Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 10:25:59 PM EDT
I'd like to use my Colt Combat Commander for hunting hogs, and I'd like to use those 255 hard cast loads.

This would not be my regular ammo, but I foresee putting at least 200 rounds through it.

Would you install a different barrel and spring?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Tim, the owner, recommends a heavier recoil spring if you're going to shoot them a lot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy spring and rock on. Barrel should be fine
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you. Any particular brands of springs you like?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you. Any particular brands of springs you like?
View Quote
Wolff Gun Springs
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't myself, unless the whole idea is to specifically use your 1911 to take a hog.

If the main idea is to hunt hogs with a handgun, I'd look for a good deal on a used Ruger Super Blackhawk.  I think you'll find the 44 magnum's capability much more satisfying than anything you can fire from a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
nope, but then 45 acp would not be my first choice for hogs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't myself, unless the whole idea is to specifically use your 1911 to take a hog.

If the main idea is to hunt hogs with a handgun, I'd look for a good deal on a used Ruger Super Blackhawk.  I think you'll find the 44 magnum's capability mubych more satisfying than anything you can fire from a 1911.
View Quote
This. SBH ftw.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I would up the recoil spring from 18-20 or 22#. I personally wouldn’t install a Shok buffer they arent worth the plastic they are made out of IMO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I would, in addition to the heavier recoil spring, (but not too heavy, some people go to far), also install a heavier mainspring and a small radius firing pin stop.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you planning on shooting .45acp +P or the .45 super version? If you intend to shoot .45 super you should definitely swap springs and go with a small radius firing pin stop. If you are just going to shoot a couple hundred +P loads you can probably get away with the springs in the gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried using non-stock, heavier Woolf springs, and even added the blue, plastic Shok buffers to my Night Hawk Custom 10mm and Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm. It caused both guns to function radically differently. The slides weren't moving smoothly and the Silverback had several jams. I removed the springs and the Shok buffers and put the original springs back and both guns run flawlessly. I don't use Buffalo Bore, I use the more powerful Underwood Ammo 140 gr LeHigh Xtreme Penetrator in both guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top