Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 9:51:22 AM EDT
hey all,

looking to tune up my first real 1911 from a company I've been hoping would do some work for me for like a decade, but I'm either broke or they are full. Anyway, things are lining up and I'm looking to have a Baer Stainless concept V worked over. I'm pretty sure of all my other options, but wondering about refinishing. I want to get it cleaned up all around, so refinish makes sense. Is it better to go with polished flats on the slide and bead blast round or bead blast the whole damn thing?

Anybody have pics of these kids of finishes side to side or comparison?

I will use the pistol for carry, HD sometimes, competitions, etc. I don't expect it to be a safe queen and it will see kydex and leather if that matters. it probably won't be full time CCW for me since I have a TRS for that and like the night sights.

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
On a gun that is going to be carried I would go bead blast. Polished flats show scratches much more and are more work and or expensive to refinish. Appearance wish I prefer polished flats and what I do for a finish on a stainless range gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Polished flats and blasted rounds are already what Baer does.

Satin bead blast the whole thing: looks like Kimber or Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
With enough use you will remove the bead blast finish, just from holster wear.

My Kimber I've used for IDPA and USPSA has been refinished 4 times with noticeable wear into the dust cover area. The Slide not so much as that is a Caspian part from a double charge (or more) repair. Funny All I needed was a new slide and magazine. rest of the was ok as is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With enough use you will remove the bead blast finish, just from holster wear.

My Kimber I've used for IDPA and USPSA has been refinished 4 times with noticeable wear into the dust cover area. The Slide not so much as that is a Caspian part from a double charge (or more) repair. Funny All I needed was a new slide and magazine. rest of the was ok as is.
View Quote
This ^^

Also, satin polished flats (not high polished like Colt's Royal Blue, but say to 300 or 400 grit) will hold up to holster wear better than you'd think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top