Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2018 12:13:56 AM EDT
Edit to add poll, what is your favorite compact weapons light and why.

I'm gonna list the problems I think each have (I have with each one)

APLC- have to add a battery to my collection, lots of knock offs out there so you might get the wrong one, easy to fuck up the constant on

TLR7- activation is fucked up, early ones had flickering problems and don't know if it's fixed, easy to fuck up the constant on

Surefire Compact- most expensive (not by much though), easy to fuck up the constant on, lowest lumens, no lock out

Olight PL Mini- the recharge is a deal breaker for me and I've never dealt with them

I want to get one on the way, and it involves a holster purchase as well, so I want to get it right the first time
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
John Lovell does a video review on one, and shows how to activate it on a Glock 19:

Streamlight TLR-7 and TLR-8 FLASHLIGHT Review

I'm interested in buying one, but finding a holster for one (with RTI) is difficult.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John Lovell does a video review on one, and shows how to activate it on a Glock 19:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bjXGCskqk

I'm interested in buying one, but finding a holster for one (with RTI) is difficult.
View Quote
Thanks, haven't seen that before, it answeres a couple of questions for me.

Only thing I wish is that it didn't have constant on at all.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Has Streamlight fixed flickering issues with TLR7?  Last I heard Streamlight was basically ignoring the issue.

Streamlight also needs to make a TLR7 version with paddle switches.  The current switch makes users with smaller hands have modify their firing grip to activate the light.  IMHO, it was stupid to make the switches on the TLR7 different from all their other TLR models.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one on a G19 and I have average sized hands.  It's difficult to activate the light with my thumb.  The other issue is that if you don't hold the button for at least one second before letting it go, the light stays on.  As mentioned above, it should have a way to make the light momentary only when activated.  I love the size and weight of the light but, I'm seriously considering replacing it with one of my TLR-1 lights.  The only problem is I have to buy yet another holster.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, I had made up my mind, now I'm undecided again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't go wrong with the tried and true TLR-1.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they over hang my glock 19 muzzle and the top of the light gets baked with carbon.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with the tried and true TLR-1.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they over hang my glock 19 muzzle and the top of the light gets baked with carbon.
View Quote
To big for a CCW piece for me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has Streamlight fixed flickering issues with TLR7?  Last I heard Streamlight was basically ignoring the issue.

Streamlight also needs to make a TLR7 version with paddle switches.  The current switch makes users with smaller hands have modify there firing grip to activate the light.  IMHO, it was stupid to make the switches on the TLR7 different from all their other TLR models.
View Quote
I have larger hands but same issue still. It’s now at home on my CZ Scorpion, and works much better for me on that platform.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have larger hands but same issue still. It’s now at home on my CZ Scorpion, and works much better for me on that platform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Streamlight also needs to make a TLR7 version with paddle switches.  The current switch makes users with smaller hands have modify there firing grip to activate the light.  IMHO, it was stupid to make the switches on the TLR7 different from all their other TLR models.
I have med-small hands, carry a G-19 and I have a TLR7 for it. It was the first handgun light  I ever bought,  so I learned how to use it without having anything else to compare to. The activation on the Tlr7 does feel a bit awkward until you get used to pushing the tabs forward, not pressing inwards..

That being said the tlr7 with paddles would be awesome, but as it is its a great light. Its well built, and has a lock out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have med-small hands, carry a G-19 and I have a TLR7 for it. It was the first handgun light  I ever bought,  so I learned how to use it without having anything else to compare to. The activation on the Tlr7 does feel a bit awkward until you get used to pushing the tabs forward, not pressing inwards..

That being said the tlr7 with paddles would be awesome, but as it is its a great light. Its well built, and has a lock out.
View Quote
Agreed!
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Another video that may help:

Streamlight TLR-7 Weapon Light: Does It Suck?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump for poll and discussion
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm well my TLR7 and M&P9 2.0 arrive tomorrow... I guess Ill find out if this is a good combo.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, I like the xc-1 lights. They do lack in the lumen dept, but they were made for close up ID and personally I always have my handheld on me, so if I need more lumens for further distances, I've got it.

What I do like about it is the switches are very easy to use, it's super compact and it fits the g19 like a glove because it was made for it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly, I like the xc-1 lights. They do lack in the lumen dept, but they were made for close up ID and personally I always have my handheld on me, so if I need more lumens for further distances, I've got it.

What I do like about it is the switches are very easy to use, it's super compact and it fits the g19 like a glove because it was made for it.
View Quote
Does it have a lock out?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I have Streamlight (double and single battery models), a couple of the cheap ($40 from Walmart lights) and a couple of the PL Mini's.

I don't like having to take the light off the pistol to change batteries (streamlight 2 battery).

I worried (maybe needlessly) about the plastic streamlight breaking.

The two cheap Walmart (just remember the brand - Nebo) lights have not failed, yet.

I bought one PL Mini for a P01.  I do like the USB charging feature.  At home I charge the light by my chair or on the counter in the mud room.  When we go on a road trip I take a charger cord with me.  I can charge it in the car/truck or once we get home (parent's house) I can charge it where we charge our phones.

I liked that first one well enough I bought a second one for the other P01.

I've noticed the battery will hold a charge (meaning when I attach the charger the green light in the cord comes on) for 3 to 4 weeks if I haven't used the light (recliner/basket P01).  The one I carry gets put on charge once a week, or when I think about it, as I do occasionally light it up.

