Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2020 7:02:35 PM EDT
I wanted a retention holster for my training/ if riots make their way to my neighborhood belt.  Trying to find a Safariland and figure out their model numbers wasn’t something I wanted to deal with right now.  So I went out on a limb and tried Alien Gears new Rapid Force duty holster.  Unfortunately, the only color option is black, so I wrapped it in GearSkin Slocam pattern cordura.  

It was a bitch to do, but I think it turned out pretty well.  This holster has so many damn angles on it, and the cordura frays a bitch when you cut it.  Hopefully it doesn’t continue fraying.  Trimming this stuff is pretty rough on blades too.  Went through two exacto blades doing this.    

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks as if it took a while to get just the way you wanted. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks as if it took a while to get just the way you wanted. Looks good though.
View Quote

I’d say an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it..Good job.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Howd you do that? Ive got some MARPAT camo id like to use on some black safarilands.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Howd you do that? Ive got some MARPAT camo id like to use on some black safarilands.
View Quote
Yeah, I would love to see a tutorial.  I have a Safariland holster that works great but is starting to.get ugly.  I would like to try this.

Nice job, OP.  Looks good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, I would love to see a tutorial.  I have a Safariland holster that works great but is starting to.get ugly.  I would like to try this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dig it.

+1 for wanting to see the steps required.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dig it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dig it.

I used GearSkin adhesive backed cordura.  Just peel and stick, then trim.  Safarilands should be FAR easier especially if they’re light bearing due to their shape.  If you try this, try to measure and cut a piece as close to the length needed top to bottom.  I didn’t and wish I had.  It kept sticking to itself, which can be pulled back apart but it wasn’t fun.  

Due to the shape of the Rapid Force I used 2 pieces to cover most of it.  Then a few smaller pieces to cover parts of the back side.  

I don’t think there’s any US retailers, unfortunately.  I ordered it here.  Definitely wasn’t quick to come in.  

GearSkin
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be able to find some spray adhesive that could adhere the fabric to the holster.  The stuff I used is adhesive backed.  Just peel and stick on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Here’s another option.  It is vinyl though and didn’t turn out nearly as well as the GearSkin Cordura.  

Gunskins

Easier and quicker to get.  I got some on Amazon to try out first.  

Here was my attempt at the Gunskins wrap.

This didn’t do very well in areas with hard angles or big changes in shape.  It wouldn’t really stretch around the bottom part where the light goes.  This also needs a hair dryer or heat gun to make the vinyl take shape which made it extremely flimsy also pretty difficult to handle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's another option.  It is vinyl though and didn't turn out nearly as well as the GearSkin Cordura.  

Gunskins

Easier and quicker to get.  I got some on Amazon to try out first.  

Here was my attempt at the Gunskins wrap.
https://i.imgur.com/KcuWPd2h.jpg

This didn't do very well in areas with hard angles or big changes in shape.  It wouldn't really stretch around the bottom part where the light goes.  This also needs a hair dryer or heat gun to make the vinyl take shape which made it extremely flimsy also pretty difficult to handle.
View Quote
A buddy tried that stuff on a scope. He did not speak highly of the product or process.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A buddy tried that stuff on a scope. He did not speak highly of the product or process.
View Quote

I’m not that impressed with it either.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I like it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Those look nice but I just hit mine with some Krylon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks great. I need a holster too and safariland is driving me nuts. They really need a better holster finder.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have fabric, you could try this double sided adhesive. I've been thinking about doing this recently with a 6378 w/light.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks great. I need a holster too and safariland is driving me nuts. They really need a better holster finder.
View Quote

If it’s for a Glock, I’d recommend checking out the Rapid Force from Alien Gear.  So far it’s been great.  Draw is very fast.  Used it last Friday in a private lesson with Dave Harrington.  I felt no difference in draw time from any of my non retention kydex holsters.  

If I could do it again, I’d go Level 3 with the RDS hood though.  Mine is just Level 2.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If it’s for a Glock, I’d recommend checking out the Rapid Force from Alien Gear.  So far it’s been great.  Draw is very fast.  Used it last Friday in a private lesson with Dave Harrington.  I felt no difference in draw time from any of my non retention kydex holsters.  

If I could do it again, I’d go Level 3 with the RDS hood though.  Mine is just Level 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super Dave?!? Dude is in my top 2 of trainers to get with. Ive watched a few videos listened to a ton of podcasts with him. The way he breaks things down and explains things really make sense to me.
Dont want to derail the thread but what class and how did you like it?

Ill check out the holster.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Super Dave?!? Dude is in my top 2 of trainers to get with. Ive watched a few videos listened to a ton of podcasts with him. The way he breaks things down and explains things really make sense to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super Dave was awesome to get instruction from.  Really good dude definitely glad I got the opportunity to train with him.  I’m still trying to digest everything he laid out.  

I had a private lesson with him.  Onsight Firearms Training hosted him in Pittsburgh that weekend and I got invited to a private lesson with him for 3 hours.  He definitely made sure to reiterate and engage with me to make sure I was understanding his instruction and explanation of things.  I’ll definitely jump on any opportunities in the future to train with him again.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, nice. Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow, nice. Thanks for posting this.
View Quote

Sure thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top