Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2018 9:34:10 AM EDT
Can I sell it or ???  If I sell it, can I ship it via USPS to an individual?  It would be a bare frame with only the front block in it.  No parts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There is nothing barring you from selling it. As long as you did not manufacture it to sell. But you cannot ship it, if its complete it is a handgun and can only be sold to someone in your state and all state and federal laws will apply the same as any other hand gun.

I also doubt any FFL could take it in on a transfer simce there is no serial number, and its not a pre 1968 weapon, but im not sure on that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
First two posts nail it. Once you finish the frame, it's now a firearm. Just like a factory Glock frame, and needs to be dealt with as such, legally speaking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Agree with all the above. It must have a serial number for FFL or sell it locally to
someone who is legal to buy firearms/hand guns.

ETA: it doesn't matter if there is no LPK. If you finished it, it meets criteria as a handgun
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agree with all the above. It must have a serial number for FFL or sell it locally to

ETA: it doesn't matter if there is no LPK. If you finished it, it meets criteria as a handgun
View Quote
I noticed on the new P80 there is a spot on the dust cover( same as the Glock) for a place for a serial number

How is it applied. Electro pencil or scratched in?  I have one I will never use because I over drilled some holes and I thought my only option was to throw it away.

Can you  make up any serial number?  Does the number have to be unique to you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I noticed on the new P80 there is a spot on the dust cover( same as the Glock) for a place for a serial number

How is it applied. Electro pencil or scratched in?  I have one I will never use because I over drilled some holes and I thought my only option was to throw it away.

View Quote
The last time I looked at the rule, it had to have (6) digits, either alpha -or- numeral or mixed.

It has to be permanently engraved or stamped. I would look it up on ATF website to be sure.

It's been awhile since I read up on the ATF rule. It could have changed by now.
What is sure, if it's finished, it IS considered a handgun and that is what the law will
will hold you accountable for.

If it has never been registered and is not usable, cut it in half and trash it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#7]
How comfortable are you with going to prison over advice some randoms dudes give you? Legally, there are mines all over the place that can jam you up if you mistep.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
it is usable,  I just don't like it.  I got a complete OEM frame off gunbroker for $52 yesterday.   I'll just toss it in my spare parts stash for now then.  Gun laws are just silly IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  The last time I looked at the rule, it had to have (6) digits, either alpha -or- numeral or mixed.

It has to be permanently engraved or stamped. I would look it up on ATF website to be sure.

What is sure, if it's finished, it IS considered a handgun and that is what the law will

View Quote
The rule is for manufacturers.  OP is not a licensed manufactuer, he doesn't have to serialize it.

He can ship it to someone w/in his state, if his state laws allow.  I don't know if USPS will ship an other - they'll ship rifles & shotguns, I believe.

If selling to someone out of state, OP, you'll have to ship to their FFL.  I wouldn't make a regular habit of this, btw - selling completed 80% lowers tends to grab ATF's attention, even if it is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can I sell it or ???  If I sell it, can I ship it via USPS to an individual?  It would be a bare frame with only the front block in it.  No parts.
View Quote
You can sell it FTF if your state allows it to someone that's a resident of your state.  You can't ship it to an individual.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it's unusable due to your missed drilling, why would you sell it to someone else?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The rule is for manufacturers.  OP is not a licensed manufactuer, he doesn't have to serialize it.

He can ship it to someone w/in his state, if his state laws allow.  I don't know if USPS will ship an other - they'll ship rifles & shotguns, I believe.

If selling to someone out of state, OP, you'll have to ship to their FFL.  I wouldn't make a regular habit of this, btw - selling completed 80% lowers tends to grab ATF's attention, even if it is perfectly legal.
View Quote
You can ship a firearm to another nonlicensed person in your state.  While the post office will allow nonlicensees to mail long guns to other nonlicensees in the same state, it restricts its services for handguns and pistols to FFL holders.  Nonlicensees who want to ship a handgun are limited to contract carriers, which—by the way—require that you ship the gun to or through an FFL holder.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The last time I looked at the rule, it had to have (6) digits, either alpha -or- numeral or mixed.

This is correct, with the caveat that ATF does recommend you serialize homemade firearms.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  You can ship a firearm to another nonlicensed person in your state.  While the post office will allow nonlicensees to mail long guns to other nonlicensees in the same state, it restricts its services for handguns and pistols to FFL holders.  Nonlicensees who want to ship a handgun are limited to contract carriers, which—by the way—require that you ship the gun to or through an FFL holder.
View Quote
In the OP's case, it's not a handgun - yet.  Not clear if USPS will ship an "other".

