Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2020 6:18:02 PM EDT
Other than the simple disassembly is there any reason to upgrade from a III to IV?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG for info
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The easy takedown is a big plus ( I have never owned a mark series Ruger and until the IV came
Out was not the least bit interested) plus it does not have a loaded chamber indicator.
If I already owned a reliable mark III I would not get a new gun, but starting from the ground floor the IV is the sensible option
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Hammer Strut Support

Buy and install this simple little shim block and you can no longer incorrectly assemble your Mark I, II, or III pistols, ( if a shim block for yours is one listed on his website). I ordered one and put it in my Mark II Stainless bull barrel model, and it works. It blocks the space behind the frame grip pin that sometimes captures the hammer strut in the wrong place. No need to up-grade to a Mark IV IMHO.

Shipping is a little slow though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't, I was hoping that the pre MK1V's would be flooding the market when the simplicity of takedown with the MK1V was discovered, not so.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't, I was hoping that the pre MK1V's would be flooding the market when the simplicity of takedown with the MK1V was discovered, not so.
View Quote

I think that the MKIV expanded the Ruger Standard target audience vs. upgraded the current base. Most people I know that have a <MKIV have zero issues with disassembly and reassembly. You can do it in 30 seconds every time if you know the proper technique.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The easy takedown is a big plus ( I have never owned a mark series Ruger and until the IV came
Out was not the least bit interested) plus it does not have a loaded chamber indicator.
If I already owned a reliable mark III I would not get a new gun, but starting from the ground floor the IV is the sensible option
View Quote

Same.  My part-time days in a lgs, gave me a Meh attitude towards them. I put so many back together I just wasn't really interested in them. Always seemed like a unnecessary PITA.  Fast forward 10years and here I am with a MKIV Lite and I love it.

That being said I would probably buy a Early Standard Model.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.
No issues reassembling.
The only complaint is remembering not only when to insert the mag but also to remove it.
Forgetting to remove it caused me more problems than remembering to insert it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#8]
For me being left handed, and ambi safety was worth it. Not to mention they got rid of the stupid loaded chamber indicator. Both of those things are worth upgrading for, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope!!! Get the LCI the F out.... drop in a TK Victory trig and be happy.  If you pay the least bit attention that strut Is Not that big a deal fellas!!

H

Edit to say .... mk3 users MUST put in the TK safety bushing to get rid of the mag insert to dry fire. Not sure that’s a issue on mk4
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold off all my Mark III and II pistols and bought all Mark IV’s.
I then installed Volquertsen triggers in all but one pistol.
The Mark IV is so superior for my uses I can’t see why one would not upgrade.
I think I own over 10 different mark IV’s, I’d have to count and see how many I have to be exact.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still having fun with the Mk1 5.5" bull barrel I bought in 1981.  Damn that thing shoots good.

Never saw a reason to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I still own a very well used Mark II, so I’m PRI a LT not the one to ask about upgrading

Honestly, for anyone who is mechanically inclined enough to assemble an AR, taking apart and reassembling a Mark III should not be an issue.  I do hate the LCI and mag safety of the Mark III, so that is dirk that has to be done to make it worthwhile IMHO.

If I was shopping for a new Ruger Mark pistol, and the same configuration was in the case as both III snd IV and the price was the same, id take the IV.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still having fun with the Mk1 5.5" bull barrel I bought in 1981.  Damn that thing shoots good.

Never saw a reason to replace it.
View Quote

Honestly, I think these pistols get better as they wear in with use.

My Mark II has seen a ton of ammo through it, and the trigger has worn in very smooth.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top