Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2021 10:25:54 AM EDT
I am of the mind that my weak hand will be busy so I have to be able to draw and reholster with just one hand.

I realize the appendix carry folks don't feel that way.

What say you?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You should practice it, but not do it if you can holster more deliberately.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely, but when you are talking about concealed carry, that kind of goes out the window since however you are concealing with will probably re-conceal your holster after the gun is out of it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Appendix carrier here (more than 10 years not that that really means anything).

One handed draw and reholster is very important to me and how easy it is to do in the appendix position is one of the many reasons I carry this way.

One handed draw is something every CCW carrier should practice, it’s essential. Just reholster very deliberately no matter how you carry your gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
As a coffee addict one hand always has a fresh cup in it.
I practice shooting without spilling any.
On the ranch I shoot several rattlesnakes a year and its always an emergency and my hands are always busy.
Shot one weak hand while refueling from a gas can that was squared off with a new pup.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't really see the need for a one handed reholster. Drawing with, and firing one handed(both dominant and non-dominant) is essential. Reholstering, not so much. If I dont have time to reholster at my leisure, I'm not doing it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I am sure that one hand speedy reholstering has caused more than one case of Glock-leg.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't really see the need for a one handed reholster. Drawing with, and firing one handed(both dominant and non-dominant) is essential. Reholstering, not so much. If I dont have time to reholster at my leisure, I'm not doing it.
View Quote

Quoted:
I am sure that one hand speedy reholstering has caused more than one case of Glock-leg.
View Quote

Not so much for speed but thinking about reholstering when carrying a kid is part of my training
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I was trained to do that at two different law enforcement academies.   With the right holster, it's easy and safe.

With the wrong one, it's not easy or safe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This seems like the most sensible statement I've seen.   Can I draw aiwb one handed?  yeah.  Do I want to reholster one handed & hope nothing gets caught in the trigger?  fuck no.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Drawing one handed for sure!! Reholstering one handed is ok with certain types of guns, but may not be recommended with some. Like my 1911 I have no problem reholstering one handed because the safety locks the slide and sear. But my Glock I gotta be more careful because if anything gets in my holster it can pull the trigger. DA/SA guns I can put my thumb behind the hammer to prevent an accident. There's really no need to rush to reholster though. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Fap left-handed, reholster right crew.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was trained to do that at two different law enforcement academies.   With the right holster, it's easy and safe.

With the wrong one, it's not easy or safe.
View Quote

I am a state certified instructor for ODRC and have no issues holstering a pistol in an owb safariland with one hand. However, I teach and practice looking while you holster. If you are holstering your weapon, there is no immediate threat. While some holsters might mitigate safety concerns, an untucked shirt in a polygun trigger guard will not give a shit what model holster you have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't ever plan on holstering in a hurry.  Ever.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Neither one handed reholstering nor fast reholstering is the least consideration to me. Carrying concealed slows drawing and practically slows one handed drawing also, that's a penalty with concealed carry. Should you practice one handed drawing and even reholstering, yes, but it will only mitigate not eliminate the penalty.

You should also practice one handed shooting both strong and weak hand. Doesn't mean that either will be as good as two handed shooting with the strong hand.

Practicing situational awareness pays bigger benefits than any of the above.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what you're talking about.
I draw one handed, always.
Supporting hand may or may not become involved.

I cannot holster my handgun two handed at the four o'clock position.
I have no idea how one would even do that.
I holster my handgun every day.  And draw and reholster regularly; have done it thousands of times, at home and at the firing range.
WTF are you even talking about?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know what you're talking about.
I draw one handed, always.
Supporting hand may or may not become involved.

I cannot holster my handgun two handed at the four o'clock position.
I have no idea how one would even do that.
I holster my handgun every day.  And draw and reholster regularly; have done it thousands of times, at home and at the firing range.
WTF are you even talking about?
View Quote

You are wearing a cover garment, you use your off hand to grab and lift your cover garment so you can get your primary hand on your weapon and draw it.

You need to holster.  You lift your cover garment with your off hand and then holster.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I do both.

I have carried AIWB for the last 4 years and Strongside AIWB for 12 years prior to that. My philosophy for draws has remained unchanged and is the same as what I teach.

Do both. Everything is dictated by environment, conditions, time and opportunity. My two handed draw is far faster then the one handed techniques I use. If environment, conditions, time and opportunity permit then both hands are bringing the heat to the party.

Unfortunately, my crystal ball is out of service so I cannot predict the time, place, or conditions of my threat. I may not have the option. I'm not dropping my three month old daughter to shave a half a second on a first round hit from concealment.

