Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 5:51:45 PM EDT
A 1911 is about the only thing I have missing from my collection.  Not looking for something super expensive or fancy.  I was recently picking something up from my neighborhood home based FFL friend and mentioned I was looking at picking up a budget 1911, specifically one of the SDS imports basic GI in .45.  He mainly just does transfers, but does have a small amount of various guns instock for sale.  He pulled out an ATI 1911 that he picked up NIB back in 2012ish.  It has sat in the back of his safe since then untouched.  Said $400 out the door.  Slide/frame fit is good, trigger kinda feels tad heavy, but not terrible.

I don't have much experience with 1911s, this will mainly be just for occasional range use.  It looks like a SDS/Tisas with shipping/tax/transfer will run me about $70 more.  Are they worth the extra $ or is the ATI good to go?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a GI for a cheap entry model.  The beavertail safety and skeleton hammer were a nice addition.  The bottom of the thumb safety was digging into my skin, so I took it out and used a dremel on the ridges to smooth them out.

Overall, a nice shooter with good fitting parts.  I was hitting repeatedly at 25yds on a small metal target.  Up close it seems to shoot low, but that may be me.

I'm no expert by any means, but I like my ATI.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m not an expert either, just a guy who likes to shoot and wants a cheap gun that runs and is reasonably accurate.

The SDS GI model has checked all the boxes for over a year for me. Finish seems durable and no malfunctions yet, run in hot or cold weather, clean or dirty, lubed or dry. YMMV, but I’m happy with SDS.

In your situation I would consider the ATI just because of the price difference, I think my SDS was ~$390 at the time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Situation you describe, I would buy the ATI.  Both are going to be about the same.  The heavy trigger you can either get used to, have a smith work on it, or change out springs and parts to try to improve if you are a tinkerer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want it as a shooter I would spend a few bucks more and get something with Novak sights and a beavertail, like the mid grade Rock Islands, unless you're set on the GI look.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve seen dozens of cheap 1911’s have issues and would never waste my money on one. For a little over $500 you can get into a used SA or Ruger which are far better than any of the imports and have something that you’ll actually be moderately proud to own instead of a heaping pile of imported scrap metal.

You don’t need to spend $2K+ to get a halfway decent $1911, but you do need to spend more than $400.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The ATI would be descent buy at $400, for just range use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
As others stated. SDS has tiny USGI style sight. ATI seems to have taller sight similar to the basic Colt and Springfield Milspec. It would be the best to find out if you can handle tiny GI sights first. It would cost you more to upgrade sights later.
USGI sights (thin front sight blade and low profile)

Tall SA Milspec sights (wide front sight blade and higher profile with dots)

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a TISAS GI 1911A1 and replaced the grips (VZ) and replaced the sights (Harrison Design). I may never be proud to own it, but it's everything I need and nothing I don't. I own other 1911's, none were expensive and all of them work.

I can't get myself to pay a premium for 120 year old technology and a magazine capacity of 8 rounds. I have shopped and drooled over Wilson Combat, Heinie, Baer, Nighthawk etc. but in the end I couldn't justify the purchase simply because I wouldn't want to wear out a world class firearm. I don't suffer any loss putting wear on a basic tool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As others stated. SDS has tiny USGI style sight. ATI seems to have taller sight similar to the basic Colt and Springfield Milspec. It would be the best to find out if you can handle tiny GI sights first. It would cost you more to upgrade sights later.
USGI sights (thin front sight blade and low profile)
https://i.imgur.com/KBYhCZu.jpg

Tall SA Milspec sights (wide front sight blade and higher profile with dots)
https://i.imgur.com/ErGZWog.jpg
View Quote

Look at the difference in the slide and frame milling between these two.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the SDS 1911 GI type and its been flawless the tiny sights are GI but they are right on , never a problem in the few hundred rds I fired so far . had a ATI a few years back and no problem with it either , the ATI is right at the shop , I would take the SDS made in Tukey they have been making guns for 100 years even HK stuff .
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Look at the difference in the slide and frame milling between these two.
View Quote

Look at the milling… I could do better with a dremel and a 6 pack.  

The few bargain guns I have bought throughout the years were disappointments.

Metal quality is also a thing that is not readily apparent.  
Colt has a competition line that I would bet my life on.  
Prices for those were 899.00 but recent listings are selling well over…
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
If I may suggest that you can't beat a Rock Island 1911 in any size. Take a look at them and choose the one that fits you the best. I have built four nice shooters by just using the Rock island frames -- average cost of each firearm -- $369.00 total.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top