Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2021 10:16:44 AM EDT
It had been resting a year, so I gave it basic light strip/lube. While working the trigger and using my other hand to keep the hammer from slamming fwd, I was dripping in CLP to the fcg bits. Afterward it seems to be a bit off besides a better pull/break after the re-lube.

Without a range trip or another of the same gun on hand, should the hammer be resting so that there is about 1/16-1/8 inch slack from the firing pin? I don't think it was like that before...

The rest of the behavior seems normal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Normal. Give the hammer spur a wiggle, there's that much play when not under tension.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my SP2022's likes to lose its trigger pin retainer which causes the trigger pin to slide out slightly and cause problems. Might be worth a check.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
That roll pin is a one time use item....or do you mean it's slipping past the safety lock?  That sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Normal. Give the hammer spur a wiggle, there's that much play when not under tension.
View Quote

I bought it used last year and it's been to the range once. Always was a bit crunchy at the final break, esp in DA. But not now. All I know for comparison is my cz75 is firm up to the pin after the close. Maybe I just finally got it wet in the right spot with clp.

I'll trust it enough for a range trip when I get back to my run by seniors club...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Just checked both of mine. A slight gap between the hammer and firing pin when the hammer is down appears to be normal. IIRC, I think one of the internal safeties holds the hammer back a hair so it doesn't contact the firing pin, as one part of the drop safety.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Just checked my 2022, I can push my hammer forward about 1/16-1/8 inch before it stops.  Seems like this is the norm for these SIG pistols.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
It is fine. The hammer stays back slightly to clear the firing pin block. The SP2022 is an outstanding pistol. Sig has always treated it like a red headed step child but really they are solid pistols. Outside of the P320, the SP2022 is the second best pistol Sig currently makes. IMO the SP2022 is better than the current classic P series. There was a test done years ago down in some South American country, (I can’t remember which), they beat the hell out of the SP2022. Fired something like over 100,000 rounds though it. Just really pushed the pistol. It did well. There use to be videos on YT of some of the tests but I haven’t seen them in years. I have two SP2022s, a V1, Swiss made with the internal extractor and the newer V2 made in the USA. Both are excellent. I would gladly trust my life to one if I had to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top