammo recommendation is always the same when I'm asked.

Ive done extensive testing over the last 25+ both with my Agency and personally....

Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot in any bullet weight in any caliber.

Across the board they both perform well and ultimately its more about shot placement than bullet type
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Way old ammo still good. But there is better tech ammo now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Get better ammo than silvertips. I have a few rounds. I joke with non gun people that they are for werwolves.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang it. Ran out of Silvertips on my last werewolf attack.  HST are nice,
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang it. Ran out of Silvertips on my last werewolf attack.  HST are nice,
View Quote

Silver tips also helped me with werewolves.  No complaints
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Critical Duty & Critical Defense, depending on your barrel length, but it's kind of hard to find now too.  If you are Mil/LE/1st responder lots of places you can get the 50 round boxes designated LEO only for much less than normal prices.  I was stocking up on Critical Defense usually between 40-55CPR depending on who had it in stock before shit went south.  I had about 500 rounds built up, but just gave my son about 150 rounds for his G23 EDC carry.  In all honesty just about any decent JHP will put a hurting on someone if hit reasonably in the center mass area.  Not that I'd want to get shot by FMJ either, even in the arm.  Paul Harrell did a video showing that Win white box JHP performed fairly well in his "meat target" compared to a lot of hyper ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top