For my AR15 carbine I always have to remember to grab some batteries for the light when we go on a road trip.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Hm, no love for the APLC here?

Does the Surefire have a lockout?

I like the side button "constant on" on the surefire -vs worrying about how long you tap the control on everything else.

I really like the light pattern from the APL-C over the Surefire

This seems like a petty difference but I cover pistol lights with tape when I do a lot of daylight shooting.  I don't think that would work with the Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does the Surefire have a lockout?

I like the side button "constant on" on the surefire -vs worrying about how long you tap the control on everything else.

I really like the light pattern from the APL-C over the Surefire

This seems like a petty difference but I cover pistol lights with tape when I do a lot of daylight shooting.  I don't think that would work with the Surefire.
View Quote
I wanted to like the APL-C but too many issues reported with it.  Flickering when dry firing, personally experienced this, to it just not working.  They also seem to not be as durable as other lights as I have seen a lot of reports of the rails mounts breaking on the APL series.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Just wanted to add stealthgear makes a holster for the g-19/tlr7-8 combo for around $100
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Have both the olight and tlr7

I wont be getting any more tlr7s.  The switches suck imho.  Not intuitive at all.

Long press for momentary, short press for constant on.

Honestly, if they made it press once and hold for monetary (as long as you kept switch held), and double press for constant on.... it would be a winner.  But the way they have it set up sucks balls.

The olight is intuitive and rechargeable and I like the switches better.

Ive beat the shit out of olight products and am happy with the durability.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have both the olight and tlr7

I wont be getting any more tlr7s.  The switches suck imho.  Not intuitive at all.

Long press for momentary, short press for constant on.

Honestly, if they made it press once and hold for monetary (as long as you kept switch held), and double press for constant on.... it would be a winner.  But the way they have it set up sucks balls.

The olight is intuitive and rechargeable and I like the switches better.

Ive beat the shit out of olight products and am happy with the durability.
View Quote
Which Olight?  The PL Mini?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Based on the poll, MR Guns-n-gear, and Warrior Poets, I've got the TLR7 in my shopping cart.  If there are no more brilliant insights offered by tonight I'll order.

I just got a G4 19 so I need sights, light and holster.

I'm hoping and thinking the activation is a training issue that I can overcome.  Otherwise the TLR7 has the best combination of features for me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#24]
You've probably already ordered but, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either the TLR7 or the Olight. I have both, use the TLR7 pretty much exclusively. They're both great.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You've probably already ordered but, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either the TLR7 or the Olight. I have both, use the TLR7 pretty much exclusively. They're both great.
View Quote
I have ordered, but thanks for the reaffirmation.

How much night training do you do, and how did you overcome the activation (or was it just not a problem)?

The recharge operation on the Olive was a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I edc an olight on my G19 and love it. I don't think I'll ever go back to a non-rechargeable light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have ordered, but thanks for the reaffirmation.

How much night training do you do, and how did you overcome the activation (or was it just not a problem)?

The recharge operation on the Olive was a deal breaker for me.
View Quote
I work night shift so I train low light/no light frequently. The activation took me about 2 weeks to get used to, because I'd used the TLR1 for so long but I didn't need to adjust my grip at all. With the TLR1, I'd find myself activating the light unintentionally, which was why I started looking at other models.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Got all the components of my new system in. Honestly I don't think the activation is much worse than the APL I used before. But that's just practicing in a garage. I'll take it to the range tomorrow, will be a couple of weeks before I can shoot at night.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really like my APLc but was reluctant to comment because I don’t have any experience with the other lights in your poll. I love the ergonomics of the activation paddles, but I have had the issue a couple times with the constant on failing to activate. It’s kind of like if I didn’t press the paddle firmly enough, it didn’t “click” properly. It’s not a real deal breaker for me personally, because I still like the design of the paddles compared to some larger lights I’ve used.

I haven’t had any issues with the light flickering or otherwise malfunctioning during either dry fire or live. I haven’t put it through a class though, which I’d like to do soon. I did have one time when I thought the battery had died on me after not using it for a couple months, but when I loosened and retightened the bezel / cap, it turned on again and has been working ever since.

Having said that, I’m really hoping that they have a Gen 2 APLc in the works that is around 400 lumens. In my opinion, it’s pretty effective for being only 200, but of course I’d love for it to be brighter. I think the package is the perfect size and design. It would be great if they addressed the reliability issues, even if it hasn’t been a big problem for me personally.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got all the components of my new system in. Honestly I don't think the activation is much worse than the APL I used before. But that's just practicing in a garage. I'll take it to the range tomorrow, will be a couple of weeks before I can shoot at night.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55313/BEC28528-5B2F-48F4-93C5-3383E7336191_jpeg-765313.JPG
View Quote
@Currahee

What mag extension are you running there?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@Currahee

What mag extension are you running there?
View Quote
It's a pierce, doesn't add any rounds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a pierce, doesn't add any rounds.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I edc an olight on my G19 and love it. I don't think I'll ever go back to a non-rechargeable light.
View Quote
I ordered an Olight PL mini Saturday for my 19. Rechargeable, small size, 400 lumens got my attention.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Good choice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I love my Glock light.. People complain because they are not super bright but for home defense I don't want to blind myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top