Before anyone goes off, Polymer 80 frames can be built w/ a 16" bbl and a stock, thus making them rifles.  Until it's assembled into a working firearm, it's not a pistol, nor a rifle.  It's an "other", same as a AR lower.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
No it doesn't.

1) Yes you can sell it.
2) No you can not mail it USPS.
3) Does not need a Serial Number to sell to FFL at the Federal Level (some states may require it).
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's unusable due to your mission drilling, why would you sell it to someone else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's unusable due to your mission drilling, why would you sell it to someone else?
I would let them know about it.  Might just need adhesive on the holes.  Just don’t feel like messing with it.   Hate to throw it out but don’t want to get myself in hot water over $75
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

1) Yes you can sell it.
2) No you can not mail it USPS.
3) Does not need a Serial Number to sell to FFL at the Federal Level (some states may require it).
View Quote
I was referring to out of state sale. I should've been more explicit.

Any regard, it's up to seller to remain within current laws, not the forum.

ETA: Hard to fathom why a 80%'er would want to sell a completed project to begin with.
Not something I would choose to do personally unless it was just the parts I accumulated
for the build
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, your saying that if a 'completed' 80% pistol frame. or other is sold out of state, there is no serial number required???
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So, your saying that if a 'completed' 80% pistol frame. or other is sold out of state, there is no serial number required???
View Quote
Correct, it would be treated the same as any other (legal) firearm without a serial number.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was referring to out of state sale. I should've been more explicit.
View Quote
Does not matter. There is nothing illegal (federally) about a handgun without a SN. Lots of pre68 guns without SN still in circulation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In the OP's case, it's not a handgun - yet.  Not clear if USPS will ship an "other".

Before anyone goes off, Polymer 80 frames can be built w/ a 16" bbl and a stock, thus making them rifles.  Until it's assembled into a working firearm, it's not a pistol, nor a rifle.  It's an "other", same as a AR lower.
View Quote
An 80% AR RECEIVER is different than a completed P80 handgun receiver, which is treated like a stripped glock frame.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
An 80% AR RECEIVER is different than a completed P80 handgun receiver, which is treated like a stripped glock frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.  A receiver is a receiver, regardless of what type of firearm it's for or could become.  A stripped Glock frame, an AR receiver, and a completed P80 are all treated exactly the same.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  An 80% AR RECEIVER is different than a completed P80 handgun receiver, which is treated like a stripped glock frame.
View Quote
A completed 80% AR lower is an "other", as is a completed P80 receiver.  Neither is a pistol until it's built as such.  Take your P80, drop in a 16" bbl, stick it in one of those Israeli chassis things w/ the stock, boom, you've got a Glock carbine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, If you are in MI and its completed.. You need to destroy or register it as now its considered a handgun... I built a P80 earlier this year and did much research on the matter.... I did laser engrave a serial on mine but it is NOT required in MI although they will not like it at all... To sell properly it must be registered! You can still register without a serial, just put N/A and yourself as the manufacturer.. Remember, If its completed (milled out and no parts) and you do not reg it you ARE in violation! If I was you I would just destroy verses forgetting about it and getting into a mess by accident later..100 is NOT worth it! BTW states laws vary and MI laws are specific on this matter...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, it's not.  A receiver is a receiver, regardless of what type of firearm it's for or could become.  A stripped Glock frame, an AR receiver, and a completed P80 are all treated exactly the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true in MI.. While a AR receiver is considered a weapon it can be freely sold... In MI a handgun MUST be registered to be sold and transferred.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Not true in MI.. While a AR receiver is considered a weapon it can be freely sold... In MI a handgun MUST be registered to be sold and transferred.
View Quote
Federally it's not a handgun til it's built as one.  Can Michigan prove OP never intended it to build it as a Glock carbine w/ 16" bbl & stock?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Federally it's not a handgun til it's built as one.  Can Michigan prove OP never intended it to build it as a Glock carbine w/ 16" bbl & stock?
View Quote
Why don't you pop on over to MI and test your freedom for us? Let me know how wrong I was after!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not true in MI.. While a AR receiver is considered a weapon it can be freely sold... In MI a handgun MUST be registered to be sold and transferred.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're failing to understand that a receiver is just that.  It's not a handgun until built as one.  Under MI law a receiver isn't even a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You're failing to understand that a receiver is just that.  It's not a handgun until built as one.  Under MI law a receiver isn't even a firearm.
View Quote
Right, so for the sake of argument, who's to say this chunk of plastic isn't just a toy/airsoft gun?  It's not serialized.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I never fail to be amazed on this board,,, Someone always steps in and the bar goes up!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Right, so for the sake of argument, who's to say this chunk of plastic isn't just a toy/airsoft gun?  It's not serialized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still a firearm under federal law
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
and that's why one should never seek legal advice on arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Why don't you pop on over to MI and test your freedom for us? Let me know how wrong I was after!
View Quote
I've got time over Christmas, a Poly 80 receiver that needs drilling, and my LGS has a 16" Glock bbl & stock.  Buy that for me & pay my gas to & from and we have a deal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've got time over Christmas, a Poly 80 receiver that needs drilling, and my LGS has a 16" Glock bbl & stock.  Buy that for me & pay my gas to & from and we have a deal.
View Quote
Oh come on. Tell him the truth. Nobody from Texas gives a shit about gun laws in Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Why don't you pop on over to MI and test your freedom for us? Let me know how wrong I was after!
So you actually want me to pay you to act all retarded and attempt to go to Jail? DEAL! If you let me video you doing it!@ It will be a classic!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Oh come on. Tell him the truth. Nobody from Texas gives a shit about gun laws in Michigan.
View Quote
Oh, I'd do it just for the 16" bbl.  Don't care about the stock.  But the RV only gets about 12 mpg, so it'll cost him.