I practice J hooks and claws to move garment and establish master grip one handed. Not ideal but they work. Still would rather have both hands.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can see it for a cop because you might have to reholster to cuff someone if you're alone. Or like the poster a post or 2 below said because you have a kid in your arms. It's still a useful skill that doesn't cost anything to practice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Draw, absolutely. Re-holster, don't care so much.

I sometimes carry with a Raven VGII and I run every morning with a pistol in a belly band that both require two hands to re-holster.

I recently had to draw and fire from concealment while moving in a defensive situation. I would have had no time for any two handed nonsense on the draw and my left hand was busy protecting my neck and face. At the time, I was using a holster that does easily allow for quick one handed re-holstering but can tell you for certain that I was in absolutely no hurry to put that gun away.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Don’t be in a hurry unless you have to be.

Rogers shooting school says that as many as 50% of police shootings are one handed. I suspect it’s less but when you look you’ll see people holding suspects, K-9s, wounded people, their own broken arm, etc. it’s a legitimate concern. But you don’t have to holster quickly, unless you have to.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Does lifting my shirt with my off-hand to draw and reholster AIWB count as one-handed or two-handed?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Two.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I won't carry using a holster a can't draw and holster one handed.  Seen way too many people muzzle their weak hand with crappy holsters.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does lifting my shirt with my off-hand to draw and reholster AIWB count as one-handed or two-handed?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve never been a fan of any holster or carry method that requires two hands to get the weapon into the fight, but after the situation I dealt with a few days ago, if I did own any such holsters, I’d throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’ve never been a fan of any holster or carry method that requires two hands to get the weapon into the fight, but after the situation I dealt with a few days ago, if I did own any such holsters, I’d throw them in the trash.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like to be very proficient with a both two and one handed draw.  

I like to be very deliberate and safe about reholstering.

However many hands it takes, is how many I would use going back into the holster aiwb & iwb.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://imgur.com/aMybZ8X.jpg

@Brawnydog

Charged from behind by a very large, vicious pit bull let loose by a guy I found snooping around my property. Turned around, started backpedaling and drawing at the same time. Got the pistol out and pressed the trigger as soon as I got it up in front of my face. Hit him just as he was starting to leap off the ground and his head was 2 feet from the muzzle as I fired. My left arm was up in front, protecting my head and neck and there was no time for any two handed bullshit. If I’d been carrying with some method that required two hands or extra steps to draw, I’d been in the back of an ambulance at best.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I've long discussed how we prioritize the compromises to concealed carry.  The priority for me has always put concealment below effective gun/caliber, draw speed, one-handed draw, and even comfort.  

Thus for me, almost exclusively, it's OWB under an open shirt, vest, or jacket.

So one-handed draw isn't a problem, but to be honest I never considered one-handed re-holstering as very important.  With OWB it's a given, so not a problem there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Unless you're carrying OWB or Open Carrying, then OF COURSE you will need 2 Hands to Re-Holster.

Drawing should be practiced with 2 AND 1 Hand to cover most possibilities.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry Sniper I don't practice that way, don't know how or what I would do in a real situation, I may be on the ground or flying in the air, hope I don't have to find out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Practice drawing and shooting one hand, sure. When the dogs were alive and I was walking them, good luck getting a second hand to clear the shirt if needed. Hell, I walk to the grocery store also, so half that walk I have one hand holding groceries.

Holstering a gun is a two hands all the way activity. If shit got to the point the gun needed to come out, I'll have a few seconds to help let the adrenaline dump subside after the scene is safe to worry about safely holstering the gun. No reason to ever rush holstering the gun for me as a private citizen. LEO who might have to go from gun to cuff quickly, that's different, but I don't have that job, nor do I carry in a duty OWB holster that makes it much easier to holster the gun one handed.

I guess open carry setup is pretty easy to holster the gun one handed, since there is no cover garment involved, but I still maintain that if the gun comes out, last thing I need to worry about is how fast I can get it back in the holster.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ll just throw this out there as well because I see people fuck this up all the time.

If you carry a gun, train yourself to do all the other random shit with your weak hand.

If you shoot right handed:

Handle your phone with your left.
Carry bags with the left.
Open doors with the left.
Hold your drink with your left.
Dog leash goes in the left.
Etc., etc., etc.

I’ve lost count of the people I’ve seen trying to trying to switch hands or drop shit when they should be shooting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#36]
If you've got your 3 year old in your left arm and a gun in your right hand, and you need to open a car or building door, or need to grab the hand of your 5 year old to hustle them along, one hand reholstering is a very fine thing.

It only takes one menacing dog to put a parent in that situation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, never be in a rush to reholster.

You always want to take the time to clear clothing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I can see needing to reholster with one hand if i have a kid in one or am injured and i need to use keys, phone, or door with my other.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#39]
If for no other reason than I dry fire a lot, two handed reholstering is a big minus to me, also any holster that tries to collapse when empty, even a little bit.

