Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 3:26:03 PM EDT
I have a chance to get either the 509 Tactical, 509 Mid size or the 509 Compact. I am wondering which one to go with as I like all three but the funds only allow for two of them. I was looking at a Tactical since it is a full size. Then I stated looking at the Mid size as it can run the 15, 17 and 24 round mag's and is a little more concealable. I Then put my hands on the 509 Compact and really like it as well the thing leading me to it is that it can run the 12, 15, 17 and 24 round mags. It is more concealable than the Mid size and can run all of the mag's as stated.

The 509 Tactical is more of a service weapon due to it's size and the Mid size could run as both duty weapon or just a CCW gun and the Compact is more of a CCW gun but could serve as a duty gun with the 15, 17 round mag's. How many of you have these in any combination or have one of any of them and what did you like and not like with them? Which would you guy's recommend for a do it all gun and why?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 509t and got a great deal on it before the wheels all fell off. I picked up because it was set up for an RMR along with being suppressor ready. Overall it's a pretty nice pistol , but does not handle as well as my VP9 nor does it conceal well. But , I did not going into thinking it would be a "conceal" choice , but rather a good shooter that was versatile in one package.

The trigger is getting better with use.

The grip is fine and somewhat less aggressive than my FNX45

It would not be the first pistol I grab as I ran out the door , but certainly not the worst one.

Other negatives to consider might be FN's track record on support and cost of mags.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 509 but am looking at something a little different. I kind of want a tactical but I am leaning more towards either two Mid size or to of the compact's sine you know the saying that one is none and two is one. Both of them I am looking at are RDS ready but the Mid size doesn't have the threaded barrel and night sights but the other Compact does does.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the 509 Tactical and the 509c Tactical.  They are both great pistols and I'd recommend them although like others I say the APEX trigger is a must.  If I were to do it again on the 509c I'd go with the version without the threaded barrel.  I'd prefer it to be shorter for carry.  With that said, if anyone has a 3.7" non-threaded barrel from the non-tactical model they want to swap for my threaded one  (4" with threading) let me know!

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 509 Tactical and the 509c Tactical.  They are both great pistols and I'd recommend them although like others I say the APEX trigger is a must.  If I were to do it again on the 509c I'd go with the version without the threaded barrel.  I'd prefer it to be shorter for carry.  With that said, if anyone has a 3.7" non-threaded barrel from the non-tactical model they want to swap for my threaded one  (4" with threading) let me know!

https://i.imgur.com/TXP4LQU.jpg

View Quote

That's a nice setup you got. I just got the 509c Tactical and put a 509c MRD on lay way which I will be picking up in a week or two after some more funds come in. I figured I'm going to run the 509c's as they are setup to run in multiple configurations from a CCW gun with the 12 round mag and a 15 or 24 round as back up or the. If you want it can run as a duty gun with the 15 and 24 round mag's or just run it as your SHTF gun with the 24 round mag's.

Of course I'll be adding some optics to both of them asap and I leaning more towards the DPP due to it's larger window but I have not ruled out a trijicon RMR either. I am still up in the air as to which one I might want to run as I have not really had a chance to try either of them and would like to before I buy one but around here they like carrying more china junk than anything.

As far as a barrel swap I might be down for it just let me scratch my head on it and I'll let you when i pick the 509c MRD up from lay way at the dealer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I really thought about getting the 509m to replace my CC, the only thing that kept me from picking one up was the lack of a threaded barrel. Once FN announced the 509c tactical, I placed my order and haven't looked back. With a 12 or 15 round magazine, it's perfect for CC and having the option to run the 17 or 24 round magazines is an awesome benefit.

The triggers on mine were both gritty and about 7 lbs of pull when new. Both have broken in very nicely, no longer gritty, and both are between 6 lbs and 6.5 lbs now. One of these days I'll install the APEX that's sitting on the bench, but I really don't mind the factory triggers now that they are nicely broken in. The only additional upgrade I would recommend would be the APEX HD striker assembly as a cheap precaution.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really thought about getting the 509m to replace my CC, the only thing that kept me from picking one up was the lack of a threaded barrel. Once FN announced the 509c tactical, I placed my order and haven't looked back. With a 12 or 15 round magazine, it's perfect for CC and having the option to run the 17 or 24 round magazines is an awesome benefit.

The triggers on mine were both gritty and about 7 lbs of pull when new. Both have broken in very nicely, no longer gritty, and both are between 6 lbs and 6.5 lbs now. One of these days I'll install the APEX that's sitting on the bench, but I really don't mind the factory triggers now that they are nicely broken in. The only additional upgrade I would recommend would be the APEX HD striker assembly as a cheap precaution.

https://i.imgur.com/BXLUNwd.jpg
View Quote

Yeah I was debating to go with either the Tactical or a mid size but really thought it out and decided to just run two of the compact's as like you said I can set either of them up how i want with one being the EDC gun with either two 12 rounders or a 12 and a 15 round back up. I can run either with the 12, 15, 17 and the 24 round mag's. I can set the other one up to run on my war belt with the 15, 17 or 24 round mag's. Both will be getting a RDS as soon as I decide on which one to run with.

I am picking up a Apex trigger kit for one now as I found a good deal on one an I'll get another one for the other gun shortly. I now need to find me a good OWB holster for it as I am not sure the holster for a full size or medium will work for the compact as far as slide length.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Non of my full size holsters properly fit the 509c. If I mounted a X300 to the 509c it would fit okay but it was being retained by the light, not the pistol. I have both IWB and OWB from ANR design and am happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Non of my full size holsters properly fit the 509c. If I mounted a X300 to the 509c it would fit okay but it was being retained by the light, not the pistol. I have both IWB and OWB from ANR design and am happy with them.
View Quote

Ok thanks I'll look at them a little more when I get a chance.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top