I do care about Massachusetts and Connecticut gun laws, though.  Connecticut presents some interesting challenges for ARs, mostly resolved through rotation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  So you actually want me to pay you to act all retarded an attempt to go to Jail? DEAL! If you let me video you doing it!@ It will be a classic!
View Quote
Do you actually have to register rifles up there too?  How do they deal w/ an out-of-stater building a semi-auto rifle in Michigan?  Shoot me an IM if you're serious.

How are the roads up there?  Never driven in serious snow.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you actually have to register rifles up there too?  How do they deal w/ an out-of-stater building a semi-auto rifle in Michigan?  Shoot me an IM if you're serious.

View Quote
He'd still be selling to an out of state resident.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  So you actually want me to pay you to act all retarded an attempt to go to Jail? DEAL! If you let me video you doing it!@ It will be a classic!

No registration for rifles! Only handguns... The roads are not for southerners... You will panic and kill yourself! <joking! Driving in snow is easy if you don't drive like a maniac... I dont think it matters for rifles if you are out of state.. You still need a background check @ an FFL for the lower though.. Unless of course you buy it private! OR build an 80%
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread could go 5 stars !

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  No registration for rifles! Only handguns... The roads are not for southerners... You will panic and kill yourself! <joking! Driving in snow is easy if you don't drive like a maniac... I dont think it matters for rifles if you are out of state.. You still need a background check @ an FFL for the lower though.. Unless of course you buy it private! OR build an 80%
View Quote
I'm not buying OP's lower - I said I had a Polymer 80 lower of my own ready to drill.  If you want me to drive to Michigan to demonstrate to you that it's perfectly legal to build an unserialized rifle out of a Polymer 80 lower, I will, but you're buying me the 16" bbl, stock, & paying for my gas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put a serial on one of mine just because I carry it and don't want the "ghost gun" hassle if I have to use it.  I had Atomic Engraving do it for me.  They sell frames and laser engrave them.  No affiliation just a happy customer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm not buying OP's lower - I said I had a Polymer 80 lower of my own ready to drill.  If you want me to drive to Michigan to demonstrate to you that it's perfectly legal to build an unserialized rifle out of a Polymer 80 lower, I will, but you're buying me the 16" bbl, stock, & paying for my gas.
View Quote
Doesn't matter for you anyway, the stupid registration only effects MI residents.

Residents of all other states can bring and use pistols all day every day without registration, even carrying concealed with valid permits.

You could build that P80 frame into a pistol without worrying about the registration, let alone a rifle.

That aside, since the OP confirmed it functioned fine, I'm going to assume it was assembled at one point.

And since the easiest, most common, assembly would be a pistol, I think it is highly likely that it would need registered or destroyed at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top