The last thing I want to do after having drawn a gun (on critters usually in my world) is to contain my dog, corral my kids, pick up a rifle or shotgun or drive my truck with a sidearm in my hand

ETA, so getting that thing safely back in the holster with minimum effort is a big plus to me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Brawnydog

Charged from behind by a very large, vicious pit bull let loose by a guy I found snooping around my property. Turned around, started backpedaling and drawing at the same time. Got the pistol out and pressed the trigger as soon as I got it up in front of my face. Hit him just as he was starting to leap off the ground and his head was 2 feet from the muzzle as I fired. My left arm was up in front, protecting my head and neck and there was no time for any two handed bullshit. If I’d been carrying with some method that required two hands or extra steps to draw, I’d been in the back of an ambulance at best.
View Quote

Damn. You were ready just in the nick of time, glad you made it through alright.

Starting to notice just how common one-handed shooting is in real incidents, even among people who've trained in almost nothing but two-handed use. Not always enough time and distance to get a two-handed grip.

As for OP, one-handed draw is mandatory for me when not in a NPE - there, I don't care - it's no gun vs a hard to access gun. Fumbling around with a belly band is still quicker than running to a lockbox in the car.
Reholstering... pocket carry is obviously a yes, belt carry also. Shoulder rigs... some allow it, some not so much. As my guns are DA/DAO I don't feel terribly uncomfortable about shoving them in a pocket if needed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#41]
One handed draw is critical. One handed holster less so but still handy. I keep my back pocket clear and in a pinch have 'secured' guns in my back pocket for a short term. Obviously not ideal but in some conditions it might be more feasible then 'holstering' depending on what kind of holster/gun you have.

With an appendix CCW holster I would not one handed holster without being able to look down and visually confirm.

Quoted:
Don’t be in a hurry unless you have to be.

Rogers shooting school says that as many as 50% of police shootings are one handed. I suspect it’s less but when you look you’ll see people holding suspects, K-9s, wounded people, their own broken arm, etc. it’s a legitimate concern. But you don’t have to holster quickly, unless you have to.
View Quote

1. This.
2. That number is probably accurate but is decreasing as WML are becoming more common. I'd say as little as 8-10 years ago 50% of the LEO's I knew, including night shift guys, did not have a WML so they carried light in off hand. Either way there is still a lot else going on. Opening/closing doors with off hand. Handling a dog. Breaking a fall or putting a hand down for support to get back up. Etc.  If you review video some untrained guys or guys with much older training are more likely to punch out and shoot with one hand when under stress/drawing and firing quick. Also some portion of the time they are literally within arms length of the suspect.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As a coffee addict one hand always has a fresh cup in it.
I practice shooting without spilling any.
On the ranch I shoot several rattlesnakes a year and its always an emergency and my hands are always busy.
Shot one weak hand while refueling from a gas can that was squared off with a new pup.

View Quote

Beat me.

I wouldn’t want to set my coffee down.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I don’t understand the need for speedy one-handed reholstering. For a civilian, that is...

More skills never hurt, but that one seems WAY down on the list of things to spend effort changing your carry rig.  Plus CCW itself involves obstructive clothing- that’s the point, to be hidden.  Single handed easy reholstering seems contrary.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Just noticed that Vincent in Collateral did one handed reholstering. Before I read this thread I'd never noticed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#46]
One handed draw is absolutely necessary.

One handed holstering is absolutely useful.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#47]
with thumb safety guns, one handed reholster is perfectly safe....provided you practiced enough to manipulate the safety as second nature whenever engaging and disengaging the target
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Wait.

Might seem stupid bit bit do you mean one handed?

I always start my draw and then cross my right hand over once I can get it over...  Do people have both hands on their gun when they draw?  

All my training I just pay the instructor and do what he says to do.  Please clarify.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm pretty sure every holster I own allows for one-handed draw. I prefer both hands so I can draw directly into a good two-hand firing grip.

I can't think of a situation where one-hand re-holstering is required. The only holsters where it might be difficult are my shoulder or pocket holsters (which should be removed to be re-holstered), but it's possible with enough care and time. Not a big deal since re-holstering isn't something that needs to be done quickly.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you've got your 3 year old in your left arm and a gun in your right hand, and you need to open a car or building door, or need to grab the hand of your 5 year old to hustle them along, one hand reholstering is a very fine thing.

It only takes one menacing dog to put a parent in that situation.
View Quote
That is a very good point, one I hadn't thought of.

I'd just shove the gun into my belt at that point, if my holster didn't allow for easy one-hand re-holstering (like a shoulder holster). Manual safeties make it safe enough to do in an emergency.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top