Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2020 9:18:38 PM EDT
I'm going to be driving from Connecticut to Florida, I am a permit holder here in Connecticut and also in Florida. What  do you feel the best way to transport in my vehicle. I was thinking handgun in a case in my trunk and ammunition up front and glove box.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for info.

Being from Pa and doing some traveling back and forth for 35 years, If pulled, don't say nuffin!

NY, NJ, & Maryland are troublesome. There is a beautiful highway down Eastern Pa in.the west of the Delaware River. Not interstate, so slower and may not fit your needs.

I have NC & Pa CCW, so my permit is only disrespected in Maryland.

If it was me, I would lock it in a cabled box in the trunk, with the ammo seperate, just like you said
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d recommend contacting the state police of each state you’d pass through for guidance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d recommend contacting the state police of each state you’d pass through for guidance.
View Quote

No

There are federal guidelines for traveling through states with a handgun that trump state rules or suggestions.

Look that up. It’s basically carrying your gun and ammo separate and locked in the trunk if you have one or back if you don’t. Also not making stops “unrelated to travel”.

Stopping for gas/food/sleep is ok, pit stop at an aquarium maybe not so much.

I would lock up and drive straight through to PA. Stop, get gas, whatever. Leave gun in trunk and do the 20’minutes through Md. then stop and holster up, you’re good there to Fl with a permit.

That’s what I do. Also don’t drive like an a hole and you’re less likely to have issue
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I take I 81 to 66 then 17 to Fredericksburg then 95. Stay out of Jersey. SC doesn't recognize non resident FL permit. Only a few miles in Maryland.
I don't pull off the interstate for gas in the troubled states.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No

There are federal guidelines for traveling through states with a handgun that trump state rules or suggestions.

Look that up. It’s basically carrying your gun and ammo separate and locked in the trunk if you have one or back if you don’t. Also not making stops “unrelated to travel”.

I would lock up and drive straight through to PA. Stop, get gas, whatever. Leave gun in trunk and do the 20’minutes through Md. then stop and holster up, you’re good there to Fl with a permit.

That’s what I do. Also don’t drive like an a hole and you’re less likely to have issue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

I believe there was sarcasm involved.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
And watch out for Richland Co in SC-the SO loves to run radar on I95 and are quite reckless about it. Really surprised the SP doesn't tell them to stay off of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Be very careful in Maryland if your CCW is attached to your vehicle registration. Maryland State Police believe that having a CCW is probable cause to search your vehicle for a loaded gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

ROTFL!

The cops in Maryland are the problem not the solution!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be deeply concerned about NJ.
I believe it is illegal to even possess hollowpoint ammo in NJ unless it is in your own residence.

When traveling through states that do not honor any of my permits (PA, UT, FL) I do not store anything firearms related up front within reach of the driver's seat; glove box, console, etc.
That includes ammo.

My method for traveling (and I have done some) is to avoid the nastiest states as much as possible; NJ, NY, MD, etc.

My usual route to FL from where I live (36 miles west of Phila.) is to drive west through PA and then drop down through MD on I-81 where I only need to drive 11 miles to the West Virginia border.

I use three of those "Snap Safe" lock boxes with cable tethers.  One in the glove box that can be moved around the vehicle, another one under the rear passenger's seat (behind the driver's seat) and a third one tethered in the cargo bay.
Three of these boxes give flexibility, allowing you to handle firearms with the most discretion in the most different circumstances.

Call me paranoid if you want.

ETA: Also remember that NC is a "Duty to Inform" state; in the event that you get pulled over.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever happened to peaceable journey laws?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to peaceable journey laws?
View Quote

I believe you are referring to The Firearms Owner's Protection Act passed under President Reagan?

What happened to it is what happens to every "compromise" hammered out with the goddamn Liberals.
They now ignore it.

Basically, the anti-gunners and their state legislatures have "reinterpreted" the FOPA to be an "affirmative defense".
What that is is a fancy term that means that you can be arrested if you are transporting a firearm that in any way shape or form "may" be interpreted to be in violation of an anti-gun state law.
And you then "may" use the FOPA as your defense in court.  In the meantime, you can just cool your heels in jail.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Follow FOPA (firearm owners protection act) and follow it to a T.

Keep a physical printed copy of it in your car.

Drive the speed limit and don’t draw any unnecessary attention. There’s nothing you can really do if some asshole decides to ignore the law and arrest you anyways. But you can do the everything possible to follow the law and set the stage to win in court if it ever got there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top