Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 12:16:18 PM EDT
How/what would/do you carry while wearing coveralls and a winter coat?

My wife and I were walking our dogs last night (70lbs Mastiff/Sharpei mutt and a 55lbs Lab mutt) when a dog got loose from the house we were passing. Luckily it was about 15lbs of mini something-that-looked-like-a-collie.

But looking back at the incident, if it had been a larger and equally aggressive dog, my G19 on my belt under bibs/coat would have done me absolutely no good, and the S&W 642 the I did have accessable seems a bit light so I'd like to step it up.
Seeing as it was also dark I'd also like it's replacement to be able to mount a light.

Ideal solution would be to figure out how to carry my G19 such that I could get to it easily, secondarily would be picking up a G19 sized DA/SA that can mount a light and pocket carrying that.

Kind of a niche role to purchase a gun for, but it would be an excuse to buy the P07 I've been eyeing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Could you fit the G19 in your jacket pocket?  If so, buy one of those $15 trigger holsters from glockstore and put in your pocket for the walk. If this is only for walking the dog at night, it would be perfect assuming you can fit it in your pocket.

Edit:   It’s  called The Mic holster and on amazon for $22
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting idea, I bet it'd work.
I might make one when I get home and try it out.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoulder holster my G19 and usually carry it for winter. One zipper and Im at it. I also carry a 38 snubby with a IWB holster and sometimes holster and all goes into my coat pocket.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok South Texan here coveralls I guess you cannot wear a belt with those?  Seems an OWB holster would fit the bill if that is possible.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Hill People Gear kit bag that I would probably attempt to use if I had to wear coveralls and a coat.

Usually if I've got coveralls on I'll layer a heavy long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and finish with my heavy Carhart hoodie and make do without a coat, especially if walking/working at all. I've made do with that system in temps as low as the low 20's.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Just because you don't have any belt-loops, doesn't mean you can't wear a belt.

Just sayin

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
For those limited times when you need to wear coveralls I would think a Ruger LCR or S&W 640 in any pocket would work fairly well.
.357 is not going to be fun out of a little gun like that but it should be more than adequate for a 2 or 4 legged assailant.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If you wear bibs, just wrap the belt around the outside with an OWB holster on your strong side under your coat.   Or something suitable for coat pocket.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I just carry the G19 or 43 OWB with a Safariland ALS in the winter.  I can access quickly as my coat isn't long.  My bibs have clearance for me to reach inside and draw if needed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Battle belt.  Not super PC, but if it is dark out, you are already wearing bulky clothes, just throw on your war belt rig.  If it is Multicam black its supposed to be invisible at night anyway.

Winter time is also a good time to add a snub nose revolver to the jacket pocket - you can shoot thru the jacket without drawing, and it won't jam like a semi-auto with a slide.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because you don't have any belt-loops, doesn't mean you can't wear a belt.

Just sayin

View Quote
Exactly, that's how I carry at the nude beach.

Seriously though just wear a gun belt over the coveralls with whatever holster.
I use a Galco Instructor's belt with insert, it is plenty stiff to support my G20+17rounds in a paddle holster with no other support from pants.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
J-Frame's with proper ammo have been good self defense handguns for years.  If it works for humans it will work for dogs as long as you can shoot it.  You're over thinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top